*RESOLVED* why does my windows xp slow down sometimes?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
windows XP sp2,
sometimes it works normally then it just slows down. I mean s-l-o-w. It's not the kind of slow where the hard drive is chattering to catch up, either.

Norton says I'm virus-free. I've disabled every service that I couldn't positively identify.

The clock loses about 8 hours out of every 24.

Seems to do better with the cover off. But cleaning the dust out of the cpu heat sink didn't help at all. And I can't manually detect any hot spots.

Couple things that happen when it slows down: the mouse pointer moves freely. The taskbar set to hide takes forever to appear. Rightclick on the desktop, the menu appears as a ghost image (after a delay), mouseover it changes to normal appearance, click on a choice, the menu disappears except for the selected highlighted menu choice. After a delay, the selected action is completed.

any ideas?

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer
Re: why does my windows xp slow down sometimes?

When it happens open task mangler and go to the processes tab, from there sort on CPU highest to lowest. Whatch to see what programs/ services are using CPU. My guess would be Norton is running a scan but thats just a guess.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

What processor does your system have? How much RAM?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

2.7 ghz intel celeron
1.024 mb RAM (2 x 512)
RAM-sharing video
512 L2 cache

The problem seems to occur randomly, and sometimes resolves itself randomly, but more often requires some down time.

At first I suspected Norton but turning off all the Norton features has no effect.

System restore to 30 days prior didn't help either.

I'm inclined to believe its a hardware issue. Out of warranty. I believe replacement motherboard is still available but...what if it's the cpu...

thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

CPU's have come down in price. Is there any specific program that runs slow? I had a similar situation of slow running and I cleared all the cache - didn't work! I was going nuts and I discovered it was my DSL modem killing me. I replaced the modem and I have not had any problems. I spoke with a tech guy who said oh yeah the modem is on 24/7 and has alot to do with the rest of my system.

I would agree it sounds like a hardware problem now to figure out which piece. My trick with my modem was to turn it off for 2 minutes and then re-power it. That worked quite a few times until I replaced it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

bob, while some programs don't seem to be affected by it (ms word for example), internet always is...but it never happens to the other (older) computer on the serial connection of the same DSL modem. Course that computer is slow and running windows 98...

thanks, I'll try the modem trick.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Do you have Norton home with the firewall? if so remove all norton programs except the AV and the Live update feature and see of that helps.
If not could be bad RAM.
[ I got my notch jtexas :love: ]

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

[At first I suspected Norton but turning off all the Norton features has no effect.
/quote]

It's still there and it is your problem.

Get Rid of Norton! your better off not having Anti Virus software than using Norton.

First off Un-install it which won't get rid of it entirely but it's a start, then download and install AVG "free" Anti-Virus.......It's a much better program and won't take over and bog down your system like Norton or MacAfee DO ......

Good Luck....where has excuseme been..he can explain it better......

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

PierBridge said:
Get Rid of Norton! your better off not having Anti Virus software than using Norton.

First off Un-install it which won't get rid of it entirely but it's a start, then download and install AVG "free" Anti-Virus.......

Just my opinion, but I disagree with this. Norton AV alone is a good program.
If AVG was that good, why don't businesses use it?
We had a school district that used AVG, until the worm problem a few years ago. They don't use it anymore.
But if you do go this route, use Zone Alarm or some other firewall.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

It's one of the worst programs ever created....... and if you took a vote of people who work on "fix" and build computers it probably would be number ONE......

Why do millions of people use it...... many reasons but mainly because there forced to use it unfortunately it comes bundled in almost all new pc's "whole nother topic"..........

Xcusme

Commander

Well,I'm back after a 9 day stint in Florida re-plumbing my sisters house.....but that's another story.

As for Norton AV, I don't use it anymore. I think the last version I used was 2004. Seems,Symantec had a wee problem with Live Update getting it's file dates hosed and wouldn't update the def files. It was a long process to manually patch the file versions and do some file editing to get the files back in sync, what a pain. As for the program working, it was OK. I gave up on it and went to another anti-virus program. Just like others have figured out, computer protection is all about layers of protection. An anti virus program is just one of those layers. Having a good hard and soft firewall is important too. Don't expect the firewall to stop virilli and don't expect the antivirus program to do stateful packet inspection, they're two different tools.

I've used Peter Nortons' Undelete when it first hit the market...that was a very long time ago. The problem , as I see it, is that a lot of companies add frills and add-on's to try to add functionality, but sometimes it goes very badly. They should stay with what works and leave off the fluff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....(just my opinion).

Quote:
"It's one of the worst programs ever created....... and if you took a vote of people who work on "fix" and build computers it probably would be number ONE......

Why do millions of people use it...... many reasons but mainly because there forced to use it unfortunately it comes bundled in almost all new pc's "whole nother topic".........."

It's not the WORST program for the purpose, but there are better solutions. I certainly wouldn't rate it as #1 either. Folks are 'forced' to use it?? hardly...any program can be uninstalled and the fragments can be removed if they know a bit about the registry, so dumping it is not a major road block.

