Rebuilt Starter Parts for Force 120 hp Outboard

tngo55

Recruit
Hi, I am new to boating. I need some help to locate a rebuilt kit for a starter of the Force 120 hp outboard? Are such a thing exist? My starter rotates well when I turn the ignition, but it does not engage into the flywheel. Last time when I got into this trouble, I have to manually pry the starter wheel to the flywheel, then I turn the ignition switch. It worked, but I want to fix the problem for the piece of mind. Thanks. -TUAN-

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Rebuilt Starter Parts for Force 120 hp Outboard

Sounds like the drive gear is an inertia type drive. The gear that meshes with the flywheel resides on a spiral spline and is thrust into the ring-gear from the rotating force of the armature shaft. It sounds like the spline and gear are gummed up. Spray some WD-40 on the spline and work the drive gear up and down several times until it moves freely. Make dam sure you have the key in your pocket when touching the gears. Never know what the wife will do if she's angree. . . ;)

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

petrydhn **** is spelled ****

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Petryshyn is right on the money about the worm gear,and how to fix your problem. But I must add that you will have to do this once a year or so. And use a few drops of 2cycle oil on the shaft,once it is clean and freed-up with the WD40.. Keep it clean and lubed,and it'll engage every time,and your gear teeth will last longer.<br />As for the starter rebuild kit,you had me looking out of curiosity...I didn't find one source. But (I did find a shop that said,"bring the old brushes and bearings in, and we will find exact replacements". Whew!

dick

Chief Petty Officer

The oil should work just fine but you should know that parts are avalible for the starter.If you can give me a year and model # I can give you a part # , or better yet you could call your local Mercury marine dealer (merc used sell Force engines if you didn't know)and they could tell you.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys got it. Spray that thing, work it up and down and then lube it. A LOT. I have the same problem on my FORCE.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Check the stator bushings at the upper end for wear while disassembled. Mine was worn causing a bind, new starter time...parts not sold seperatly(other than brushes)

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sierra Marine offers Chrysler/Force starters, drive assmeblys and brush kits. They are available from most any marine dealer.

tngo55

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your tips. I will try your suggestions, and report back. -Tuan-