Overfill engine oil

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I checked my engine oil last night and found that I must have overfilled it (2000 merc. 5.0 EFI). I got out my oil pump and pumped out around 1 to1 1/2 quarts to get it to the proper oil level on the stick. I didn't see any milky oil comming out, just fresh looking oil. I have had problems with my engine not hitting my proper WOT, around 600 - 700 RPMs shy(4100). Could the overfill cause the engine to drop that many RPM (crank slapping the oil) ? Since this is a new boat to me, I don't know if this has been an issue with the previous owner.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Overfill engine oil

Over filling can cause airiation of the oil which can result in engine noise and low oil pressure and possibly performance problems. Be sure the oil does not have fuel in it. Fuel system flooding can accumulate in the oil causing an overfill condition and performance problems also.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you check the oil level, be sure the engine is in it's running position, if on a trailer you may have to jack the front up until the boat sits as it does in the water. Filled mine by the book only to find I was a quart high. Put it in the water and all was well.:$

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Searay3,
I did jack the front of the trailer down a bit, as the boat should sit in the water when I checked it. It's hard to put the same amount in as the book says, because you may or may not get it all out when you pump it out. I have a quart in the boat, I will check it tomorrow while the boat is in the water. Thanks for all your help guys

DHPMARINE

Captain

My experience has been if you run the engine 10 - 15 minutes to warm it up,you can syphon out all but about 1 or 2 ounces of oil from the engine.It is designed this way. YES the engine should be level.

DHP