What can we do to be more Green?? (Save money and energy)

Pony

Rear Admiral
I was going to add this to another thread, but thought it deserved its own thread. So is anyone making an attempt to be green? Carpool? Fuel efficient vehicle?? or nothing at all? What would you do if you had the resources or money??

I just bought (today in fact) a moped that should get me about 90mpg. I plan to use it to and from work during the weather that permit it, and around town when the freeway isnt a need.

Just put an insert in the fireplace and will heat the house with it this winter. Just yesterday me and my dad split a few cords of wood and still have some more to go.

Have been carpooling to college with a guy from work.

Walking to the store if I can.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: What can we do to be Green??

And your boat is not being used, right?

The only thing I am doing is some side work for more green in my pocket to spruce up my boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Define "green".

Pony

Rear Admiral

I'm not saying that anyone be required to do so. Its their choice and not mine to make. I was just wondering for sake of discussion what people here are doing if anything. I just got the implication from your response that you think I am suggesting people do more or that I think I am somewhow better for doing something. I am not, and know that I am not better. If thats not what you meant all then my bad for misreading ya.

I am using my boat. More so than ever before actually. The $ spent the gallons used is less important to me than spending quality time with my dad.

Pony

Rear Admiral

QC said:
Define "green".

Just more energy conscious. Not completely living off the land by anymeans...............

QC

Supreme Mariner

It may look like I was picking a fight Pony, but I am serious. If green means clean then your OBs and the Moped have to go. So does the firewood . . . Nobody that counts this stuff cares about time with your Dad either.

What I am doing is staking my career on a low Greenhouse Gas product. The fact is that I am in it for the money if that ever materializes . . . What this industry has taught me is nobody knows what green is, or clean for that matter.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If green means efficiency then we should all ride the bus and chuck pleasure boats . . . We'll have to join a new forum and figure out alternative places to bond with our fathers and children.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

+o(+o(+o(+o(+o(
No one will do jack until it is inconvenient.....
The mutants down south will not have to worry about cold in the winter......
The illegal immigrant mutants that is....
The ones who get heat vouchers from Chavez will be more than OK, though.....
It will be warm enough to breed!

Pony

Rear Admiral

I hear ya loud and clear QC. I get to lean a lot about designing a "green" house is my architecture classes. I should've expressed the question differently. I knew you werent picking a fight.

puddle jumper

Captain

For me going green is to consume less with less wast.
I think depending were you are you will see more solar or wind power plants.The goverment on the island are building wind power plants becouse we always have a wind.It looks like it will power the north end verry well.I do dout that my power bill will go down.:|

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: What can we do to be Green?? (Save money and energy)

No buses to ride here, no mass transit at all. I do burn wood to cut the heating bill though.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I tried the bus system for about a day. I still had to drive to a park n' ride, and the bus schedule really didnt correlate well with mine. I got stuck waiting 40 minutes in the rain down on campus.............that was about enough for me.

crunch

Commander

Green, well there is a subject we can fight about for weeks... it's a two edged sword.

We all know nuclear power plants are bad, right?

We all know that coal power plants are bad, right?

We all know oil fired plants are bad, right?

We all know that to save a tree, we should ask for plastic instead of paper at the store, right?

Use man made materials instead of natural, right?

Farm without pesticides, right?

Use natural fertilizers, right?

If you answered yes to more than 5, you aren’t green, you have condemned 90% of the human race to death.

ricksrster

Commander

Are you guys burning the tree huggers buddies in the fireplace?

Pony

Rear Admiral

custombycrunch said:
Green, well there is a subject we can fight about for weeks... it's a two edged sword.

We all know nuclear power plants are bad, right?

We all know that coal power plants are bad, right?

We all know oil fired plants are bad, right?

We all know that to save a tree, we should ask for plastic instead of paper at the store, right?

Use man made materials instead of natural, right?

Farm without pesticides, right?

Use natural fertilizers, right?

If you answered yes to more than 5, you aren’t green, you have condemned 90% of the human race to death.

Exactly.....thats why I changed the title of the thread. Realistically I should edit out "green" completely.....not too mention saving money has nothing to do with it.

crunch

Commander
Re: What can we do to be more Green?? (Save money and energy)

.Now, without being facetious:

I leave the windows open all night to cool the house.

I close the windows before it gets hot during the day.

Keep window shades (r-3) closed against the sun.

dress accordingly.

I haven't run the air or heat for 6 months.

I don't expect to run it much more
over the winter when it gets down to a chilling 60 degrees.... F

What can I say?.... I live in the right part of the world. 8)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Become leaner citizens. Better for our health and its cheaper to transport a lighter load. Just a thought.........SS

crunch

Commander

Just think lighter thoughts... they will buoy you up to a higher plane where your enlightenment can be fulfilled.

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Number one thing we need to do is find an alternative fuel source IE e85 of something along those lines, and make it cheaper than any other source of fuel then with more nuke plants supplying power as well as spartict clean coal plants we would be greanner and richer. And once agian we could let the middle east turn back into the sand crap box that it is.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh I thought being green means tossing the empties into the bed and giving them away to the scouts!!!!

I go through a winter routine yearly to conserve energy (well to conserve my money$$$$). I re-do weather sealing on my home (built circa 1860's) and pray for mild winters (is praying for mild winters considered green :) )