Think I may have blew my motor.....Now what.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice
Quick history. I've used the boat twice this year and it performed fine. I've been letting my 21 y/o son used it to go sking, and he say's it's been fine until the last time he used it. He said it would hardly run and smoked alot. Over the course of the 2 or 3 year's I've owned it, it seemed like it fouls alot of plug's. I calle my local shop and he said it sounded like he was using too much oil.

So today I drained all the gas out and started off fresh with new plug's, a can of Sea Foam, 20 gal of gas, and 60 oz. of penzoil. When I took off from the dock all seemed well, except maybe just a touch low on power, but I thought that might have been the carb's clearing out. I got into open water and hit the throttle like alway's. I got on plane and ran for about 30 second's and then it slowed way down like I was going through mud. Then the engine slowed down and quit. That was all she wrote. The was a strange burning smell. Don't know if I would call it electrical or not,,,but could be.

So where do I start to diagnose the problem. I guess the first thing is to see how much oil is left in the jug since I'm all ready second guessing myself on that part.

Any idea's. Thank's.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Think I may have blew my motor.....Now what.

Quick follow up.

I just checked the oil left in the jug. I'm ok there. I tried starting it again. It crank's real slow like the battery is dead, even with a charger hooked up. One strange thing I noticed, don't think it's normal. While cranking, the tach needle is all over the place. Then every so often it slams all the way into the red. I've never noticed it do this before, but that sure doesn't seem like it would be normal. Could I have fried something electrical. I did put a new stator on last year, but all has been fine since then. Where do I start. Thank's.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

check compression on cylinders, that should tell you if one or more is bad. compression testers are pretty cheap

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

compression check..then a spark test...if you dont have a compression tester or spark tester ,do yourself a favor and get them..they are invaluable for what your about to get into...i got mine autozone for $40 for both of them.....next is get a clymer manual from ebay...armed with these 3 things you can fix your motor with the help of roscoe and the other knowledgeble folks on this forum....good luck.

posting the year and model of your engine is very helpful.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

Another peice of the puzzle. When ever I don't use the boat for a while, the starter tends to freeze up. A gentle tap on the shaft and a twist with a wrench alway's loosens it up. I know I need to take it apart and clean it. It did this again today. The starter was staying engaged for a couple of second's until I worked it few time's. Then it seemed ok. Now I can't get it to turn over even with a 75 amp jump start. I will try a different battery tomorrow, but I'm wondering if the starter could have hung up and fried something. At first I thought the motor was locked up, but I can turn the flywheel by hand, so I guess it's the battery or starter.

I did buy the recomended tester's, but it won't turn over fast enough to do anything.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My guess is if the starter gear stayed in contact with the flywheel during WOT run it would be totally toasted and would not even start the motor ever again. Put your nose to the starter and see if you can smell burned carbon. If so you will need to take it apart and see what the damages are.

Is this motor oil injected? You mentioned the oil jug so I assume your motor is injected. Please post your model number and horse power.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

Well I've tore the house apart looking for my manual,,,,it's MIA. Guess I'll have to go buy another one.

The motor is a 89 Force 150. Sorry I don't know what model. Would that be on the tag hopefully. Maybe I can find it in some old threads of mine.

As far as the oil, it is NOT injected. I just meant I would see how much oil was left in the new gallon I bought.

Would the starter hanging up like that burn something up and make it quit running. Thank's.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

Tag read's:

MODEL 1508E9A

SERIAL# 017996

When I've bought part's before in the past, there was a lot of confusion on exactly what motor I had, so I've included the serial #.

So what model would this be considered.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Model 1508E9A

150 - 150 hp
8 - 20" shaft with power trim
E - ? Are you sure it is not an F, stands for Force. They decaled the motors differently for the different boats they were sold with. I don't see on for Quantum, so you it is probably an "f" for Force.
9 - 1989
A - mid year model version or production run.

As far as the problems, I would look at the starter and the starter solenoid.
Both may be fried, and could have drained off all the electrical power causing it to die.

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is an option on your starter..bring it to a local shop that rebuilds altenators and starters instead of buying new... i did that and got a one year warranty on it..cost me $85 to have it rebuilt but if i fry it tommorow i just bring it back and they rebuild it for free.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

Thank's for all the replies.

