85 hp force

randman

Recruit
Hello to all out there in boating land...<br />my question is no power to move boat... changed the stator due to a burnt wire. runs better now than before changing the stator. I need help please....has new plugs, new gas. hasn't been in the water for 2 yrs till this year. thanks again for the help...<br /> Randy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 hp force

I would highly suspect the carbs,Randy.<br />2 years of sitting does mean things to 2 cycle carbs. They should be removed and cleaned troughout. Pay particular attention to the pickup tube,fuel-air mixture and mixture needle ports. Make sure the jet in the side of the pickup tube is clean,and not just open (they're easy to miss, and can really harm performance).<br />Remove the float, and clean the needle and needle seat.<br />Also, while you got the cleaner out, remove the fuel pump filter and clean it with the spray.<br />The fuel pump may require rebuilding, but try it first, and see how the carb cleaning helped. The fuel pump kit is cheaper than the carb kit,tho. The diaphrams in them have a tendancy to rot from sitting and from today's "garbohol" fuels.

randman

Recruit

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely try your suggestions and get back with you. Do you have a suggestion on what type of cleaner I should use? Thanks Again Randy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I like the Valvoline carb cleaner. It works faster than most, and has this cool moveable wand thingy on the cap. Best designed can I have ever seen. Please wear eye protection, as this stuff doesn't allways come out of the carb where you think it should, and it is a wicked chemical.<br />Emulsion type, I use Gunk Carb and part cleaner. It comes in a gallon can,and has a little parts basket in the can to soak metal parts.<br />But be carefull,as this stuf eats plastic and rubber. On your carbs, I think the float needle has a rubber tip,so don't throw in the basket.<br />Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

randman

Recruit

12 fotter.... I tried the valvoline cleaner and seemed to work very well... couldn't find the carb kits locally so i didn't tear into them very far... pulled the bowls off the bottom and found some water in all 3. I know water doesn't burn..hahaha.,<br /><br />found that with the engine at idle I can squeeze the bulb and it goes very soft and doesn't feel right so I am going to purchase a new one and see if that doesn't help also... also found a missing bolt just under the mid carb in the intake.. go figure.<br /><br /> might try and put in water monday evening if have time and will let you know...<br />thanks again Randy..

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

12foot's given you some sound advice, I just wanted to ad some other options for cleaners. While the chemtool in a bucket is a good idea, you do want to be careful of the rubber parts. I usually stick with what they call power tune. It usually tears away varnish and sludge faster than regular carb cleaner, and gets some of the stuff carb cleaner won't. Also, Sea Foam is about the same stuff, sold at o'reilly's, and it is cheaper.