Marine Toolkit (newbie boater needs to know)

KRS

Banned
Re: Marine Toolkit (newbie boater needs to know)

what is your engine/drive/boat?

Mine is a mercruiser and it's all SAE, no metric.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I saw the second link you posted. The first did not work. You dont need all the sockets. Only the ones that actually fit something on the boat. You are also gonna want some other items not in the list... Boat related tools. Some of the site's veterans might be able to help you with that better than I can.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the first kit is a good basic kit for anyone. you need to know if you have more sae or metric on your boat. add duct tape, gloves (thing get hot), and a simple electrical tester,a good flashlight. you are not going to be doing major repairs on the water. every pound you add to the boat effects performance. make sure you have all the coast guard equipment. know your service manual. if boating off shore or in their service area, a vhf radio, and a seatow membership is good
http://seatow.com/

ricksrster

Commander

What Tashasdaddy said. Plus i take on my boat wire stripper/crimpers and various connectors.

tommays

Admiral

I really try to stay ahead of things before i leave the dock.

This year my vacation was in late Aug and rather than risk it i changed all 3 fuel filters As you would be hard pressed to do it on the water even if you had spares

I keep a lot of stuff on my boat BUT the PROP is buy far the most likely problem :)

Your most likely to have and electric problem and If you dont know baSic DC trouble shooting your going to be out of luck anyway :)

Tommays

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

zip ties, extra set of spark plugs, extra set of fuses.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Do you boat in salt water? If so just get cheap tools to store on board since they'll get wrecked anyway. For mechanical tools, adjustable crecent wrench (small, like a 6"), spark plug socket & driver bar if you've got spark plugs on board or expect the engine could get dunked, needle nosed and vice grip pliers. A few screwdrivers especially cheap ones you can pry with.

Spray them all down with your favorite corrosion beater like rust check or WD-40 and store them in a cheap dollar store tool box.

Try to go for a small, light, well thought out kit rather than bringing the kitchen sink. Lots of other good ideas above. If you're going to carry a prop, make sure you've got a wrench to fit the prop nut. Zip ties are a must.

Up here a waterproof flashlight is a required by law item on things larger than a row boat.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I put my tools into heavy duty ziplock bags to help keep them dry.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a Craftsman set of sockets I bought on sale. Thay came in their own box. I added another box with screw drivers, pliers, etc.

Whenever I work on the boat for basic maintenance and repair, I always use the tools that I leave on the boat. If I find that I am having to go into the garage to get a tool that I don't have on the boat, it is time to add that specific tool to the boat tool box.

Other than basic tools, I also have a multimeter, hammer, duct tape, shop rags, prop wrench, spare drain plug, spare props, spare fuses, couple qts of oil and probably a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy enough tools to accomplish the jobs you know how to do on your own. These would be essentially the same ones you use to make repairs and do maintenance. If you don't do your own repairs and maintenance while on land, then will you be able to fix something on the water even if you have the tools?

I don't know how to say this without sounding like an ass, and I really don't mean to, but if you have to ask which tools you need it sounds like you don't know the mechanical basics to begin with. There's no point taking a tool to do something you can't do.

dpeace

Cadet

thanks for all the good info.

i have a mercruiser 5.0 in my Renken 255 Cuddy Cabin (25.5 ft). not sure if that's sae or metric. please advise.

I bought a pretty comprehensive set from target for a decent price. I will take the advice to scale down the kit to absolutely what I need once I figure that out.

I am very good with electrical/electronics and already have my multimeter on board since i've been installing my gps/fishfinder.

thanks again!

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 5.0 is a GM block, so it will be SAE. However, I have at least one metric item on my Alpha One drive (the trim anode bolt). Not sure if the other parts on the drives are metric. I don't believe anything on that engine will be metric.

seifs2001

Cadet

A great way to keep spare parts out of the moisture is seal them with a Sealameal vacumn packer I even throw a bag of desicant in with my spark plugs. I don't know how many times I have seen zipper bags somehow let moisture in but not out

ziggy

Admiral

I bought a pretty comprehensive set from target for a decent price

i'd be causious of those decently priced, comprehensive sets of tools made in china. the tools would be substandard and can be prone to breaking just when ya need them most.....craftsman tools is a much better idea.......

studlymandingo

Commander

I have a Plano toolbox that has a gasket around the top to keep out water. I always boat in saltwater and have had no corrosion or rust on my tools inside the box.​

Coors

Captain

In addition to the rest, I have hoses and clamps for every size hose I have, and copper fittings that will fit internally for a splice.

Coors

Captain

And, owning a Cobra, (not a black anchor), I carry a spare impeller, as it can be replaced in 15 minutes. I will now run and hide from the assaults that will be forth-coming.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

And, owning a Cobra, (not a black anchor), I carry a spare impeller, as it can be replaced in 15 minutes. I will now run and hide from the assaults that will be forth-coming.
And that Cobra impeller change only needs one size socket for the whole job..:)