mid-80s 14' Zodiac - Sell or Repair?

jaybowalker

Recruit
I have a mid-80s model Zodiac. It's 14' long, and is set up with aluminum floor panels and a wooden motor mount (rated for up to a 55 HP motor). My delima is whether I try to get rid of the boat or fix it, keep it, enjoy it. Pros and Cons below; any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Pros: It still floats! I can set it up, and it seems pretty solid when it's on the water. I have three boys, and they certainly enjoy cruising around in it. It's portable, and packs down very compactly compared to how large it is when fully set up.

Cons:
Registration - The boat has never been registered, simply because my father-in-law bought it new in the 80s, and used it in Nigeria primarily. Once it was brought back, he never put it in the water, and gave it to me. Not sure how to go about registering the boat, and worry every time I take it out for a test run (the wife would shoot me if I got a ticket on the water).

Air Leak - It has a small, seemingly undetectable air leak. Not big enough to really affect the experience of being on the water, but noticable if left set up for over a day. Just a general annoyance really, but not sure how I would even go about tracking down which section has the leak.

Parts Falling Off - The rubber parts tend to fall off, and then I have to reglue them. The glueing process is ROUGH. Not only is the glue strong enough to make your forget who you are for a few hours, but it doesn't always take. I've had mixed results reglueing parts, but have come to a pretty decent process by using a dremel/drill to grind off old glue and isopropyl alcohol to clean the area immaculately before reapplying parts. Is this normal for old Zodiacs?

Not sure what it's worth - This thing probably went for a few thousand back in the 80s, and we all know how boats appreciate over the years (hardy-har-har)...I can't imagine the thing is worth more than $500. I posted a few ads trying to get rid of it a year ago, and didn't get any bites. Maybe I'm asking too much - I have no idea really.

Molska

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mid-80s 14' Zodiac - Sell or Repair?

I've been going through the same thing. Actually re-gluing and painting the bottom with paint for inflatables. To me its a good little project and you should do it right once. It may cost you a couple of hundred but its worth it. For me id buy it for 500 thats if you send it to Alberta.

The paint i used was from a company called TUFF. Just google TUFF for inflatables.

And i have the same problem with a leaky valve. Sorry can't help you there