valvoline conventional or castrol gtx?

simple

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you were given these two choices of automotive oil to use in your vehicle, which would it be and why?

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: valvoline conventional or castrol gtx?

Valvoline. Better statistical sheets. Castrol isn't inferior, just not as good as Valvoline.

simple

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Gil009:<br /> Valvoline. Better statistical sheets. Castrol isn't inferior, just not as good as Valvoline.
While I agree with you, I've been told that going by statistical sheets is not the only way to choose an oil. I said what other way is there then?

ob

Admiral

Personal preference.Change often.Fact is...clean Wolfs Head Golden 30WT is better that dirty Mobil1 synthetic.Change filter with each service and stick to the engines recommended viscosity.<br /><br />I've used both Castrol and Valvoline and both work just fine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My Owner's Manual requires 100% synthetic oil and recommends Mobil 1.<br /><br />What does "dirty Mobil 1" mean? My engine monitors the condition of my oil and tells me when to change it. The period is usually 10,000-13,000 miles and always includes a new filter.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> What does "dirty Mobil 1" mean? .
I think you missed my drift.Not knocking Mobil1 oil which I also used as a staple in the 94 Corvette,just that the two brands in question are not measureably different.The comment I made was somewhat of a play on words.For instance: "A drop of oil in the right place is better that two drops along side." :) <br /><br />5000 mile used dirt laden Mobil1 is inferior to a comparable oil that is clean.My emphasis is more on frequent clean oil rather than which brand is best.<br /><br />The Corvette we owned had a oil change light/service engine, that was initiated by differential pressure across the filter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think I understood your meaning, ob.<br /><br />My point is that Mobil 1, or any synthetic, is not necessarily "dirty" at 5,000 miles or even 10,000 if it has a good filter, is run mainly at full operating temperature, and is in a computer managed engine that doesn't manufacture a lot of acids or carbon.<br /><br />I agree that oil that rarely gets up to temp, is poorly filtered and is in a carbed engine that makes a lot of pollutants that get into the oil probably needs changing a lot more often. . . sometimes as often as each 1,000 miles.<br /><br />Having your oil analyzed at 1,000, 3,000 and maybe 5,000 miles of your normal driving should tell you a safe and economical period for change.<br /><br />Most of the time in most modern vehicles that will be many miles farther than the sacred 3,000 many folks worship.

Stumpknocker

While I agree with you, I've been told that going by statistical sheets is not the only way to choose an oil. I said what other way is there then?<br />
If you have the sheets... you have empirical data from which to compare apples to apples. Most manufacturers give little or no useable data. Like pulling hens teeth to get it. <br /><br />The only other way to select an oil really is by word of mouth such as... Well I have used brand x for 32 years and if its good enough for me its good enough for you! This doesn't always work. Usually doesn't. Just because you have used it forever doesn't mean its remotely the best oil for your engine. <br /><br />Oil is and has been for a few years my passion to research and learn about. I rarely get involved in these endless debates and flame wars because I know what I know and don't have an axe to grind. <br /><br />There is much mis-information on this subject <br />mostly due to the fact that many manufacturers really don't give real info short of the advertisements that are meant to dazzle you with their products painted on the hoods of race cars.<br /><br /> The oil business is cut throat and there is out and out deception on the part of more than one major company out there. They rely on consumers being loyal to them for the oddest reasons. Once you become educated... you lose alot of the brand loyalty fever. They don't want that. So in answer to your question, do your homework and and you will find that the companies that give the most information have less to hide. A good oil stands on its own merits. A bad one stands on Madison Avenue Circus commercials.

jimr

I use Castrol GTX in my truck and the wifes car. in the past i used vavoline and toasted 3 motors in my old ranger. not saying the oil caused it the truck was a POS but thats what i was running at the time. I have not had any problems with castrol and my buddy I used to work with is an engine builder for John Force Racing now and he uses it.

