getting back to rebuilding.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: getting back to rebuilding.

Glad you have a heated indoor space to work in TC. Looks like you should stuff a little insulation between those studs though.

It looks like you are past the itchiest part of the job.

tallcanadian

Captain

we are getting there. most of the garage is done. we sneak in a bit of garage work between the boat and work.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

It's nice the way those stringer tabs have stayed in the hull. When you drop in the new stringers be sure to have lots of extra resin mixture pooled in those spaces that you can squish out to get an air free bond, you might even be able to clamp all along the sides of the tabs to get a nice tight fit. Cheap clamps can be made by slitting short peices of PVC pipe and spreading them open over the piece to be clamped, like big clothespins.

What kind of resin and filler are you using? Your progress looks great, keep it up!

Off topic but I have old old old family ties to Carbonear Newfoundland.

tallcanadian

Captain

thanks for the comments calico kid. i like your idea of the old stringer tabs. i was thinking of cutting them off but i do like your idea. i am using interlux epoxy resin and 1.5 ounce fiberglass mat. i'm going to use this mat for all my rebuild. and this resin is awesome. no smell to it and it gives you somewhat of a generous hardening time so you don't have to rush putting it in place. i'm glad to hear of your family ties me son. newfoundland is a beautiful spot. and the fishing is awesome. and the moose. we call moose newfoundland speed bumps, cause there is a ton of them. over 750 moose car accidents just last year.

tallcanadian

Captain

more updated pics on site. and a video. back end of boat is just about done. the stringers and floor are next. i think i will use cloth for the stringers because of the folds. so far so good.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

So far so good indeed! How does that Johnson run?

tallcanadian

Captain

the motor is perfect. i'm very pleased with the performance and the power. it's a 45 commercial and pushes weight very nicely. i've hauled a couple loads of wood with her and have had as many as six people in the boat at one time with very little speed loss. so i figure with less water weight, i'm hoping she will be a bit faster...or at least one can hope.