Bayliner 17.5' with Force 120HP??? Need opinions

ccroteau

Recruit
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1994 Bayliner Bowrider with a Force 120HP. The owner has maintained it in immaculate condition and it literally goes directly from the lake to the trailer, is washed and waxed and then stored inside the garage after every use. Boat and engine have low hours. I really do believe that it has been taken care of.<br />1)Cost is around $10000 USD, including trailer and equipment (life jackets, ropes, skis etc.) (Is that too much...it really is in immaculate condition, and assuming the mechanics test on the engine comes out good...)<br />2)I am new to boat ownership...this purchase would be for our new vacation property and the boat will be used 25 times max per summer season and will always be stored in the Garage (our property is not directly located on the lake)when not in use. What sort of maintenance tips do you have - given the situation...should I just rely on the local boat mechanics for service...What about oil changes (how often?) and type of gas? Spark plugs changed how often?<br />3) Is this engine strong enough for pulling kids and adults waterskiing, tubing etc.<br />4) Any other advice for a possible new owner...

ccroteau

Recruit
Re: Bayliner 17.5' with Force 120HP??? Need opinions

By the way...the Force is a 1994...and came with the boat when purchased...

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even though it is in excellent condition, I think it is way overpriced. You could buy a new 17 ft. Bayliner for $10,000-$11,000. Go to www.bayliner.com and <br /><br />NADA says it is worth about $3,500 used. <br /><br />The boat is fine for watersports.<br /><br />There are plenty of posts with answers regarding your technical questions. Do a search.<br /><br />But most of all: Have fun!

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree - with brettnc-- too much for that boat

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You had better got to a dealer and look at a new one. <br /><br />You can pick up a NEW Bayliner 175 with a 135hp 3.0 L i/o for $9,995.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.bayliner.com/runabouts.asp?modelid=44195&year=2005 <br /><br />Thats a new boat, a new trailer, and a new engine, with a warranty.<br /><br />$300 buys you all the lifejackets and accessories you need.<br /><br />A new Glastron 175 with a 4.3 L v-6 would be a much better quality boat, with a lot more power, but will cost you $5000 more. <br /><br />The bottom line is -- Keep looking.<br />There are a lot of really nice 3-5 year old boats out there for $10,000, and a few new ones.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Question would be who wants an old Bayliner ?<br /><br />or who wants a new one ?<br /><br />DHP

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

:eek: :eek: :( :rolleyes: <br />Believe it not, some people do.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

As for that Force engine, it is old technology and may be troublesome. <br /><br />That 120 was discontinued in 1994. All Force production ended in 1999.<br /><br />Remember, parts and service cost the same for an old motor as they do for a newer motor.<br /><br />And some shops will NOT work on Force motors.<br /><br />Local service shops and dealers know what needs to be done to keep things running, but annual maintenance and storage prep will vary depending on whether you buy an inboard, outboard, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.<br /><br />If you are not going to do it yourself, plan on spending $200-$300 per year on maintenance.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have that exact boat, bought it last month well its 18' w/ same motor and same year. I paid 4800 w/ a 2003 trailer. Its in ok shape but runs well. Offer much less and see if he takes it. If not buy new like others have said.

peevuto

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a 2004 Bayliner 175 XT and am very happy with it after a year. No problems so far, despite all the Bayliner fear mongering that goes on in this biased forum.