gelcoat

uncleglenny

Cadet
ok im new to boating so excuse this stupid question but i read alot of things about gelcoat ...so what is it ? is it like clear coat on a car?...dont laugh

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: gelcoat

It's the colored coating you see on anything made of fiberglass, it's sort of like paint, only it's used in the mold when the part is being made.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Gel coat is a polyester resin. And there is are no stupid questions in my mind. We all have to learn.8)

uncleglenny

Cadet

so if u can see the fibers on the hull of a boat does that mean the gelcoat has do be redone or can u do a spot repair ?

shanklejo

Cadet

Google "How to: Boat Tech Guides"
You can find the answer to your question there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean the gel coat is worn off and you can see the resin and glass fibers? If it's a small area then it only needs a spot repair, if half the gel coat is worn off the hull, then it's best to repaint it, painting it is much easier than re-gel coating. If you mean you can see the fiber print in the surface of the gel coat, but the color is still there, it's a different type of repair.

uncleglenny

Cadet

i dont have a boat yet but im asking questions that will make me more educated wnen i "go looking" for a boat thanks for the answers

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's nice to know a little about gel coat before you go look at a boat, sometimes people think think there are major problems with a boat and it's only easily fixed cosmetic issues.

dk6164

Seaman

"If you mean you can see the fiber print in the surface of the gel coat, but the color is still there, it's a different type of repair."

ondarvr-Could you elaborate a little on this? I have this problem on 1 side of my boat

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

dk

Depending on what type of resin was used to make the boat, catalyst level, temperature in the shop, how soon it went outside, gel coat thickness, or a few other things, you can get some post cure. This means the resin and/or gel coat was not cured well enough before the boat was removed from the mold. When it's still curing out of the mold there is nothing to keep it from changing shape as it continues to cure and shrink, this leaves a fiber pattern in the gel coat. When everything goes right, you will have little or no fiber print from the mat or chop used as a skin coat against the gel coat, when it goes wrong you can see every fiber.

Roving is not used in the skin coat but it can still print through to the gel coat, this is more common on older boats.
The layer that the roving is in is normally thicker than the skin coat, so if it's hot out, it can generate a lot of heat when curing and will shrink more than normal, when this happens you can get a roving pattern in the gel coat.

If the print is only on one side of the boat, it can be from being taken out side shortly after being made and the sun was shining on that side of the boat, causing it to finish curing faster and shrinking more than the other side. This is very common on dark colors, they get much hotter in the sun than whites or other light colors and tend to deform more.

The fix, start sanding and hope the reason for the print isn't thin gel coat.

dk6164

Seaman

Thanks- that seems to be the issue with my '90 SunRay. It's only on the starboard side and it only shows in the Bright Red section of the hull. It's kinda wierd tho, there is a Black 1 Ft. section above that and you can't see it there? It only shows thru the red on the lower section.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since each color is sprayed on one at a time, each one needs to be done correctly, if the red is thinner, catalyzed at a lower level or sprayed on last and not cured as well as the other colors, you may get some print. Also some pigments can inhibit the cure of the gel coat, so even if everything is done correctly, it's more likely to have print through.
Blacks tend to cure well, but do get much hotter in the sun, so if the resin has a low heat distortion temperature (most are lower than 200*) it can change shape.
On your's it's only the red, so the resin is most likely not the issue, If you want to fix it, try sanding and buffing a small area and see how it turns out.

This happens frequently on boats in production, they just sand and buff before it's shipped.

dk6164

Seaman

I tried the wet sanding and it worked well on the rest of the boat. Just the red on the starboard lower shows through. I hate the black anyway and have been thinking about a paint-job. It's either that or just live with it I guess!:/

Thanks for the help.