Stumpknocker

I used Castrol GTX for years. I used to hang out with some guys that built racecars and engines. They had Castrol jackets. I used to grill them about the oil and why they chose it ect. ect. ect. Bottom line.... they really didn't know that much about oil at all. Its a good oil. The jackets were really cool too! But...

simple

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[/QUOTEMost manufacturers give little or no useable data. Like pulling hens teeth to get it.[/QB][/quote]<br /><br />You're not kidding. While brands like valvoline, mobil, and penzoil have their product data right on their website, castrol does not. I had to wait 4 weeks to get something in the mail from them with all the information that I was looking for. Info like pour/flash point, % of ash, etc....

dolluper

Captain

I use Valvoline in all water cooled engines and Castrol in air cooled engines it's worked great that way for years,so what I'm saying is i believe Castrol is better for more demanding requirements

McGR

IMHO... Keeping it clean is more important the brand. Given the price of vehicles today, the small price of changing oil every 3000 is a drop in the bucket by comparison. I don't care if people go 20K with synthetic, I'm changing mine every 3000... cheap insurance.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya cant change peoples minds about oil, "IF IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR GRANDPA, ITS OK FOR ME", seems to be the norm!<br /><br />You cant buy a really bad oil anymore, you just need to run what the manufacturer recommends as far as weights go basically. The newer oils are not good for the older hot rods though. They have removed too much of the additives to protect the flat tappet cams and lifters that have high valve spring rates. Use a racing or a diesel oil in them.

McGR

Lube Dude<br /><br />I don't care if I have Grandpa mentality. My point is that vehicles are so expensive and oil changes so inexpensive, it seems to make little sense trying to scrape up a few extra pennies by increasing the change interval. Maybe Grandpa knew a thing or two...

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

LubeDude is dead on....Don,t get snookered by commercials or testamonials.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both are excellent oils that meet or exceed your vehicle's specification.<br /><br />Only actual engine wear and performance tests done by certified laboratories that are familiar with accepted and practiced standards of testing would have what you're looking for. Southwest Research Institute is one who certifies API oils by actually testing them. They might help you, but their results are usually proprietary.<br /><br />Statistical sheets, oil samples, advertisements, and rhetorical comments here will never help you determine which oil is best for you.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Maybe we ought to send this into Mythbusters. <br /><br />Back when I did mechanic work on just VWs, I wouldn't warranty an engine with any oil but Castrol. <br /><br />I did my own personal test to set a standard. I took mason jars and put samples from oil changes in them. On the label I put number of miles, oil pressure/temp, weight, and name of oil. This way when someone would bring in a blown engine, I would compare the oil from it to my oil in the jar.<br /><br />My findings were that oils with the same weight had different results. Some would hold good steady oil pressure at all levels of temp. Then there were some that the pressure would decrease when the temp went up. Then a few that would hold a good pressure at high temp, but would leave parafene deposits on the inside of the crankcase.<br /><br />So that is why I use Castrol and their synthetic.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mayfloat, Unlike most opinions you did attempt to collect data to prove your point. However insufficient data is no better than no data at all. Oil analysis from an engine is often used to uncover mechanical issues with the engine not the oil. The oil samples that you collected from blown engines would be useful to determine what caused the mechanical failure (and contaminated the oil)<br /><br />p.s. Your failure to honor a warranty would not hold up in court

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Big Dee, On the samples I took, each one had a specific color. Some may have been similar, but each brand had its own color. <br /><br />When I did these samples, it was more to satisfy my curiosity on which oil performed good as well as bad.<br /><br />On the engines I rebuilt, I gave a 12 month warranty with free oil changes during that period. I would also adjust the valves. This would also show me how well the oil was keeping things clean. For the 4 years that I rebuilt VW's full time, I never had to replace an engine under warranty.<br /><br />I will say this, air cooled engines that had Valvoline & Wolfs Head run through them seemed to have the worst build up of parafene in them. They also showed excessive wear on the bearings, valve guides, and cam followers.<br /><br />Like Lubedude mentioned earlier, some oils are good in some engines while not being good for others.<br /><br />My best suggestion in not necessarily the quality of the oil, but the quality of the oil filter. Cheap oil filters like FRAM have killed many engines. Lubedude is right that most oils are good oils, but install a good filter if you want to prolong the life of your engine.