battery terminals hot after 15 seconds of trying to start

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
what would cause this? i tried cranking the key the first time and it was great but then it turned it off and tried again and it acts like it doesnt wanna turn the fly wheel.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: battery terminals hot after 15 seconds of trying to start

Clean all the contacts to the battery, starter and solinoid with a file or fine sand paper till they shine. Clean all the lugs as clean as you can get them and make sure all contacts are tight. I doubt this is the problem but it is a start. If it does not improve you are going to have to take the starter motor apart and clean the crap out of it. Look at both brushes and make sure they both have about the same wear. Clean out all the inside with compressed air then WD40 and Qtips until you get most of the gunk out. Tie the brushes in place with the springs with mono filiment line and put the starter back together. When the brushes are far enough inside cut the mono filiment and remove the fishing line. Do not use any kind of lubricant inside the starter. WD 40 is not a lubricant it is a good cleaner and will help displace any water in the starter. Hopefully the brushes are fine and the bearings are all good. It is a pretty easy job to do. It is a good rainy afternoon project.<br /><br />OH yeah before you take the starter apart feel the wires behind the connectors and verify they are not stiff and deteriorating.

peacekeeper6

already done, fixed this problem :) those carbs thoughm euro i know u have some help on the carbs

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I am at a loss. I have read your posts on the carb issues here and on marine engine.com outboards forum. For start up you are pushing the key in to choke it? Dumb question but I am one of the people that was not aware of this feature. Mixture adjustments should be about 1 full turn out from fully seated. Maybe check the reed valves behind the carbs and make sure they are opening and closing and are not warped or damaged. Also make sure the gasket between the motor and the carb is good. Also verify all fuel lines are tight and clamped. I still want to oomething is wrong with the carbs. Are you sure you put them back in the correct order. I believe they are jetted differently.

peacekeeper6

yup correct order, only two one has the T fitting so i know its the bottom. i cleaned everything. i need new gaskets that go on the block so maybe thats the problem. i do push the key in.

cjlallo

Seaman Apprentice

hey euro or maybe someone else what does it mean if when you adjust the mixture screw and its not doing anything at all on one of my 3 carbs (75hp cyl) what could be wrong? thanks. and what are these reed valves you mentioned?

cjlallo

Seaman Apprentice

???

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the main ground from the battery to the block isnt getting a good connection. Check ground wires big and small.