Force 9.9 turns over 3/4 way then stops...

silverwaters

Cadet
Hello, I am new to the forum. I searched for awhile looking for this problem already posted and no luck.<br /><br />I just bought a 9.9 Gamefisher/Force outboard on Ebay. I got it cheap because it has a lot of cosmetic damage...broken cowl, broken housing, etc. When I unpacked the motor today, I went to pull it over and the starter rope wouldn't come out. I thought there was a problem with the recoil, but its fine. I tried turning the motor over by turning the flywheel by hand. It moves about 3/4 of a turn then stops. It will go back 3/4 of a turn before stopping again. It turns enough for the pistons, rods and crank to move so it is not seized up. Putting a wrench on the flywheel nut and trying to get the engine to turn over more with force does nothing except loosen the flywheel nut.<br /><br />Any idea on what the problem could be? Thank you in advance for your help...Chris

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 9.9 turns over 3/4 way then stops...

Hello Chris and welcome to iboats. I would do first is remove the spark plugs try turning it. This should reduce compression. Next move would be to remove the lower unit and repeat the flywheel thing. It could be a magnet that came loose in the flywheel or the wrong spark plug that could be hitting the piston. Have you attempted to remove the rope starter? This could be also causing a problem. If it is not installed correctly it may be stopping the complete movement of the flywheel.

silverwaters

Cadet

Hello, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did remove the recoil starter...that moves free and clear once removed from the flywheel, so I eliminated it as a problem and the flywheel still only turns 3/4 turn. I did pull the plugs and still got the same problem, only 3/4 turn stop to stop. This motor has no hours on it with the original and correct plugs. I did not remove the lower unit, but I did pull the prop and turn the prop shaft by hand, again, getting the same problem with the motor only turning about one revolution. I hear no loose parts moving around. The carb wheezes right before the flywheel stops, either direction. Would this have anything to do with it? Also, would removing the lower unit eliminate the gear in the lower end as the potential source?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Also, would removing the lower unit eliminate the gear in the lower end as the potential source?<br /><br />yes.

silverwaters

Cadet

Can I remove the lower unit and re-use the seal, or do I need to replace it?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Newer models have a one piece gearcase with no seal between the lower unit and the leg.<br /><br />Older models have a 2 piece gearcase, also no seal between the lower unit and the leg. <br /><br />There is a gasket between the 2 halves of the lower unit, but you don't need to dis-assemble that unless there is a problem in the lower unit. $2 gasket, if neded.<br /><br />
28.png

silverwaters

Cadet

That diagram looks like it is straight off the Sears website! I will remove the lower unit as one piece and see if that makes a difference.