Buying a Key West...

smithrc

Cadet
Thinking of buying a 19CC Key west 1995. Really clean. No visual defects. Any input on Key West helpful.

D

DJ

Re: Buying a Key West...

Same manufacturer as Palm Beach. They're made in Douglas, GA.<br /><br />They are average quality. If this a deep V, the ride should be good. Stay away from their "Bay" boats.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2001, 2220CC. Nice boats, Average quality at a good price. JD Powers had a nice write up on them some time ago.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

one of the guys I work with has a 19cc and he swears by it but don't think he does much more than a couple of miles off shore.

paintermn

Seaman

You will find that the Key West is a bit light and 'whippy" ( Don't know a better word) Overall good quality, but you can do better. Look at Cape Horn and Boston Whaler too.

tompass

Seaman Apprentice

Key West boats are made in SC. The owners of Key West and Scout are related. Not sure that it is true that they also made Palm Beach boats. From most reports, it is a mid tier boat.

tompass

Seaman Apprentice

Some of you may be thinking of Key Largo boats. My 23 WA hull weighs in at 3100 pounds.

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We just purchased a 196 Bay Reef with a Yami 150 TXR and I must say that it is a real decent boat. Key Largo and Palm Beach are totally different boats than Key West. <br /><br />Key West also did pretty well in the JD Powers and Associates rankings. Made a higher score than did the Scout.

fordguynj63

Cadet

Originally posted by smithrc:<br /> Thinking of buying a 19CC Key west 1995. Really clean. No visual defects. Any input on Key West helpful.

fordguynj63

Cadet

KEY WEST ARE NOT WHAT THEY SAY THAY ARE GO TO MY KEYWESTBOAT.COM AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE.SEE HOW THEY DONT REPAIR THEIR BOAT RIGHT. AND THAT THEIR WARRENTY WORK STINKS. THEY DONT BACK THEIR BOATS LIKE THEY SAY THEY DO.

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2003 1900 CC that I have been happy with, the only improvement that I made to the boat that improved the handling was to add suicide knob (steering wheel knob) to the steering.<br />I love the boat.

chevy_raptor

Recruit

I have a 216 bay reef and love it it has one of the best rides of any bay boat iv ridden in. it has 22 degree deadrise so its pretty smooth in rough water. as far as light and whippy goes it is acually one of the heaviest boats in its class at 2200 pounds

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Key West serves me well for any tidal river use and limited Chesapeake bay use. However,I don't take it in the Delaware bay.

1900 CC Specifications:

STANDARD

Length:19'2"
Beam:7'9"
Transom:20"
Approx. Weight:1600 Lbs.
Fuel Capacity:60 Gals.
Maximum HP:150 HP
Recommended HP:115-150 HP
Dead Rise:15°
Draft:10"

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 05 186 CC. I have not been anywhere that I cannot use it yet. Draws 12''. I use it in shallow bayous, and have been out about 13 miles from shore with it. Just make sure if you are going to put a trolling motor on it that it does not have bow rails. They can be a pain to deal with.

Key west boats are great. Don't listen to anyone bad mouthing them. Probably means they were very mean to the people on the phone about something that was probably their fault to begin with. I own a '99 Key West CC 19 footer. I regularly go out of Ponce inlet to do offshore bottom fishing. She is at home in 4 foot swells doing 20 to 25mph the whole way. With a very comfortable ride. The farthest, admittedly, i've been is 13 miles. Without 2 motors, any farther kinda worries me.
The boat is equally at home in the Mosquito Lagoon. this spring water levels were just right for the Bay / reef boat to get into some really skinny water. I love the boat. No other boats, beside bay / reef models, will let you do flats fishing in the morning and offshore in the afternoon. All of you with 26' offshore boats can't say that. AM redfish, PM grouper! It doesn't get better.
FYI...I went to "mykeywestboat.com" and it linked me to this very forum. No pictures of any horror stories. Buy Key West. There is a reason you see them everywhere...they are good boats for a great price. Want a GREAT boat at an unreasonable price? Go Grady or Whaler. I'm on a budget and its great for me. Besides, with a 60 gallon gas tank it really doesn't hurt to fill it up. My other friends with 23 and 25' offshore boats have 100 to 300 gallon gas tanks...ouch! We take my boat a lot more than theirs and its much lighter. I tow with an old Nissan pick up.

cuure

Cadet

Same here, Key West is an extremly well build boat for the money. I take my 186 with 150 4 stroke on a good day 30m off shore. :cool:

gene pline

Cadet

Key West boats are built in South Carolina,no relation to Key Largo's at all.No comparison.The 1900 is a tried and true hull that the company has tried to update but demand has kept it in production.I've seen them powered with old Johnson 88's all the way to Yamaha 150 VMax.They are very popular on the Gulf Coast.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Key West and Key Largo are not the same company. Key West is similar to Scout in quality and finish and uses no wood. Key Largo uses wood stringers and a speckle finish on the deck. Key Largo is probably a decent boat but for sure they are not the same.

chevy4895

Recruit

I have a 2000 2020 CC key west 150 yamaha and I have been out 30 miles from ponce inlet in 3 ft. seas no problem, solid boat