Force Engines - Why such a bad reputation

StrataCWM

Cadet
My Dad had a Force 48 for ten years and it never gave him a problem, but people keep telling me to stay away from Force. Why?

D

DJ

Re: Force Engines - Why such a bad reputation

They weren't all bad. Just very old tecnology bought from a company that wasn't completely dedicated to the marine business-Chrysler.<br /><br />Merc. put some new bells and whistles on them yet it was what was underneath that generally caused the grief.<br /><br />It was a "price leader" entry level engine and performed accordingly. With decent care, you probably could get decent service out of one.<br /><br />Most boaters in that catagory were clueless about maintenance and I'm sure the engines reputation suffered somewhat from that.

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in a nutshell they're bad news a " FARCE " wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole, besides it dosen't matter which website you go to, there will always be numerous discussions about farce problems, not to mention if you buy a boat with a farce you're going to be waiting a long time to find an interested uninformed buyer, do yourself a favour and run from it they're like a bad woman it will suck up all your time and money fishing is supposed to be a pleasure not a second job

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I have had two Force engines. I now have one.<br />Niether engine has given me any trouble that any other engine made wouldn't give. I sold the bigger motor,as I had no hull to mount it too, and even if I did, I'd have to get a bigger truck to haul it with. <br />The 50HP stranded me, but that was my fault. I was told that the gas in the tank was only 3 weeks old, and he must've meant years. At any rate, I should've sniff-checked it before i took it out for the first time.<br />After rebuilding the carb,cleaning out the fuel system, and rebuilding the fuel pump and impeller (just because it was old), it never let me down. I use the 50HP every weekend just about.<br />Mercury would still be making them if it wern't for the new emission ristrictions of January,2000. They are inherently dirty runners. They need frequent decarbing, and don't take kindly to being run in salt water without immediate flushing each time.<br />I can tell you from experiace, they are decent engines, being 25year old technology,with upgraded electronics. They will strand you if not cared for,but so will a brand new Yammy. It's going to become difficult to find parts for them in about 10years. Expect to be able to buy one for HALF the cost of the Merc next to it,of same vintage/size, or leave it there. But let's face facts...Not all of us can afford high end brand new twin yammies on a GradyWhite hull. Sure, I would love to have a Yammy on the back of my boat,but I like eating too.<br />But if you are maticulous about your maintainence, want to have some greenage left for gas and bait, and want to get out there on the water, why not??????????<br />They just aren't as bad as many folks who never owned one claim the are, in general.

D

DJ

Echo 12 Footer. Most of the folks that frequent these pages are people that are truly addicted to boats and everything attached to them.<br /><br />Because of that, most will do whatever it takes to keep their engines performing.<br /><br />Anyone that has one (Force) and has learned their peculiarities (just like others) will get OK service out of them.<br /><br />If you can make one go-my hats off to you. Enjoy it!

rloper

Cadet

I have a Force and have owed other brands also. The Force is a good motor and pretty simple, it like all motors require maint. I agree with all that 12footer said, its easy to bad mouth any product. I often wonder if those that are so vocal have ever owned the products they run down. Loper ;)

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know this for sure, but I know a lot of the less expensive boats (example - Bayliner) gave the Force as a standard motor, so there are probably more Forces out there than all the other motors combined.<br /><br />Soooooo, you should hear of more problems.<br /><br />And I definitely agree with djohns19 - a lot people that own them can barely spell boat maintenance, much less want to pay someone else to do it.<br /><br />Then when it dies, it's a bad motor.<br /><br />I've owned them in the past, and I feel the cheap motor has its place - it is not for everyone, but it is like the Wal-mart Murray lawn tractor. Baby it a little and it will last for your money's worth.<br /><br />But again, I may not have these feelings if I had really got took by one too - like it sounds like MURX has......

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i am still running a preforce Chrysler 45hp in all the years its been in the family its had 1 head gasket replaced and routine maintance every year since new. was ran at least twice a week all this summer. if you take care of any motor it will take care of you

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

djohns19, seadawg, 12footer I surely agree, a lot of motors, sold to a lot of novices is almost a gaurantee for a bad reputation. Hope the Force novices learn something about motors, rather than just to badmouth them. <br /><br />Boy, I am sure I will offend someone, but I bet that a former Force owner that upgrades to a Yami or whatever, and then ruins that motor due to neglect, is surely less vocal, and finally learns a lesson about maintenance! (Just to add, I have never owned a Force)

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seen people with em and towed people with em. I've been around a few older Johnsons and Mercs and they are always the better motor. SeaDawg you compare a Force to a Murray tractor. I wouldn't buy a Murray or a Force, have looked at both. But if I'm cutting my lawn and the tractor quits its a short walk to the house, but if I'm fishing offshore I sure as hell dont want my outboard to quit on me. I've seen a few for sale this past season where the seller had to sell the boat without the motor because no one wanted that Force. Bad motor or bad rep I still dont want to have to count on one when the weather kicks up!

