My motors making oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason176

Seaman Apprentice
Got a new boat/motor, motor is a 06 60hp merc bigfoot 4stroke. I changed the oil around 20 hours and thought the oil smelled a bit like gas but the level was fine. I just got done installing a fuel/water seperator so I figured I was smelling the gas on my hands. I filled it up with mercurys synthetic blend dead on the fill line and have used it for probably 5 hours since, I was getting ready to go out on a cruise and now my oil level is above the fill line and it has a gas smell to it. So I am thinking my plugs are fouled out, but the motor seems to be running smooth as ever. The boat is at a slip so I have to pull it out and my dealer is closed on mondays so I just figured I would post this on the forum to get peoples opinions.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: My motors making oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't touch it, Jason. If it's under warranty, I'd just take it back and let them deal with it.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

my opinion would be take it to the dealer and have them fix it. its under warrenty so any problems that you have, take it to the shop. It could void the warrenty if you even try to touch it. Thats one of the main reasons you buy a brand new engine is to take advantage of the warrenty whenever necessary. ;)

jason176

Seaman Apprentice

I know, I wasn't planning on tearing anything apart, just checking the plugs. My dealer is 4 hours from me and we have a very good repor so the little things I usually end up taking care of, simply because I like working on motors and because it would cost me more in gas to have it fixed under warranty if it is something small. I have a checkup on the boat coming due so I will probably just make an appointment. The thing that kind of sucks is that I only got 5 hours out of a expensive oil change.

emckelvy

Commander

If you were to continue running it with fuel contaminating the crankcase oil, it's sure to be very bad for the bearings.

Probably some issue with the EFI system if it's got that, or carb trouble. I wouldn't expect it's problems with the plugs, especially with a 4-stroke and since you say it idles smoothly.

Either way, time for a trip to the dlr and I'd insist on an oil change after the excess fuel problem is fixed.

G'luck...........ed

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check out the article on 4 strokes making oil in the Engine FAQs, Jason.

sheldoon

Cadet
Re: I CAN RELATE ......My motors making oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I CAN RELATE ......My motors making oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can relate my bro just got a new '06 Verado (last summer '05) & he lets me use it all the time..even so it does not have many hours on it i would guess 20 - 40 hours max its probably even less..any way approx a month ago the trim stopped working so we brought it in to be fixed and West Marine stated they fixed it...hydrolic fluid or a bubble or new cylinder not sure...anyway we got it back 2 weeks ago and i noticed it was dripping a little oil-ish, black-ish gas smelling fluid from a little hole (the dealer stated that it was residual.....from the overflow hole i guess..btw i have been reading alot of related topics in this forum)...so recently the beeps have been happening and this past weekend the "oil pressure low" came on and the beeps lasted longer.......... there is the occasional stall as well, this happens when it beeps... very rare...so i feel awful since my use of the boat makes me feel like its my fault my bro is cool about it but it still sucks to have to give the bad news to him...any thoughts anyone ? any comment would be greatly appreciated
Rich
P.S. good luck with the Bigfoot....

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Rich - A big welcome.

You need to start a new thread with this. We try to have only one issue per thread. You will get a lot better response this way and so will jason who started this one.

sheldoon

Cadet

Hi thanks..already done...is it ok "?
Rich

Solittle said:
Rich - A big welcome.

You need to start a new thread with this. We try to have only one issue per thread. You will get a lot better response this way and so will jason who started this one.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the 60 bigfoot.
is this an EFI motor? if so correct propping is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY.
even slightly overpropping EFI motors leads to "making" oil. as does excessive low speed use.
what is the normal WOT RPM?
also fill the oil to about half way between the add and full marks.
most any decent auto or marine shop can do a leakdown test if you suspect fuel blowby past the rings.
if the cooling system is operating as designed and the fuel system is operating as designed it usually brings me back to the boat operator and operating conditions.
occasionally certian speeds especially in the 3000-4000 RPM range tend to overload(overprop) the engines and lead to excessive fuel blowby.
kinda like trying to pull a max load trailer at 35MPH uphill in high gear in your manual shift truck.
that truck wont like that "low" speed high load application.
the truck operator can simply select a lower gear, the boat operator cannot.
we are finding more and more "making" oil problems to be operator induced but all the other causes MUST be eliminated before blaming the operator.
how much time does this motor spend below 1000 RPM? how much above 4000 RPM?

bassman284

Commander

Try checking it right after you take it out of the water.

I have a 2001 60 EFI 4 stroke and when I would check oil before going out it showed overfilled. The service manager said that when I tilted up and put it on the transom saver, it was possible to get an air bubble in one of the passages and make it appear overfilled. I started checking as soon as I came out of the water and it is always on the money.

Now if you check it this way and it's STILL over, you need to check out the other possibilities.

machicj

Seaman Apprentice

i have a new 115 4 stroke merc and the same thing happen to me. i was told to take it easy (under 3500rpm) for the first 5 hrs. after five hrs. of running, it showed about 3/4" over full on the dip stick. i was very concern so i called Mercury. They told me to, and i quote,"run it like you stole it". it takes high rpm to seat the rings. i drained out about 1 pint and ran it fairly hard. changed oil at 25 hrs. i now have about 35 hrs. on the motor and so far, its not "makin" any more oil.