'79 20hp Mercury Start but won't Run

billybass

Cadet
I have a 1979 , 20hp Merc that been setting up for two years. I just recently put a new water pump and cleaned and put new gaskets in the carb. The motor will start momentarily, but will not keep running, I did not put a new fuel pump in the carb. while I had it apart. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: '79 20hp Mercury Start but won't Run

If you pump the bulb will it stay running?

And Welcome to iboats!

timmathis

Lieutenant

Do you have a manual for this motor?

billybass

Cadet

EricKems said:
If you pump the bulb will it stay running?

And Welcome to iboats!

No, Eric, I tried pumping the bulb, while it was running and it still would not keep running.

billybass

Cadet

deejaycee_2000 said:
did you clean the carbs properly?

You might have found the answer to my problem, I probably did not clean the carb as well as I should have, I kinda thought that might be it and after your questioning it, I think I should take the carb off and do a more thorough job. Are there any particular spot that I should give more attention to than others?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yes, there is .... take it apart and soak in carb cleaner for at least over night, then blow out all the jets etc. and all the little holes and things with compressed air ... put together correctly and that should do it .... good luck ...

billybass

Cadet

deejaycee_2000 said:
yes, there is .... take it apart and soak in carb cleaner for at least over night, then blow out all the jets etc. and all the little holes and things with compressed air ... put together correctly and that should do it .... good luck ...

billybass

Cadet

deejaycee_2000 said:

Thank you, I appreciate your help.