hi crew - RIB or sportsboat...can ye help?

dom_m

Cadet
hi there

i'm another newcomer to boating - i have been training this season and got my RYA Powerboat Level 2, RYA Sea Survival and RYA Day Skipper Theory done in preperation

i live overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Cornwall, UK and am looking for a boat to get me out into the sea for fishing, wakeboarding, kitesurfing, and general fun

Budget is around £25,000 or about US$47,500

i was originally looking at a RIB around 6.5m, but my eye keeps getting drawn towards rigid hull sports boats. The sea around here can get very wild, but i'm limiting the use to the warmer months and don't intend to head out in anything much over a Force 5. we have a choice of launches here so will be heading for the sheltered option in case of large swells hitting

i'm attracted to the sports boat because of the cuddy set up and the inreased protection from the elements for those onboard, also they look so much more fun and luxurious than a RIB

but what sort of sports boat will i be looking at for good seakeeping abilities? what size and brand might i look at in my budget?

or is it a case of having to settle for a RIB?

any help and guidance much appreciated

dom moore

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hi crew - RIB or sportsboat...can ye help?

i think you need to get with a local boating program, power squadron, they will know what is best for your area. also, look around at what others are using. in rough weather they all can capsize. sounds like you have the funding for a boat with the better ammenities.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with tashasdaddy on relying on local knowledge. Fishing boats with a cuddy cabin can also be used for cruising and water sports. A bit more practical than the stylish sport boats, especially those with an outboard motor. RIBS are mostly for big waves and speed, especially in combination. Here are some threads on a UK site that may help -

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mby&Number=1040226

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mby&Number=1090454

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1119690/

Kelly Cook

dom_m

Cadet

thanks for the replies there guys - kelly thanks for those links too, another good resource for me to plunder!

well i'll be checking some boats out this winter, and hopefully posting on here again to share what boat i get with you all

thanks again

QC

Supreme Mariner

dom,

Your budget is a different thing than here that's for sure. How much of the general maintenance and repairs will you be able to do yourself? This may determine whether or not a used boat will make sense for you. Also, you need to think about your fuel budget etc. there more than we do here. I laugh when our guys here talk about fuel costs, I happen to know what you pay . . . Diesel is way more popular in small boats in the UK than here, another consideration that may change what boats you consider. Here. I agree with Kelly on the fishing boat with an OB. Here's what I think fits your needs and weather:

r225fx_02.gif

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Welcome to Iboats dom ...... how are you gonna kitesurf behind a boat? ... sorry I couldn't resist ..... anyway .... For your sea conditions there I would suggest a rib as it can handle the conditions much better ... but you are right it's not as attractive as a nice speedboat ..... the pic that QC posted here would be perfect for you if you can afford it .... wakeboarding behind one of those beasts is quite thrill as it makes a huge wake ......

dom_m

Cadet

thanks again for the further insights there guys - QC i hadnt considered a fishing boat but i see now that it makes a lot of sense and would tick many boxes - the search widens!

deejay - re kitesurfing application for boat, it would be used as a safety boat for flat offshore seas and maybe the odd downwinder. the beahes here are so crowded in the summer and restrictions come into play so it would hopefully facilitate a few more days riding. i like the rib in this respect as the rider can offer their gear up from the sides of the boat and not just the stern

i'm gonna get a ride in a few boats down this way as my next move

it looks like we are loosing our cheaper 'red deisel' here in the UK. when that happens, it'll cost more than petrol per gallon, although of course wont go as far. but it does make an interesting offset regarding that petrol engines seem to be cheaper...and now there is now saving on deisel prices to compensate

great forum btw and thanks for the friendly welcome. will be droping in often i'm sure

dom_m

Cadet
boat ordered...

boat ordered...

hi Nos4r2 - i've been lurking on the rib forum for a few weeks now and it's great reading!

well boat not exactly ordered but i have chosen one now - deposit paid and subject to survey and sea trial

she's a sunseeker offshore 28, twin mercruiser 470's

for the price i couldn't find a boat that looked to be in better condition...and diesels at that price were almost non existant

sp - survey sometime this week or week after, and if that all goes well - fairwell spare change!

i have a pontoon berth organised that can be access at half tides, and got the insurance quote sorted

all that remains now is to get out there - i'm gonna be more excited than the day i passed my driving test i think...

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dom - you may want to search around in the Merc engine forum & see what has been said about the 470 engine. I do not recall reading anything good about it.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I hope you've got a big wallet for that fuel bill! :%

I wouldn't buy an inboard petrol in the UK...

dom_m

Cadet

Nos4r2 said:

thats an interesting comment. most other people have had positive things to say about my prospective purchase

i assume you have reasons for advising against buying a petrol boat in the UK, but they might not be relevant to me. how can i tell as you don't want to share them

i get the feeling that your reply was not intended as friendly advice to a newcomer, but more to try and make me feel uncomfortable

i'll enjoy my boating this year all the same. 8)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hey guys any of you into zapcat racing there? .......

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

dom_m said:
Nos4r2 said:

thats an interesting comment. most other people have had positive things to say about my prospective purchase

i assume you have reasons for advising against buying a petrol boat in the UK, but they might not be relevant to me. how can i tell as you don't want to share them

i get the feeling that your reply was not intended as friendly advice to a newcomer, but more to try and make me feel uncomfortable

i'll enjoy my boating this year all the same. 8)

Sorry-not checked in here for a while.

I wasn't intending to make you feel uncomfortable at all-far from it and I hope you enjoy your new boat.

The reason I wouldn't buy an inboard petrol in the UK is quite simple-the amount of fuel they use and the cost of fuel (around £1.20 a litre or £5.70ish per gallon) in UK ports. Compared with a diesel they'll burn a lot more fuel at cruising speed. (you'll get a lot more get up and go for that though).

That's a lot of fuel to be carrying in jerrycans at 25kg a time if you don't want to pay the horrendously inflated fuel costs in UK marinas or don't have access to a fuel berth at your home port.
I wouldn't be surprised to see average fuel consumption in excess of 20 gallons per hour. If that's the 165hp mercruiser 470 I think it is then 330hp isn't a lot for a boat that size so possibly higher consumption than that.

BTW, I think I found her advert on B&O if she's coming from Pindar and she looks beautiful. Enjoy d:)

dom_m

Cadet

sorry for jumping in with both feet there...re read your original post after your reply and i see where you;re coming from

water under the bridge and lets be friends?

i'm on ribnet as mickjones. see you down the line

ps - thanks for kind comment there, she is from pindar!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

you should get a boat that is gas powered. Petrol is something im not frimilliar with. Or you could get a solar powered boat.

dom_m

Cadet

i'm not familiar with what frimilliar is. petrol - that is what you put in your car. you call it gas, but it's actually a liquid when you buy it

i think you should get a solar powered boat, to go with your solar powered torch. then you can motor off to night school and learn how to take the **** out of people properly

:}

dom_m

Cadet

deejaycee_2000 said:
Hey guys any of you into zapcat racing there? .......

i'm not, but there is a circuit that goes around the UK each year!

in june, there is an event at the beach that my house overlooks - watergate bay, cornwall

there's a lot of zapcats around here. many people use them for safety craft on windsurf and kitesurf lessons

i like to think that i will aquire one in a couple of months perhaps. or maybe an avon searider 4m-ish, for blasting around the bay, and as a rescue craft for my kitesurf tuition

there a big scene in SA?