south shore reefs and wreck fishing

21striper

Cadet
Lack of experience,I'm having trouble locating reefs and wrecks. Although I'm using an $150.00 fishfinder I believe it is working because, fishing the northshore in 100' I'll see the contours and depths.I'll punch in th cordinances in my GPS for the ocean,pan the area and only see the depths and thick dense bottom on my finder'seldom any structure sticking up to believe I'm over a wreck and going to have a successful fishing experience. Please help :confused:

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: south shore reefs and wreck fishing

Time to don some SCUBA gear and call Seb and or Joe.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of those wrecks, & reefs have been there a long time, & there is not so much lelt to them. Something large like the San Diego has been good for holding fish, & is still visable on a fish finder. You don't say how far you want to go off shore or which inlet you are using. There should be enough info. in the Fisherman for you to plan a trip, with a few alternitive sites near enough to have a shot at some fish. Local bait & tackle shops can help here too. Good Luck, Joe

Kurt Eckert

Cadet

Are you ready to go to the wreck off JFK Airport again ??????

21striper

Cadet

Joe,I fish out of the Jones inlet.I will plot a course to the San Diego if it's within reach.I'm only in a 21 footer carrying 65 gallons of fuel but enjoy bottom fishing and I am bored of drifting for fluke.Back to my sonar, when I recognize dense bottom,I realize that these local wrecks are buried beneath the sand, shall I assume I'm in the correct location according to my GPS.I've tried the Rum Runner, Cholera, Atlantic reef, etc. Would you suggest in investing in a better finder/sonar?

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

i fish the rockaway reef, and it seems as if they need to dump some more old bus train ect, on that reef everything look flat, not much high peice, als get a good bottom finder, and learn how to tune it and tweak it to get the best out of it. i use a furuno ls6100, last year this year i got the lowrance x107 color seems kinda nice, caunt wait to try it out next month.