need force explanation!

ray21

Seaman
posted this on the bottom of an old thread..but thought i might get more info with a new one...<br /><br />can anyone explain the differences in the type a,b,c,d gear housings on a 1990 force 150hp? i know i don't have type a, because the water inlet is different on it.<br /><br />also, can any of them be interchanged? if i have a 'b', which i think i do, can i replace with a 'd'. i will be using the old shafts, gears, etc...i just need a new housing...a broken skeg took a chunk out of the bottom of the old one.

ray21

Seaman
Re: need force explanation!

nobody knows anything about force gearcases??? i thought i was the only one who didn't!!! :)

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Ray,<br />I have one, but have no clue. Clanton may beable to help you, he has helped me alot with fixing my trim problems on an 88 Force 125. <br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

ray21

Seaman

just really sux because the 150 i have books for around a grand...and my options for new gearcases are as follows:<br /><br />type a & b: $1600 complete unit (rebuilt)<br /><br />type c & d: $800 for just housing<br /><br />i think mines a 'b'...and no one seems to have a used one. i have one hope, which i've emailed him already and haven't heard his reply.<br /><br />and to beat it all, the almighty duck tape just doesn't work under water... :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

IF I-boats cant help you, Try AAA outboards in Crystal river, Florida 352-795-9630, or www.aaaoutboardsmotors.com . I just talked to him, he said that he had all of them, He needs to know where water pickup is.

ray21

Seaman

thanks a lot clanton. i just sent him an email...i think mine is a 'b'...i know it isn't an 'a', and mine doesn't have an anode on the exterior, so i don't think its a 'c' or 'd'...the water intake is 5 holes on each side, located relatively in the center of the housing...<br /><br />ps...for clarification, the website is http://www.aaaoutboardmotors.com...think you added an extra s clanton.<br /><br />thanks again

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Ray, what is the serial # of your Force?<br />If you have a 90, it will be the "C",which was the same from 90-94. The anode is a sqaure 1-bolt block type dealy, as opposed to the 84-89, one piece,one port exaust.the snout doubled as the anode on those.<br />I think what is throwing you (and me) is model year.<br />OK,Ray...I'm motivated now..I got the book out.<br />ALL HAIL "THE BOOK"!<br /><br />Can you accept files? If so, I'll try scanning this info,and parts breakdown of the different models.<br />If so, Email me, and I'll get to werk..I need somebody to push into hooking up my scanner :D

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ray, there were changes internally to the cases and the gears/shafts...I cant quote gospel on this, but I am pretty sure you can swap guts between A and B housings, and you can swap guts between c and D housings...but going from an A/B to a C/D is a no go....

ray21

Seaman

well 12footer, the motor is titled as a 90 model, but i'm sure that could be wrong. i'm 99% sure its a type 'b'...there isn't an anode, and the water intake is not an 'a'...i will get the serial number tonight and post the findings.<br /><br />oddd, i would bet that you're right about switching the guts between them, although i was hoping all were interchangeable.<br /><br />i can accept files, 12footer, if you would like to get motivated... :) i do have several diagrams, including this one:<br /><br />
47.gif
<br /><br />if you have anything different, i'd love to get it....<br /><br />thanks everyone

ray21

Seaman

12footer, is that basically the diagram you have?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

LOL.Ok, I'll hook up the scanner. Yes, I have that one, but also the other versions,and script a mile long on the differences and get this....VARIATIONS. That's right, the slick buggers changed gear ratios, and bearings and..Well,you'll see.Prepare for the email onslaught (about 4pm or so). No gauruntees on quality, it's been a while.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ray 21,<br />Hope you get that thing right. I also run a 150 Force (89 model). I dont want to confuse anyone as I have a Type A housing........but there is an anode as seen in the type C housings. I dont know why but I am not worried about it. <br /><br />Ray 21 where do you run your boat at. I am from south central VA but live here in NC. I keep my boat at my folks place on Buggs Island (Kerr) Lake.<br /><br />Other than rebuilding the motor (top cylinder went out) and the lower end in 94 I really havent had any major problems with the motor. I did have to do a stator late last summer as a result of intermittent electrical problems.<br /><br />Best of Luck to you.<br /><br />Deerdog

ray21

Seaman

deerdog...i think that an anode can be mounted to any motor...but the c and d types came from the factory with one already...so you prolly have an aftermarket.<br /><br />i live near bristol, and run mostly on holston lake...which is on the va-tn border...<br /><br />i'll get it right eventually...i have found two guys who say they have all 4 types of used empty housings...so i'm gonna get the serial off mine tonight and see for sure which i need...i only dread seeing what they'll want for em... :)

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ray 21,<br />you are probably right although I know it wasnt put on by me or the previous owner. The thing only had 12 hours on it when I bought it from his father (owner killed in accident). Maybe the original dealer did it. <br /><br />I looked for a lower end for someone recently for a Force 120. It may have been you. We had a friend who runs a shop but he didnt have anytthing.<br /><br />thanks for the reply and best of luck.<br /><br />Deerdog

ray21

Seaman

ok...i got a chance to look at the engine last night...the model is 1508x90d, which does mean its a 1990. the serial is 21536...can anyone reference this to tell me which housing it is for sure?<br /><br />also, when i look up this serial on mercury parts express, its coming up with a jetdrive???

ray21

Seaman

clanton, i see you're on now...can you narrow it down from that serial #???