worried and wonder what you guys do..

auty

Cadet
I want to take my boat to a commonly used spot and swim from it.. I am worried however that the boat will drift away from me.. Always thinking the anchor will come loose.. any comments.. I am about to tie 50 pound test to me ankle before jumping off the boat

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: worried and wonder what you guys do..

Are you swimming in a lake,river,or ocean? How big of boat?
I always tie my towable tube to the boat with about 30 feet of rope..gives me something to hang on to.
Plus a good anchor with 5 feet of chain attached to it and let out plenty of rope. my boat never moves..

QC

Supreme Mariner

Swim in front . . . If there is a strong current you can grab the swimstep. If she drags anchor, you can grab the anchor line.

Bondo

Staff member

You have Good Reason to be Concerned,.............

Option A would be to go with Somebody,+ swim 1 at a time......

Option B would be to Know How to Anchor properly.......

Option C is to Wear a PFD............

Option D is to Only atempt to do this in No Wind,+ No Current Conditions...........

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Learn how to anchor the boat properly.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

When I was a kid and we used to sail in Lake Ontario, when we were beyond anchoring depth (read as in the middle of nowhere and hours from drifting into shallow water) we always threw out lines attached to throwables. Come to think of it, we even did it when we anchored. I do the same thing down here, except I am always anchored. Don't know how your current runs, but down here I use 1 size higher than recommended Danforth, 6' of SS Chain, SS swivel, and 150' line. I'm usually scoped out 6 or 7:1. It's overkill, but I've watched several people flag rides to go and catch their boats. I also carry a stern anchor on 50' line for tight spots like beaches on busy days. The biggest mistake people make when anchoring is scope. The second is not setting the anchor properly, i.e. hard enough.

KRS

Banned

50' line to towable, and let it drift.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

fishingdan said:
Learn how to anchor the boat properly.

So basic it almost hurt's apparently you do not have enough anchor or line or both. Id suggest you go to your local marina and find out what type of anchor is used for the bottom type in your area. From there buy enough anchor line to reach the bottom and then give yourself another 20 feet. Go and practice anchoring until you giet the feel of it, it does require experimentation by anyone who hasn't done it before. When you get on top of that, go have some fun.......8)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I would never go out alone on the boat to go swim alone, for me that is just to scary .... you never know what is waiting under the water for you ...

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Good advice above on scope and chain. When you feel like the anchor is set properly, back down in reverse at idle to make sure the anchor won't pull out. Don't know what kind of bottom you have, but this works in the sand down here. You are right to be concerned. Boats will go off and leave you-- NOT a good feeling.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Like so many others said:

- Anchor properly.

- Don't go out swimming alone.

- Leave the swim ladder hanging over the side, and TIED ON!

- Don't swim in unknown waters.

- Don't tie yourself on. This is formula for disaster....Snagged, caught by another boat, loss of circulation, etc.

- Always listen for the scarey music you hear them play in the cheap horror/slasher movies. Its a sure sign something is going to go wrong... half rotten hands come up from lake to drag you down, or shark gets you, or hair gets caught in spinning prop, or someone burries a machete in your skull.... you know the routine.... d:)

studlymandingo

Commander

Yea, I hate the half rotten hands! And those pesky machetes!!!:^

Jack Shellac... How is everything in Fairhope? I have some good friends there!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Reminds of the time (a loooong time ago) that we rented a boat to go out into the mouth of Tampa Bay (Egmont Key) and do a little snorkleling. Anchored up, jumped in, everything fine! The tide was incoming and was pushing us in to TB... away from out boat. Fortunately, we were all in PFD's, I was able with great difficulty to swim to the boat, catch my breath, and go get my wife and daughter. Scary!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Studly....AOK in Fairhope except that it's getting crowded. Too many people want to live here. St. Pete is a nice town, too.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:devil: Nice that's definatley on the agenda...........8)

Always listen for the scarey music you hear them play in the cheap horror/slasher movies. Its a sure sign something is going to go wrong... half rotten hands come up from lake to drag you down, or shark gets you, or hair gets caught in spinning prop, or someone burries a machete in your skull.... you know the routine.... ">

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

The swiming from the boat rhyme.....

Anchor bow and stern, leave plenty of line, if the current's not too bad......you'll be fine.