Dump bed trailer

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Well it's that time of year again, when I want to tote mulch, topsoil, sand, gravel, etc. Every year I have this need and manage to do without or pay exorbitant prices for delivery of a very inexpensive commodity. <br /><br />I have thought about buying a small trailer. I was just wondering if anybody has experimented with building a dump-bed trailer built on the same principal as tilt boat trailers. It seems it would be a simple matter to make one of these and would make unloading very easy. Just step back when you release it.

ndemge

Commander
Re: Dump bed trailer

....if you are willing to put a few bucks into one, the electric over hydraulic dump is a GREAT thing... my bro's got one and we use the heck out of it.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,.....<br />Not this winter passing, But Last winter,.......<br />I decided I Needed a trailer for My 4wheeler.......<br />'Course,.... My Fishing Partner thinks that it Belongs behind the wheeler,... In Her Garden,+ Around the Yard........... :D <br /><br />
atvtrailerup.jpg
<br /><br />Oh, Ya..... The Tailgate also trips from the bottom like a dumptruck,<br />And, When the pins are pulled from the Top, <br />It Folds down,+ out to form a Ramp for the wheeler loading........<br />It would be a Much Too Squirrelly a ride to use the Hyd.s......<br /><br />
atvtrailerdown.jpg
<br /><br />I've been trying to figure out how to charge the battery from the Truck, by having the tail lights On when towing.........<br />I think if I run a wire to the battery from the running light wire, thru a Diode Maybe..???????<br /><br />Any Ideas ??<br /><br />
trlfrmbehin.jpg
<br /><br />This was heading home after a day of Welding on My docks, at Lake Bonaparte.......<br />Last Saturday.........

ndemge

Commander

Use a "RV" 7 pin trailer connector, you run the center wire as a charge circuit

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Well you can buy an old tilt boat trailer and put a box on it - thats what father in law did and it works ok.<br /><br />You just have to make sure the bed is not too big or it will not dump well.<br /><br />what I did is buy a strong tarp put that on the bed of the trailer then I get the mulched dumped on that and then just pull the tarp off to unload it<br /><br />The cheapest way to add a lift is a hydraulic jack to push up the bed.<br /><br />later!

Bondo

Staff member

nd3mge, <br /><br /> I thought of that,.... My truck is equipped with 7-pin round for the company trailers I haul all summer........<br />But, I've got 7 to 4 Adapters on My trailers.....<br />And,.. I'm hoping to be able to plug the trailer lights into the ATV, when It's towing it's own trailer.......<br /><br />That's the Idea behind such a Small trailer,......<br />Haul the ATV to the trailhead, Unload, Unhook from the truck,+ Hook to the ATV,+ Keep Going........<br /><br />Being able to Dump the trailer with a Merc. Trim/Tilt system was an After-thought.....<br />As Usual with Me, Take a Simple Idea,+ Engineer it into a Major Operation............................... ;)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

why not just hook a float charger up?<br /><br />You can either connect it to a converter inside the truck <br />or<br />make another case that contains float charger and converter - you just need a small converter, then run another wire back from alternator <br /><br /> make another connector plug that way you can easily connect and disconnect the system from your truck

Bondo

Staff member

Well,........<br />As it is, I just hook My battery charger to it when I feel the battery is starting to fall flat,..... really not a issue........<br /><br />I'm just thinking I'd like to make it as "Invisable" as possible.........<br /><br />That's the idea of using a Diode,......<br />The battery Could draw up to the 10amps the light circuit Could provide while the light circuit is Hot,........<br />And, When I unhook the whip,.. The diode Should Stop the battery from draining itself powering the lights...... Which are All LEDs, btw........<br /><br />If the diode thing Doesn't Work,...... I'll just continue to Charge it seperately........

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

reading this has just re-assured me that I am STILL an electrical idiot..<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Boatbouy- look at older aluminum snowmobile trailers and go from there..<br /><br />with a little elbow grease you could have what you want with a few slight modifications to the old unit.. ;)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Barlow,<br /> Appreciate the advice, but we don't have many snowmobiles in East Tennessee. I don't know anyone who has one and I'm not sure I've ever even seen one. With our weather, you would only be able to use one 12-14 hrs. per year.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Years ago, we turned an old chevy 1-ton pickup into a trailer, cut the bed off had a hitch welded up, and have been using it ever since.<br /><br />The axle is right in the middle, so its balanced. We like if for hauling building scraps to dumpsters, its its nice and high and you can stand in it and throw stuff into a dumpster, not like some trailers that are real low to the ground.<br /><br />When we want to dump stuff, unhook it from the truck and push the toung up in and let the bumper slam on the ground.<br /><br />The thing kicks *** on the highway, its dosn’t bounch around like some trailers, and tracks straght and true at 80mph. We have three other trailers, and none of them tow as good as this thing, you should be able to make one real cheap.<br /><br />While taking this picture of the boat engine, I captured it in (dump mode) ;) <br />check it out:<br />
DSCF0302.jpg