PARTS!!!???

grapplindad174

Recruit
Why can I not find parts for my 79 Evinrude 35hp? Sierra seems to be the only dealer, and I cannot find my part. I pop out of gear under high engine load, but can take off the shift cable, hold her in gear, and she gets.
I assume I need a clutch dog, or perhaps a new teleflex. The teleflex is easy, & relatively cheap. The clutch dog is another story. WHERE CAN I BUY ONE? :| I havent really called around, just been looking online, so maybe it is my fault. Also, could anyone tell me if any newer clutch dogs are the same, or did they change to a non-interchangeable part in 80? BRP gives me a OMC #315565 for the dog. Has anyone replaced this dog with another OMC #? Really appreciate your help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: PARTS!!!???

If you can hold it in gear, I'd replace the cable or at least adjust it before digging into the lower unit...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree with rick adjust or replace cable.

grapplindad174

Recruit

Thanks, guys. I got the teleflex coming, will let you know how it turns out. Appreciate the advice.

grapplindad174

Recruit

Got cable, works like a charm. Prolly have to change the chutch dog next summer, but we were steamin up river full speed ahead last night, so I am happy. thanks folks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear it...Beats tearing down the lower unit...

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Does the cabel hold it in gear or just insert it into gear. I am ass deep into my lower unit on a 77 115hp and never though the cable would be the problem. I though the cabel just put it into gear and load held it togeather. Man I will feel like an ass if I get this thing apart and find the gears are fine.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Dsinger..... The cable simply puts the unit into gear. If one has to hold the lever to keep it from jumping out of gear, there is wear on the shifter dog lobes and the forward gear lobes.

Easy way to tell if lower unit problem exsist is to disconnect the shift cable, then shift the unit into gear by hand at the engine's shift linkage. If the unit jumps out of gear, lower unit problems exist.

I strongly suspect that since "Grappindad" had to hold the engine's gearshift lever in gear after he removed the shift cable, less it would jump out of gear, he will also find that wear exists on the above mentioned lobes when he finally looks into that lower unit.