Express by Turning Point-right choice?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently use a 15x17 aluminum prop and am reasonably happy with how it performs. The 14.5x19 that I have makes for sluggish holeshots with a load on the boat and brings the rpms down 3-4 hundred. It is only good with just me on board and a whole lake to get going on. Top speed with both is close to the same but there is alot more responsiveness with the 15x17.<br />My question is if I want to try stainless steel and the kind I am looking at (express by turning point) comes in 14.25x15,17,19,21,or 23 which one should I get?

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Express by Turning Point-right choice?

you asked.and your going to some feedback maybe not what you want to hear.

walleyehed

Admiral

Hello, Heatz..<br />What is your max RPM with a normal load with the 15X17???? This will tell us about where you need to be with which prop.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey walleyehed, thanks for quick resonse. At full throttle max. rpm.s is 4500. with the 14.5x19 I max. out at 4100-4200 but it's slow to get there. The 15x17 is alot more responsive. When I accelerate with it on from say 4000 to w.o.t.(4500) it,s like dropping a gear to pass on the highway, she gets up and goes. sluggish with the 14.5x19 and holeshot with load is pathetic.

walleyehed

Admiral

If ya don't mind, would you give us engine Model and year, please....sounds like we are WAY too low on RPM, but we could have a tach issue...we'll look into that after we get details on the engine.<br />Just a guess, but is it a V6 JohnRude??

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my engine is a 1982 OMC230 (305) chev.V8<br />note: top speed and w.o.t. almost same i.e.at 4200rpm speed is 42m.p.h. at 4500 it is 45mph approx.

walleyehed

Admiral

OK, had me scared there for a minute...<br />I think max recommended is around 4800, maybe 4600, but 4800 won't hurt it.<br />I believe I would stay with a 17P in SS.<br />Let's check what the Mfg's recommended wot is and get back to me...if it happens to be 5000, we need to drop 2 inches...

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Walleyehed I'll find out. What is your take on TurningPoint Express props-any good-what sort of performance improvement can I expect. The guy I bought boat from a few years back said it would top out at about 50mph - I seem to run out of lake before I quite get there!

walleyehed

Admiral

First, the 391200 15X17 OMC prop is one good prop...something about that 1 in particular, is fast for a 17 with good RPM. It will run side-by-side with a std, run of the mill SS prop-no kidding.<br />looking back into some previous Data, the MWC Rapture and the Express turn about the same figures, and have about the same lifting charactor...the express in 17 was .7mph faster with just a tad bit more RPM..this could mean it has just a bit more bow-lift, and let it run with less wetted surface.<br />Now, if we throw a Turbo 1 in a 17 on there, I have 2.8mph faster with about the same RPM..why??? because the Turbo is a much more efficient prop.<br />Is there anything wrong with the express???...No, it'll work fine..is it the fastest??? probably not...but, the price is real good..it's not going to dissapoint you, it'll do the job it was built to do.....

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

again, thankyou for the info walleyehed. The question of diameter comes up yet again. Will the 3/4 of an inch in lost diameter, if I go with the Express, make any difference?

walleyehed

Admiral

when going from alum to SS, the diameter is usually taken into acount in the design of the blades, and the SS pulls a bit harder because it is more efficient. It shouldn't give you much problem unless it's a stern-heavy boat with low power, then we may need to look into some props with a larger Blade area.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what's your definition of stern-heavy?<br /><br />I regularly carry onboard: 2 batteries, 2 growing kids, one gorgeous wife, pfd.s for all, enough tackle to snag Moby, rods+reels for 10, waterskis, tube, 2 spare props, extra oils+fluids, spare parts, tools, safety equip., 3 anchors, paddles?, kicker motor+gas, me, fridge full, etc.!!<br /> It's a wonder she's still topside!

walleyehed

Admiral

If it has problems with hole-shot, and mid-range acceleration, we might need to look into some other designs, if it's aggressive as you say, I think we're ok.

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ended up getting a 15x17 stainless steel OMC prop off of Ebay. I also got another 14.5x19 aluminum that I'm thinking of drilling some holes into!!!<br />When spring comes and I get the boat in the water, I'll post back with results.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Butting in, <br /><br />You already admitted to running a tub (no offense), assuming your Chev is stern drive and not full inboard. Then with all the add on's (wifie and kiddo's plus tons of trinkets). <br /><br />The holes are a super idea, beins you already bought the prop and could mean that your 17 acts like a 15 in the hole and a 17 at WOT. Being in SS vs alum (with thin blades, no bending, and cupping) you should be pleasantly surprised.<br /><br />I ran 2 Merc hole props and it is unbelieveable what those buggers can do for you in getting your arc a roamin.....and for waterskiing...walla.<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark