Musky Education...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Musky Education...

They've gone over my $15 limit, guys. I'm out.

gaugeguy

Captain

Not trying to derail this thread, but when you guys go out gator hunting, do you get skunked more often than not? What is a great day of Musky fishing (other than just being on the water)? I get out on the St. Lawrence maybe 2 times a year (Massena NY) and have landed some nice Northerns, but never a musky. Only seen one ever caught. :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on where you are, Guageguy.<br /><br />On many lakes a great day is a few follows.<br /><br />On others, any musky over 25" is a great day.<br /><br />On premier musky waters several muskys, at least one over 40" are required to call it a great day of catching muskys.<br /><br />But at the bottom line, for me anyway, just spending a day on waters like LOTW makes it a great day. If I don't find any muskys I catch a few walleyes, snakes and smallies and revel in the environment. A shore lunch of fresh-caught walleye, watching eagles fish, maybe some deer or a bear crossing a cove all combine to make a really great day.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if you catch a single 50+ incher in your entire<br />lifetime, you are lucky.<br />the fact they are so elusive really adds to the<br />allure...

gonfishn

Commander

Well lets put it this..I caught six gators last year(poor year) and figure I had well over 100 hours invested.<br /><br />Many get discouraged. Your not going to get one every time you go out and the expense involved on the rig and lure side can get into some high dollars. You just don't go out and catch one. Asked those here that hunt for the warrior. <br /><br />I am constantly readn every thing I can get my hands on. I joined a musky club here and the information that the older guys give out is a valuable resource if your serious about the hunt.<br /><br />The top musky guide in Ohio(Danny Wade) boated 65 Musky last year most of which were caught out of Salt Fork. Name sound familiar MellowYellow and BubbaKat..<br /><br />Btw Jb..twas I that bought the lures..Going to take em down to Tenn. next week and give Bubba a<br /> couple to try for the hunt..Five lures at about $5.50 a piece(including shipping) is not a bad deal..

gaugeguy

Captain

Do you look for particular structure, depth, weeds when trying to locate them or is it just cover as much water as possible making thousands of casts in a day?

gonfishn

Commander

I am getting ready to do some spring gator huntn next week..Be it Bass or Musky they all head to the warmest part of any lake (north) coves with drop points are where the bait fish go and so will the predators. This year I am going to follow Wades advise..Stay in 4 to 7 foot of water and troll smaller lures to fit size of bait fish.<br />Look where the weed lines are starting. In forty to fifty degree waters set troll at 2 to 2.5 MPh.(no more). Cold water means slower moving fins..<br /><br />Once water gets to 55 or more move to deeper waters. If you see bait schools troll or cast around and not in. Not sure on the bass but the gator tends to be an ambusher and hangs out and around the school..What I share here comes right from the book and them. Anyone who caught 65 Muskies last year knows what he is talkn about.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I watched "MalMart Great Outdoors"?? show last week. They fished musky for the whole show, and never saw one. Heck, they never even showed a picture of a musky. They fished brush piles and downed trees in the Green River Lake in KY, it has no weeds.<br /><br />I did learn one thing from the show. The "clear" musky subspecies was native to that area, so that is the strain that they are allowed to plant in the lakes down there.<br /><br />Up here in the north, where we have weeds and reeds, they can be found in or near them, on windswept points, or hangin out near lumber. They do like cover, and have found a few hangin around TALL rock pyramids in deep water. Later in the year, the can move out and suspend in deep water.<br /><br />Heck, there the king of the lake, they can be anywhere.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

All this musky talk makes me want to buy another boat. 7 years ago I had a big lake trolling boat and had planned on taking it to lake st. clair, (about a three hour drive away) musky fishing. while planning the trip it acurred to me that since I saw musky trollers put a lure in the prop wash, why not put a plastic prop on my planer boards and run a lure tight to the boards. Sold the boat before I had the opp. to try it. I had dreams of musky doubles, sore arms and destroyed lures.

gaugeguy

Captain

OK last question guys...If you only catch a dozen or so a year, what is the allure? Does a 48" musky fight harder than a 48" northern? Do you know you have a musky on by the way it fights or the way it hit the lure? I see that all you guys that chase them are really into it, what drives you to go out and chase a gator?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

salt fork.... :D <br />surprised there's not a pool yet? LOL<br />MY $ is on Flathead if he shows up... sorry GF,<br />u gotta be captain and won't be able to concentrate<br />with mutt and jeff in the boat in front of ya :p

gonfishn

Commander

The Northerns give up the ghost to quick..When A gator hits its already mad..It may make a couple of runs bfore she will come in..No comparision when your talkn fighten modes. To tell you the truth I would take a 48" Northern anyday...I am sure salt water fins have a good fight to em..but fresh water musky is a rush to watch and catch..

gonfishn

Commander

Bigfun..Have a musky trip planned for St Clair in April..Roseville is where we are headn..now if you want some musky action thats where its at..

bubbakat

Captain

Never caught a musky in my life but have read a ton of material on them. Been to every musky site that exists on the net and looked and listen. From what I can gather they will fight harder then a women will when you tell her she can't go somewhere. I do know when you do the figure eight you had better have the line where it can let loose because if you get a hit it will tear your pole or reel up. I am gearing up muskie (Ants-ie)<br /><br /> :D :D

FLATHEAD

Commander

Thanks for the vote of confidence MY. :D Those boys in the front of the boat are gonna have to keep GF real busy if'n I am gonna have any chance at all of out fishin him on those gators :cool: If I do go I hope to learn some about the gator from these guys that know whats goin on. I plan on beatin up the water around here with a muskie rig a bit this spring to see if I can gain some knowledge. <br />Salt Fork is still up in the air for me. I have a trip to Black lake the first week in June and not sure if I can swing both so close together, But I am going to try to work it out.<br /><br />Gonfishn and Bubba I hope you guys slay em next week. Good luck and have some fun.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Two lively 8-9" crappies, one lively 9-10" yellow perch. Please rig them with large circle hooks, such as the red Daiichi ones, so you can catch and release without fear of gut-hooking a musk. Slowly troll them just off the dropoff under a Thill Big Game center-slider float. Okay purists, flame away!! :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

after you hook the perch up, cut tail fin down<br />the middle so he swims retarded...<br />may be illeagal some places (if u get caught) :p <br />use at your own risk!

gonfishn

Commander

Ok I will take the lure here..In many states this is a no no according to the DNR..Michigan must look at it in a different way..Both in selection of bait and double joints..<br /><br />Don't try that in Minn. or you may lose your boat if caught..If law would permit I would throw a Perch or a nice 10" walleye at em..Alas though I must spend ten to thirty bucks for look alikes..<br /><br />Have you fished St. Clair before?

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

did you guys see the 16 year old girl on outdoor network shes from the twin cites and is looking for her 130th musky or 131 at the end of the show she boated a 50 plus not sure what # that was i'll be a happy man to chatch 10 a year i belive thay said she was the top musky person in the country

gonfishn

Commander

I am sure MellowYellow will have a comment here. If had caught as many warriors as I have spent on lures I would be on TV to.. :D