confusing force 85hp

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok heres the deal.the motor is an 86 force 85hp.i have been having bits of trouble lately an have worked all of them out until now.all h*** seems to have broken loose around here.so lets start from the begining shall we...be sure you have a fresh drink and some snacks handy.<br /> the problem is the motor now will not start.it began when i tore down the powerhead in order to replace a bad piston.all parts were thourally cleaned and put back together with new gaskets.flushed the tank and gave it fresh fuel.replaced the plugs.replaced fuel lines.rebuilt the fuel pump.and did a good cleaning of the carbs,but did not do a rebuild on them.I have good compression.good fire.good fuel.motor would not start at idle..nor would it start using fast idle.i temporarely disconected the shift lever as well as the neutral start switch.in this manner it would start.i checked synk and link and adjusted properly.set my idle mix screws to base setting as prescribed by the manuel.still no start.overheated starter and had it rebuild also bought a new battery(wasnt holding charge very well...old batt)starter and batt working great now.still no start.rechecked all wireing connections, cleaned and secure.all i can get is a goot wanna start and tha occasional backfire and thats about it.using muffs right now as motor is too low to set a barrel onder it.had it out once when it would start and ran good for 1 hour then would bog down at wot.would only continue to run if i lowered the throttle to about 1/2. so as it stands right now ...sometimes it wants to start and sometimes dosent sound like it feels like it...confused here...runnin around in circles...send help or a new Merc 125.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: confusing force 85hp

Stuck reeds?<br />Timing?<br />Flywheel key broken?<br /><br />??

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

For clarification, have you had it running since the rebuild? If you are sure that your compression is good and you are sure that you are getting good spark on all cyl., then the only thing left is making sure it is getting fuel. That is, unless your timing is way off.<br /><br /> When you mentioned that it backfired, I immediately thought that perhaps your spark plug wires were not connected back properly. Might want to recheck that.<br /><br /> Other than that, it may be nothing more than needing a good carb job. Try squirting some premix into each carb throat and try starting it that way. That will bypass the fuel system and let you get a better idea of whether or not it is the carbs.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Shane

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

reed arent sticky.timming is a possability.flywheel key good.I have had it running since the rebuild but will not start properly.ran for about an hour then would not stay a wot had to back down.I am certain that compression is good.and possitive on the spark.when i use the choke the carbs drool the fuel.so they are recieving fuel.have checked the plugs as well seem to be getting good fuel there as well.intend to pull them again to look this evening.still a possible timming but cannot properly check until it will start again. havent changed the settings on the timming.carb job a possability since i didnot rebuild them.will do a premix tonight as well.as far as the wires i have 3 cyl and 3 seperat coils.all vertical.unless i am wrong the top one goes to yop cyl middle goes to #2 and bottom goes to #3.manuel gives a fireing order but no indication of weather or not the wires cross at any point.will report on this again later this evening and thanks for the replies.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

took a bit closer look just a bit ago.did not seem to do any better spraying mix into carbs.however i did notice that i have fuel shooting out of a vent hole near the top of the #2 carb.(not the low speed jet)im rather certain that this should not be happening.also rechecked my fire good on #1 and #3.but #2 now seems to be intermittant,However not certain i had it set very well was gettin dark and had to stop.when it would hit as well as the others it was a bright blue.noticed that with the fuel running out of #2 card the top cyl wasnt getting much fuel.so at this point i am thinking carb rebuild...now i keep hearing that napa carries this kit but why would an auto parts store carry a carb kit for a boat?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

NAPA has its own line of Marine parts now.<br /><br />Also the needle, Should be available at any Merc dealership.<br /><br />TMD

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Napa's marine parts catalog is 600 pages.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

so from what i have posted so fer is there a concurance that a carb rebuild should do the trick or do you see any other possabilities that i should look into...and by the way thanks for the replies.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you replace all gaskets with new ones.<br />Must have perfect seal against engine.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

well here is an upate.the carb rebuild has done nothing to improve the situation.still refuses to start.still Sneezes and backfires as well.at the end of my rope here.wish i had tied a knot.currently thinking sledge hammer.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

After the initial break in...did you retorque the head? And recheck the compression?<br /><br />TMD

jrlogan11

Seaman

Are you sure it's getting fuel? Are the plugs wet after trying to start for a bit? As far as I can see, if you have good compression, good spark, and plugs are getting fuel, then there's only two reasons that you wouldn't be running.<br />1. You live on Mars and there's no oxygen to burn, or...<br />2. Timing!

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done a retorque of the head as well as a compression test afterwards.very little change in compression.i am certain that i am getting fuel, compression is good.getting an odd thing on my spark right now.last nigh went out and worked it a bit.and started for all of 2 or 3 seconds then died.turned key again would sneeze and backfire.turn again nothing.turn sneeze.turn start die imediatly.turn nothing.if i try starting it more than half dozen times iget nothing but a rotating motor no start no sneeze doesent try.probably flooding it at that point.anyway back to the spark.last night i looked at spark again.had nothing on any cyl.went out this morning and spark was there.can i borrow that sledge now?

jrlogan11

Seaman

Nope, no sledgehammer yet. We're just getting somewhere!<br />Ok, your problem is almost definitely electrical. I see you changed the plugs. How bout the plug wires and coils. You should check the voltage in the system if you can get it to run for a few secs again to see if you're charging or not, though I doubt that's the problem. It would probably run off of the battery for a bit at least. Another thing you could try is hook it up to a running car so you know you're getting a full 14 volts and see if that makes any difference.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

may try out the car idea.however while working on it today. it started again for all of about 3 seconds.when it ded and i tried to restart the started didnt want to turn it over.the starte was rebuilt less than a month ago.but took it back to the shop and they tested it for free since still under a garentee.tested good.rechecked all connections good tight and clean there.battery had fresh charge when i started this morning, but checked voltage anf still read good.so i turned the flywheel by hand and found it to be more difficult to do than normal.pulled the plugs and tried again...still hard to move...thinking a bearing may have seized up.o goodie.intend to do a wire test tomorrow up to the starter to make sure i dont have a voltage drop.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

How about checking for Multifire on the powerpacks?<br /><br />Have you done this?<br /><br />TMD

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

not compleatly understanding what you are trying to discribe Doc.so i would thin that i haven't done that yet.and i dont remember seeing it in the manuel.could you discribe the process for me?