1989 Yamaha 50ELF HELP!!!!

ppidgursky

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 Yamaha 50ELF HELP!!!!

The reason I am bringing up the float is the seloc manual says "Too high a level can promote rich running and spark plug fouling, while excessively low float bowl fuel levels can cause lean conditions, possibly leading to engine damage."
I figured whats one more tare down to assure everything is right..

Peter

ppidgursky

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 Yamaha 50ELF HELP!!!!

Alright.
I went the lake yesterday. At first she ran like a champ. No problems. Idled, took off good, accelaerated..all with no problem. We skipped around the lake fishing. At one point we decided to move. We ran low speed for a few minutes, then we took off. Ran real good and fast. Then, total shut down. I tried to crank it back up, but no go. She cranked slowly like the battery was dead...which it was not. Then when she did crank she would not start. I got her to start by lifting the warm up lever and cranking. At that point I could smell fuel.
So we took off, full throttle went about hundred yards, then died again. Again, I could smell fuel. I figured she might be flooding so we sat a few minutes with it off. I opened the throttle all the way(with it off) to air out the carbs. She started back up, and we were off. As long as I did not go WOT, it was fine. We got back to dock on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle without incident.
It seems I go from one extreme to another. Any thoughts?
Peter