Grass Fishing

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just watched a Tommy Martin video on grass fishing. In the video he says just fish the edges, period. He says not to waste any time going out into the grass. Allot of the guys I've fished with will go out into the middle of a big grass/weed bed and fish all day. What we'll end up doing is trolling around in the grass just dropping jigs or Senko's into any little holes we see along the way. Every once in a while we'll get lucky and pull out a fish. What do you guys think?

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Grass Fishing

It's all depends on the pattern, weather condition, fishing pressure, tide (if on tidal water). If you can catch a good limit on the edge then don't waste the time in the thick stuff. If condition get tough then you gotta go in, the bigger one are alway in the middle of the jungle.

Ron G

Commander

i'll be in the jungle saturday armed with a rat and a 1oz jigd:)

gonefishie

Commander

i'll be in the jungle saturday armed with a rat and a 1oz jig

dude! wish I were you man. That ought to be lots of fun, I can't handle them 1oz jig for too long though, it kills my hand. Just like cranking a DT16.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

No fishy fishy for me this weekend, off to see my niece get married in Sunny FL. 8)

gonefishie

Commander

You're going to Fl. and you're not gonna fish? what's the matter with you?:^

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Well I wish I had the time. Fly In, Party with the old friends and family, Wedding, Party with the new friends and family, Get up Hungover, go to the Sportsbar and Party with my Fantasy football friends, catch a plane home. My Daughter asked me If I wanted to go while I was there but Just dont see it getting done :'(

Sorry Kool, did not mean to hijack your thread o:)

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem danpemby. I'll take the grass fishing responses to mean you guys do go out into it, not just fish the edges. Thanks

Ron G

Commander

kool i always fish the outside edges first and most of all the points and pockets,then work inside and dont forget the backside if there is one.
GF will be at guntersville,heard its been really tough the last 2 weeks it only took 12lbs to win a local boy tourney thats not much at all.the fish are waiting to move in the back of creeks,but if i dont find them this week i'll be going back next week and im speanding a long weekend down there the end of october the rat bite should be awsome then.
Dan get early and going fishing then go to the sportsbar if your hung over you need to bite the dog that bit yad:)d:)always worked for me

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Ron, The hair is The cure for sure. Only one bass lake in the Tampa bay area and that is Lake Seminole. Used to be great then the Water fleas took over. Don't know how it is any more. My daughter and her crew fish the Gulf. Have you seen what comes out of there? Never know what might be at the other end with bigger teeth that I have, LOL :$

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'm going to try and get out tomorrow to practice.

Ron G

Commander

Kool is your home lake a grass lake?if it is fish it during the winter when all the grass dies out,go to the places were you fish grass in the summer and find the litlle ditches and creek hannels,humps and beands and points,then next spring go back and fish those areas when the grass has covered them all up.and you'll be catching fish all summer.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the winter there's a foot of ice on the lake. But to your point of mapping the bottom, I am going to start learning how to use my electronics a little more effectively. I was just watching some of the pros on ESPN this Saturday very precisely targeting structure and fish with their depth finders. Then they were drop-shotting, watching their baits, and the strikes on the depth finders. I'm not even close to being able to do that with mine. I'm taking a day off to practice this week. (I hope)