OMC 2.3 COBRA - SHEARED PIN ON DISTRIBUTOR

PUFFY

Cadet
Have a 1988 17.5 Bayliner with a Mallory distributor - a couple of weeks ago had the boat on the lake and it just died - found the problem to be a sheared pin on the dist shaft -replaced it - took the boat out -ran fine for the 6 hours we were out - took it out again this weekend and after about 20 min and died - there is no spark to the coil - another sheared pin - any ideas on what is causing it to shear the pin on the distributor shaft?? the boat sat for about 3 years before I bought it - have replaced the coil - the large amp buses - the ignitiion switch - it has a new Rochester carb - dwell is at 36 degrees - point gap is .46mm and plug gap is .9mm - checked timing with light and it is right on. Someone told me that the oil could be the cause - don't think the previous owner had changed it since 2002 any ideas/suggestions

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC 2.3 COBRA - SHEARED PIN ON DISTRIBUTOR

Bayliners don't have Mallory distributors. OMC, Volvo, or Mercruiser engines do. Which do you have and what is the model number and year?

PUFFY

Cadet

Don said:
Bayliners don't have Mallory distributors. OMC, Volvo, or Mercruiser engines do. Which do you have and what is the model number and year?

PUFFY

Cadet

it is an OMC Cobra (Ford 2.3 L engine)

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

The dist housing bushings
are my best guess. I have learned to
snug the dist hold down. I have had
the shaft stick in the bearing, I would rather
retime, than replace pins.