25 2cycle toyhatsu quit running

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was running down river wot and the little sucker just went on strike. 2001 model, pull start, cranked back up but would not run above idle speed. Had to idle ten miles back to the ramp. Have never had any trouble before, but I feel like I have a fuel issue. I broke a plug wire with the bonnet hook but it seemed to make no difference. Put some gas in before I left today, but it ran well for 15 miles and then just said "I ain't gonna do it anymore!" Where do I start?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 25 2cycle toyhatsu quit running

Check compression, spark and as odd as it may seem...the gear oil. If all of those are ok then it is a fuel system issue. Start at the fuel tank and work towards the engine looking for a leak. If there is no leak than its probably trash/varnish/water in the carb.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Elvin. As usual, it ended up being trash in the bowl. Some genius decided he needed gasket glue on the rubber bowl gasket and a piece got loose and stuck in the bowl pickup tube. While I was in there, I enlarged the hole in the restrictor plate to match the throat diameter. Any problems in doing that? Seemed like a logical thing to do!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I have absolutely no idea if that was a brillant move or the utmost in stupidity. I've never seen it done on one of these, so let me know if it had any kind of effect.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, she crunked and ran like new, or better than new (to me). Seemed to me that the idle improved and the power curve was smoother. Got a little more throaty sound at operating rpm too which to me sounds more horsey! Now whether it was the carb cleaning or the mod to the restrictor plate is still a guess but I think overall it's a big improvement.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Restrictor plates are sometimes used to reduce HP in, for example, a 28 or 30 to 25 so they don't need different parts for "different" models. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tohatsu did that.<br /><br />I suspect you defeated a HP limiting device, Toontime. Good show. :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The interesting thing is that the 25hp is a 30 hp out of the box. Tohatsu's next largest size engine is a different frame type engine. I'll ask one of the "little foreign guys" if they have a 35hp in Japan that they choose not to market here.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it took a while but I managed to test the Modification out. The motor is mounted on 16 ft monarch jon boat. Loaded for fishing- full tank, battery, troller, 20gal baittank, anchors, etc., she topped out at 30.8 mph on the gps. That's about 5mph better than before.