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see your point too, Mako

its-a-sweater

Seaman

I agree with the people that said that lack of maintenance probably has hurt the rep. somewhat. I don't think they are especially bad. As long as you know what what you have meaning low tech. and take care of it with that in mind it will be allright.<br /><br />I've also heard about them needing decarb alot.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Mako MADE my point. If the grass is 12" high, you have no mower, the youngun is outta diapers,and the nieghborhood grass-nazi has the paperwerk allready done to turn you in, what would you do? I just surfed-over to JD POWERS' site,and did a search for boat ownership in the continental USA. It turns-out, that average anual income for average boat ownership $86,000 for runabouts, over $100,000 for Consoles!<br />Also, the average age of said first time boat owners is 44 for runabout, 60 for consoles!!! That is very telling. It tells me that anyone under 44years old,making less than 86K a year is lucky to be able to AFFORD anything that floats.<br />I am certain these facts too,will be picked-appart,but hey... not eveyone can afford to descriminate. Some replies here think these Force owners "can't spell maintainence". There's no need for that kinda statement. <br />Maybee he knows something I don't,but it is true that these were entry-level engines attached to entry-level boats...Many of which are still out there. Force is junk like Bayliner boats are junk,right? Well, they are inferior, but does that mean nobody should own one? How many Murray lawnmowers are out there? Who cares? Ask JD Power.<br />In the meantime, may the fish bite, and the Force be with you. And if buying a new Yammy as opposed to a 2year-old Force eans the differance between ownership or not, I'll take the Force, and take care of what I AM able to afford. Not that I take offence to the statement about spelling, but I'll spell "werk" and "maintainance" any way I want,thank you.

D

DJ

12 Footer is right. Alot of us will do whatever it takes to be on the water. I've owned alot of really nice boats. Priorities change however-like one in college and another starting in the fall.<br /><br />That's why my current rig is a restoration. Serves two purposes. <br /><br />1. Keeps me out of trouble. <br />2. I'll be on the water for less than $2500.00.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Heres something to ponder...Most beginning boaters ( and some seasoned vets)price shop the beezeebas out of an outboard and what they find at the lower end of the price range is Force. Like most anything, you get what you pay for. Force is your basic outboard, is simple to work on, but must have certain matinance done to them to keep them running right. People in the know do these things while I suspect beginning boaters want to "gas and go" therefore when they break they get deemed as "junk". Sure, some Force motors are inheirently lemons but I've found problems in most any brand of mechanical devices from outboards to autos to whatever. My experience with Force products has been a positive one.<br />My $.02 worth.. :D

PaulP

Seaman Apprentice

The Force was not with me, I bought a brand new 1996 Force as an afforable,entry level motor. What a mistake, I fell for the salesmans "oh there a great motor, they just dont have the bells and whistles that other motors have" so who needs oil injection? I have been mixing gas and oil on all my old motors,chain saws,ect. no big deal. Boy what a mistake, Stator goes 5 miles out,towed in,what maintance would have prevented that? Power pac goes,towed in,I could have prevented that with maintaince right? Trim/tilt motor goes in the up postition,Force has no release button,so I hang of back of motor in surf and undo hydrulic line to lower engine,there is no maintaince to prevent that. Force, at least mine was junk. I should have paid the extra and got a real motor, the towing charges would have been a good chunk toward the extra cost,also you cant put a price on saftey.I would rather not be out than to be in situations such as surf,river currents,giant wakes from drunken boaters ect. than be out with unreliable equipment.People have had luck with Force, and that is great, but my advice is to stay away from force,save a little longer if you have to but wait until you have a safe reliable set up before you go out. Why do you SeaTow got so big so fast.<br />Have Fun Be Safe

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got my first boat when I was 13, it was a 16' glasspar avalon 120 mercruiser I/O manual tilt, 2nd boat came at age 30 it was a 27' gayliner victoria volvo/chevy, next came a 26' daycruiser with a chevy/volvo, next 17' center console with a 100hp merc 4cyl 2+2, next I bought an open 20' fishing boat with a chevy/volvo, next an invader 18' center console with a 90hp merc 3 cyl, next I bought a 23 walkaround cuddy chevy/mercruiser, next I bought another 22' walkaround cuddy this one was a 305/mercruiser, next I bought an aquasport 28x10 walkaround cuddy with a volvo 350 inboard, currently I have a searay laguna 21 with a 175 merc, last time I counted I had owned 3 mercruisers, 3 volvo outdrives 1 vovlo inboard and 3 mercury outboards pretty much did all my own repairs till I could afford to pay someone else to do it! I would never even consider owning a force engine they are junk IMHO , a freind bought a 21 or 22 trophy with a two force 125's he was so discusted with it he sold it for about 5000.00 less than he paid for it! couldn't give it away, I don't like force engines and I'd rather push my chevy than drive a Ford it's all about preference and resale you like force engines thats your right to do so me I'll pass for sure, only good things I've read about force engines were in this thread period! :D Don

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hey don, I feel the same way about the chevies.<br />You couldn't give me another Ford,and have me keep it.<br />Oya, and weekend befre last, I towed a 1 year old Merc back to the dock with my Force.But I still like Mercs.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I need a pair of of these realy junky motors,<br />120/125, 25 inch shaft, 1989 up, compression must be up to spec. Condition of ignition and T&T not inportant. Will pickup in FL,GA, or South AL. Clanton@atlantic.net