Motor Oil Warning - Almost ruined my engine

H20Bo

Cadet
I just wanted to pass on a lesson learned. I bought some 30W oil from a national auto parts store for my end of season change. After changing oil, I noticed it was SAE SA rated. At first thought no big deal, its only in there for 30 - 50 hrs. Wrong!!!! Researched it on the internet and found a study by an association of auto manufacturers. The wear and sludge pictures after 150 hrs of use will have me draining it from my engine ASAP. So, make sure you check the SAE rating before you buy.

Jim

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Oil Warning - Almost ruined my engine

Jim, thanks for the heads up. I have straight 30W in my engine and now you've got me wondering about it. What brand of oil are you referring to?

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never paid that much attention to the ratings on oil before. Typically just stick with well known names and you often won't run into this problem. I did realize that I had no idea how the rating system worked though. Pasted it below for any newbies like me who aren't familiar with it. A is the lowest quality oil.

Taken from Chevron website:
The first letter indicates the vehicle fuel type that the oil is designed for. Ratings that begin with an "S" are intended for gasoline engines. Ratings that begin with a "C" are for diesel engine. The second letter designates the quality level of the motor oil. The higher the letter, the more advanced the oil and the more protection it offers your engine. An SJ oil can be used in any engine requiring an SB, SG, SH, etc. oil.

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way, do you still have links to the sludge pictures? I am a little curious myself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jim, I think the second letter in the rating tends to be updated every few years or so. If you look at owners manuals for some older cars, you will see the older oil ratings called out. I think this means you bought old oil. I think they are up to an SE or SF rating as of the last few years. I did not think manufacturers would make oil whose ratings were obsolete, which is why I think the oil you bought was old(10 years +).

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chris, looks like you've been in this game a long time! The most recent rating is actually SJ from what I've seen.

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

The latest API rating is SM. You should always use oil with the latest rating as they are backwards compatable.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Guys, Thanks for the update. Come to think or it my '95 automobile needed the "SE" rated oil. I forgot it was so long ago.

H20Bo

Cadet

The point of the post was that the rating was not even on the front label. It was by chance that I looked at the back and saw the SA rating. Granted, it was just a store brand from an auto parts place, but I assumed that it would be of the latest or at least one level off of current. I found the study by doing a Google "SA motor oil". About the 2nd or 3rd site is "GM Oil Life System". Thats where the pics. are. Major brands are probably current.
Jim

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

SA is still being produced and is in use. All of the early API rated oil was and still is non-detergent. Some engines and other equipment specifies non-detergent oil. API rateings are usually on the back of the container.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I will buy a cheapy oil if it is the latest API rating . . . With that said, I still get sucked into the Mercruiser scam of using a unique weight . . . 25W40 :|

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Well. I know EXACTLY what you did. You picked up SAE 30 NON DETERGENT OIL. API service SA

I have a quart sitting right here. I use it for older power trim systems. It has NO additives. Never did, never will. Its a straight mineral oil. Period. States right on the label for use in engines built after 1930, but NOT in modern engines. That said, there is no harm done in a 20 minute warm up and fog for winter storage, just dump it in the spring. Next time read the label!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

HBO said:
The point of the post was that the rating was not even on the front label. Jim

Again, as a heads up for those NOT in the know. I bet ya a hundred bucks it says NON DETERGENT right there on the front label. That s how SA oil is designated..

Bondo

Staff member

Oh Boy,....................

Another Oil Thread,..................:/

I Honestly Believe,........
You can Safely substitute "Oil" for the "Grease" in My signature,..........
And have No Problems what so Ever.............

That Said,.......
Mobil 1, 15W-50 is in all of My Boat engines,...........
And, either Mobil 1 or Valveoline 75W-90 in the Gearcases............

Everything Else has Shell Rotella T, 15W-40 in the crankcase...............

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh . . .

DHPMARINE

Captain

The oil is simmering .......

Right as you go past the doorstop ........

You see the steam arising ......

and you KNOW .......

It's time for Pop Corn and sitting back.

DHP

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Non-detergent oil is required for the pump in my power washer (it uses regular detergent oil for the engine). My guess is that this might have to do with damaging the gaskets used in the pump....

Whatever the reason, I suspect there are other non-engine applications that require non-detergent oil. So in a sense, there is at least one exception to the 'all SAE oils are backward compatable' maxim.