To sort out the slow computer issue , a couple of things come to mind. Go into the bios and see if there's a section called PC Health. You should see the MB voltages,CPU core voltages etc. Look at the normal temps for the MB and CPU right after a truly cold boot on a cold processor.Watch the temps rise to a static level. If they seem high for your processor,pull the CPU and you'll probably have a square pad of heatsink compound stuck to the underside of the cooler. Scrape it off, clean with alcohol and apply fresh compound and reinstall the cooler. Go to your neighborhood auto repair and ask for a small packet of silicone heatsink compound (they use it on spark modules) they usually have tons of them laying about. One packet will do 5-10 CPU's. Check / replace the CMOS battery. Run on only 1 stick of ram at a time to identify a defective module. Clean the Video processor fan if so equipped. Run ccleaner.exe (Google it). Defrag the HD's and keep the resident programs and TSR's to minimum. Keep running processes to a minimum level also. Move the Page File off of the primary partition (Ex: Drive D) or to a HD on the secondary IDE channel.

I could go on , but , you get the idea.....

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Heatsink compound...probably didn't help when I cleaned it all off without replacing it the other day.

Disconnecting DSL modem - no effect.

So, is the slow-running clock a clue?

thanks, xcuseme I'll get started on this stuff tonight!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

It definitely didn't help that you didn't replace it.
Did your problems start after or before you cleaned it all off?

For the clock, change the battery on the MB.

AK Chappy

Xcusme

Commander

Yea, bad idea not replacing the compound. Just for grins, get a CPU temp reading from the bios before you replace the compound and then again after, you should see a big difference in temps. Depending on your MB, try running either a utility to monitor the CPU and MB temps that came with your MB or install Motherboard Monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/. You can watch your CPU speed too. If the CPU speed drops with a CPU temp rise, you've got a temperature issue with the CPU (Fan , CPU, compound). It can be an airflow problem in the case too. Two case fans, one blowing in at the front, one blowing out at the rear can help. I hope you're not overclocking with no compound!

If your time clock is right at a bios level, but loses time in Windows, it's probably a CPU load issue. Your losing clock cycles somewhere.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Folks are 'forced' to use it?? hardly...any program can be uninstalled and the fragments can be removed if they know a bit about the registry, so dumping it is not a major road block.

Technically speaking you are correct, but IMO 95 percent of all people who buy a computer are forced to use it, one because it's on the Computer and installed and two because they don't know any better or realize they have better options that won't BOG down your system.....

Trust me folks Excuseme is being to kind here,,,,,I'll dig up old post where excuseme explains what a resource hog and pile a junk "paraprasing" Norton and MacFee really are.

Your solution is simple back up your Data and re-install your operating system........You may arleady have a back up image made if not once the Operating system is installed and your prefered programs are reinstalled make a Back up image of your Drive "i use Acronis excuseme may use something else"

Good luck.....

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Checked the ram one stick at a time both still do it.

Uninstalled Norton, frequency and duration of "spells" decreased but didn't stop. I'm about 2 months into a 2 year subscription to the Norton suite...when (if) I get this issue resolved I'm going to try and stick with it.

Haven't been able to find heatsink compound, still looking.

Spent some quality time with my DSL provider tech support - modem is functional.

Couldn't find a temp reading in BIOS. Didn't yet get a chance to try the livewiredev program linked above.

If I add a fan...plenty of spare power connectors for drives - would you tap into one of those or is there some kind of splitter for the existing fan power supply?

Thanks all for the advice keep it coming

The wife is about ready to call Geek Squad...

Xcusme

Commander

jtexas said:
Haven't been able to find heatsink compound, still looking.

Couldn't find a temp reading in BIOS. Didn't yet get a chance to try the livewiredev program linked above.

If I add a fan...plenty of spare power connectors for drives - would you tap into one of those or is there some kind of splitter for the existing fan power supply?

You find the compound at Radio Shack.

Many bios' don't have the PC Health section, it's nice when they do!

You can add fans, either to the MB connectors or to the drive 4 pin power connectors. There are 'Y-splitter' type power cable adaptors to add additional power connections if you're running short. The MB types can be monitored for RPM's thru the bios or a seperate monitoring program.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

jtexas said:
Uninstalled Norton, frequency and duration of "spells" decreased but didn't stop. ...

That's because you can't totally unistall Norton in the method used.

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, it has to be uninstalled in safe mode. What about spyware. Have you run Adaware at all?

boatsource

Cadet

Out of curiosity, does it lose time if the computer is turned off?

Are all your fans running ok? How long have you had XP installed?

It does sound like something is overheating or flaking out when it warms up. It could be anything from motherboard, to cpu, video card, memory, power supply or it could be, as someone mentioned, a re-install time (but doesn't sound like that as much).

Probably inconvenient but you said it seems better with the case open plus turning off Norton (less processing + cover off = less heat). Try opening up the box and have a fan blowing in it. Just a regular fan you use in the house to keep it cool.

I'm not recommending that as a fix but just to see if it makes a difference. Although I have had computers where I've done that andI did have a 2400 baud modem that ran without the cover and with a fan on it for 8 years or so!