1984 85HP Force Troubles HELP!!!

chobes118

Cadet
I have replaced the impeller on this motor. It runs great after you let it warm up for a while... I was crusing at a slow idle and it the engine just stopped. Kind of a hard stop shook the boat a little... Was able to start it again but when I put it in gear and idled again it did the same thing. Every once in a while it would do it while it was in neutral as well. If I went from Neutral to drive fairly quick I would have no problems. <br /><br />Motor history:: All I know is that it sat without running for a few years (2-3). There is gas in the gas tank that sat that long as well. could this be my problem. Bad Gas. Should I run the gas out or drain it?? It also puffs alot of white smoke. Could it be running to rich or lean? if so how do I Adjust. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help.. Everyone in this forum has been great and I really Really appericiate it... Thanks Mike :) :confused: :confused:

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 85HP Force Troubles HELP!!!

Sounds like it could be bad gas. What is happening when you feel that jar is the engine doesn't have enough momentum to go all the way around, so when the piston gets almost to the top, the compression forces it backwards. This can be caused from bad gas, weak spark, no spark, etc. If you can drain it, it wouldn't hurt, then fill up with fresh 87 octane, and some TC-W3 equvalent oil. Most recomment tech 2000 from Wally world. This probably should be your first step. let us know how you do. good luck

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I also have an 85hp Force. Mine is an 87. I don't know what you have done to it at this point, but you need to do the following:<br /><br />1. Replace the spark plugs.<br />2. Check the fuel filter screen. Screw off the the small round cap where the fuel first enters the motor. Once you get off, the screen will be in the cap itself. Take it out noteing it's placement, clean it or replace it.<br />3. Run with FRESH gas, with TC-W3 oil. Walmart's brand is good. I do not recommend Penzoil Marine. Mix 2.56 oz of oil to the gallon.<br />4. Go to a boat store get yourself some ValveTech brand decarbon spray and follow the directions to decarb the engine. You need to do this every 60 hours of operation. <br />5. Get yourself a Clymer's shop manual or the Force engine.<br />6. Make sure you ventilating the gas tank, check your primer buld and make sure it isn't collapsing.<br />7. After you do all this, open her up and let run!<br /><br />Don't touch the carb adjustment screws yet. Most of the time something else.

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used penzoil synthetic on my last two tanks. I'm curious as to what is wrong with penzoil?

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice

I would like to know also. I used Penzoil for about 4 tank fulls. I noticed that the engine was a little slugish. In addition, I noticed that the exhaust was discharging some blueish smoke. Overall it ran o.k. After following the advice of several people, I used Walmart's Supertech brand mix, they say it is very close the Quicksilver. Did I notice a difference?<br /><br />YES<br /><br />My exhaust was not blue but more white as it should be, and the engine ran better. So, my advice to you was due to personal experience with my own Force engine. <br /><br />In addition, I just spoke to someone from Sima Marina today as a matter of fact, and they indicate that on several occasions, the Penzoil mix may been responsible for blowing a few Force engines. Now, I don't know if you should put any stock into that statement, but I wouldn't wait to see. I threw out the rest of my Penzoil mix and went and got some Supertech. The Force manual recommends the Quicksilver mix.<br /><br />Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. Please let me know if you need any other help. I may be able to help you out.<br /><br />-Mike

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I don't know about the synthetic,but the <br />regular Penzoil does seem to foul plugs quicker on a Force or older Merc. I don't know why,it just does. That blue smoke can make some nasty byproducts. All oils will smoke,but some more than others. Which is why he recommended the WallMart oil. It is cheaper, burns cleaner,and has all the tactile atributes of Quicksilver premium.<br />Some say it IS Quicksilver under the wallyworld brandname.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Raise your idle speed a half turn. Its located on the bottom of the tower shaft to the left of the carbs. The screw butts to the block and is held in place by a nut.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 87 - 85hp force also. I have used quicksilver for the past 4 years and have had absolutely no problems with my motor. The only thing I have donw is change the starter and perform routine maintanence.<br /><br />Good luck...