The engine code is defenatly an "E".

With the battery fully charged I can tell the starter is shot. With the first hit of the key the gear barly cranked the flywheel. Then it would not even engage. It just gave a little spin while staying down. So hopefully I may get lucky here.

Thank's to everyone. I'll let you guy's know what happens.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

Well it's not looking good.

After a fresh battery and a new starter, I did manage to get it started. It was very hard to start. And while trying, it would occasionally backfire through the exhaust really loud. It ran really ruff and wouldn't idle unless I gave it almost full throttle. It also sounded like a sewing machine hammering away.

Now for the bad new's. The compresion test read's as follow's.

#1 90
#2 80
#3 110
#4 105
#5 25

I must of bought a crappy spark tester because I couldn't see spark anywhere.

So what's the verdicte. Power head? Could it go deeper than that. Is this something a novice could tackle. Thank's for any input.

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

might as well pull off the head and check your head gasket and look at your cyls and pistons for scoring and broken rings and such.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ouch!! sounds like what happened to mine.
As far as being a novice at outboard rebuilding, that would be me, but with the cost of a new powerhead or having someone rebuild mine, I decided to do it myself. I just got my block back from the machine shop, and will have my pistons by next week. I must say it was much easier to take the powerhead apart than I thought it would be. If you do it, get a service manual Seloc/Clymers. I also took a digital picture of every part, angle, and almost after every bolt was removed so i can always go back to them to verify.

Doing this saved me over $1000.00 ! and the satisfaction of doing it myself.

You can also go to site below and ask for tech advice/ specs/ parts and whatever you may need. Marine doctor site and this one has helped me a lot.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl

ask around to find a machine shop that does outboards, and especially force blocks. I was told not to take it to a auto machine shop.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a note about cost:

bore and hone cylinders $75 per hole
pistons and wrist pin bearings 88$ ea
full gasket kit $80

one note on the force pistons, if you have the original pistons, the wrist pins were pressed in place. They were a @#%&* to get out. new ones come with clips to install the pin......much easier. I beat mine out with a socket, I would recommend taking them in to the machine shop and having them pressed out to save a lot of pain and suffering (when you miss the socket with the hammer and hit your hand) and also you don't want to break the connecting rods, I couldn't find anyplace to sell replacements of them.

good luck

Brian

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice

To remove piston pins I have used a vise to press them out.Two sockets, one the diameter of the pin the other larger to catch the pin. Beats the machine shop. Try www.promarineusa.com for parts they are very resonable!

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never thought of a vise, I tried a 20 ton bottle jack with sockets under my suburban......lifted the truck without budging the pin. Hopefully I won't ever do this again, but if I do I would definately try the vise trick.

got my parts from marine doctor and some from outboardparts.com.

Quick Cal

Seaman Apprentice

So what's a ball park price to rebuilt the entire engine.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was told by my marine repair shop that they would do it for $1500.00 I only had one bad cylinder as far as compression and mine is also a 125 4cyl. I did it myself for around $500. 00 you could also look at a remanufactured powerhead, here is one for your motor for about $2300.00

http://www.seilermarine.com/outboard-recycle/force/force_powerhead.htm

just do a search for rebuilt or remanufactured powerheads to get other sites, then call your local repair shop to get a price to rebuild yours, then do a lot of thinking on which way you want to go. I am having a lot of fun rebuilding it myself.

did you pull the head off yet to check for scoring in you cylinder sleeves? bad gasket?

Brian

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

another site here sells a rebuild kit that has most of what you need to do it yourself for $995.00

http://www.maxrules.com/fixphead.html#fc4

PISTONS/ RINGS/ WRISTPINS/ RETAINERS.
COMPLETE GASKET & SEAL KIT.
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS
CONNECTING ROD LARGE & SMALL END BEARINGS.
GASKET SEALING COMPOUNDS AND CRANKCASE SEALER.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FROM THE MASTERTECH

and they also sell remanufactured powerheads their price for yours loooks like about $2400.00
http://www.maxrules.com/fixforcepowerhead.html

here is one more for $2300.00 with $350.00 core return

http://www.crowleymarine.com/powerheads/force/150hp.cfm