SHT While driving !!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Oh well, I've only been in the new job a few months but in that time I've seen stupidity that I didn't believed happened except on TV in shows like "World's Craziest Drivers" :^

A few (and just a few) examples:

The other night in torrential rain and in pitch darkness we were overtaken at high speed by a car with no lights on. We caught up with the vehicle, flashing headlights/roof bar lights etc made no impact on the driver and we ended up pulling up alongside. With my window down I indicated to the female driver that she had no lights on: her response was "I know!"
We pulled her over and were shocked to discover that she had two young babies in the car and that the reason for no lights was that she didn't know where the switch was: she'd only ever driven in daylight and was driving fast to get home :'(

Pulling out of a service area on the motorway (after the compulsory coffee and donuts) we were shocked to see a car reversing up the inside lane about a mile from our position: the driver had missed the services and decided to reverse against heavy traffic, figuring if he drove fast enough people would get out of the way :^

The two young ladies who decided to swap drivers by setting the cruise control and climbing over each other!

The tyre fitter who was called to a truck tyre blow-out and missed the junction so did a u-turn on the motorway and drove the wrong way up a slip road and back down the other side.

The young lad that panicked when he ran out of fuel and ran off to a service station, leaving his car unlocked, keys in the ignition, sat-nav plugged in, mobile phone in the holder, tools in the back, oh and his wallet lying on the passenger seat :}

Loads of folks refuelling with petrol into a diesel or vice versa (especially a brand new car: best one so far was an 06 Merc-Benz!)

The woman who had a puncture in lane two of a two lane road. rather than run to the shoulder or stay on the central reservation she jumped the central reservation and ran screaming across the two lanes on the other side. When asked why she replied: "because there are cows in that field and they scare me!"

The Nissan 350z that did 140mph (double the speed limit) into the central reservation and destroyed 24 lengths of Armco barrier with the nose. Why did the driver buy a 350z? Because he bought it with the compensation from his previous crash................in a Porsche and wanted a slower car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trucker with both (bare) feet on the dashboard and watching a DVD at night, whilst overtaking us in thick fog at 70mph (limit 40mph for a wagon that size on that road)............hmmm guess who doesn't have a licence anymore?

The guy with the brand new Audi who thought the cruise control also did the braking for him..................until he hit the back of a trucker d:)

Just a short (!) selection of those "who walk amongst us!"

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: SHT While driving !!

[colour=blue]Keep a detailed journal, Stan. There is a book in your future.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Now there's an idea, a book! Considering that the above have been in the last couple of weeks and there's loads more examples I could have it written in the first year 8)

I'll maybe cut you in on the profits!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Here is one for your Stan.
My oldest son, Rhys, went to the UK for a year way back.
Took a rental car from London up to Scotland.
On return trip on M1, he felt really sleepy, so pulled over to the side (guess you would have called it shoulder) and took a nap.
He tells me after 30min kip there was a woman cop tapping on the window. They suggested he take the next 'off" being A something and park up for a sleep. He didn't know what "A" stood for........they showed him the way.
He didn't get a ticket, said they were very nice and helpful, and although he has been a bit of a wild bxggar, he reckons Cops are OK, and his attitude goes back to that day...
Cheers
Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

None of that stuff happens here in Texas.

'Cept when Muttley is on a tear. 8)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow, and I thought the idiots were all here on the bypass and the beach road.
glad there are enough to go around :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

You know what I love? Central Reservation. For those of you that haven't figured it out, he means the median, or area between the two directions of a freeway . . . How about the one on the M62 Stan, where the old guy has kept his little farmhouse? Is that where the girl freaked out about the cows?

"Central Reservation" sounds more like the place where we process Native Americans before assignment . . . :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Those are funny Stan. I also agree with Aldo and would suggest adding a video camra to your arsenal.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Please tell me you are kidding.

Stupidity should be punishable by jail time as it is no longer fatal.

Are some people so blind that they cant see they are passing a police officer, or is your car in stealth mode?

Ken

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

If stupidity was painful there would be a lot of people hurting!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

heycods said:
You got`em too ???
Yes, i too, thought this was strickly an American phenomenomenon.

------------------------------------------------
From SW Florida, A proud member of iboats since
March 25, 2001

The old me

12footer said:

heycods said:
You got`em too ???
Yes, i too, thought this was strickly an American phenomenomenon.

------------------------------------------------
From SW Florida, A proud member of iboats since
March 25, 2001

The old me

Will the real 12footer, please standup and the new guy sit down and stay there! ;) := := := :=

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the responses guys. Our vehicles are 4x4 Nissans, Toyota's and Landrover Discoverys and done up in what is called "Battenburg"; hi-visibility yellow chequered pattern with LED lights all over it: ya can't miss it unless blind or stoopid..........................!

Totally forgot the Americans call it the median, must remember that one!

QC, I know the farm you are talking about: I need to get a picture of that for the guys on here: I doubt most people would believe it: a farm in the middle of a freeway :^:^ It's totally true though: the road was built so that the farm could stay as it's a listed building (IIRC) and looks so weird as you whizz past at 70mph.

Phillip: most of the time we are kind and courteous and generous, we just get a bit miffed when people really start taking the mickey. The shoulder is the most dangerous place on the motorway (freeway) and statisically you are 500% more likely to be killed or injured there than on any other part of our highways. The average survival time on a shoulder in the UK is eleven minutes :^ That's why we take parking there for a sleep or a phone call so seriously, we're not being killjoys, honest!

We had an example recently during heavy rain when we instructed the occupants of a broken down car to get out and stand on the verge: ten minutes later their car was wiped out by a trucker: if they'd been in the vehicle they'd have been killed without a doubt.

Pedestrians are another bane of our life: banned from the motorways they tend to be drunk and usually don't have a clue they are even on the motorway; they only know that the "taxi's" they are trying to stop seem to be moving quickly and never stop for them....................and then they mistake our vehicles for a taxi. We do give them a lift but there is a charge, it's not the kind of charge they expect (and a short stay in the cells too!). Even been offered a tip for my good driving standards too by one pleasantly drunk young gentleman 8)

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]Stan, you have a PM.

Errrr, can't find it Aldo. There is nothing showing up in my inbox. I'll have a wee play with the system and see if it's something I've not turned on/off at this end and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks though

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Aldo, email sent, hopefully you'll get it: if you do you can edit your email address off the boards for security!

Ya never know who is prowling this internet web thing these days 8)

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Got it, reply should be just about knocking on your door.

I think I'll give this PM thing a miss until the bugs are ironed out.