Starcraft Pontoon

CoachSteve

Cadet
Looking to buy a pontoon boat. Looked at the Starcraft Classic 200 4Pt. Seems like a really nice boat.
I'm new to boating and wondering what the forum thinks.
Thanks

jake069

Seaman
Re: Starcraft Pontoon

my parents have a 02 playbouy and love it, Iyts a nice boat, Never looked at the starcrafts

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

New or Used? Starcraft is not the best out there nor is it the worst. If used, check it out top to bottom, bow to stern. Check for soft spots in the flooring. Oh yeah, I HATE i/o pontoons. TOO HARD TO WORK ON THE ENGINE!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We have a 96 18 ft.Starcraft.While I like the performance
handling etc.I'm not impressed with the design.front running lights constantly get broken,deck corner covers torn loose by the dock And I've been boating over 50 years so know how to handle a boat. Bow gate sags and has no support to help stop it when closed.Key switch spins when turned.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coach, do yourself a favor and check out Crest. Coupled with Honda, hard combo to beat. (What I sell)

CoachSteve

Cadet

It's a new 20 ft with a 50 hp yamaha o/b.
Maybe I am choosing it or all the wrong reasons. Dealer is located just ten miniutes for home which also is where the marina is and I get a free boat slip there. So I'm saving $2000.00 by not buying a trailer. If want to take it to another lake the marina will let me borrow one free of charge. Is this a normal perk?
I am only five miles from Dallas, so Im pretty sure that there is most all brands around..
Thanks for your responses, this site awsome for newbies like me.
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/showroom/boat.php?boat=381

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Is the OB 2-stroke or 4-stroke? 4-stroke is priced higher, but really a nice unit. If slip space on the lake you like happens to be tight then you may be limited to whatever brands those particular marinas offer. Of course if you want to try 3 or 4 different lakes then a trailer setup is a natural. And marina limitations evaporate.

That link was to a "4 corner" fishing model. Personally I prefer just 2 fishing chairs. For the same size 'toon this leaves room for bigger lounge seats or a changing room option. Keep in mind that the fishing chairs are only for when the 'toon is stationary or just puttering along. At any higher speeds they are too unstable to sit in.

'Toon companies typically offer models at 3 or 4 different price levels. For example, that "Classic" has an 8' beam on 23" tubes. Bump up to the more expensive "Elite" and you get an 8'6" beam and 25" tubes. This makes exact comparisons of different brands difficult, as you have to take care that the models are at the same level.

Everbody has different favorites. The 'toon brands that get my attention are AquaPatio, Bennington, G3, JC, Manitou, Premier, Sundancer, and Voyager.

Get some demo rides if you can arrange that without committing to a deal.

Kelly