Old style vs new style Q6 Trolling motor plate

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got back from vacation today, and sure enough the trolling motor plate I received from Bass pro thru tahoe parts customer service, is the old style. (Spring plate) on front side top. I guess thats for the original trolling motor, which I probably can`t get anymore. I haven`t matched it on the boat yet, but I think the only difference is the forward hole where the spring plate is. If that`s the case, can`t the forward hole be drilled larger with the spring plate removed? I think, that`s the only difference, in the old vs`s the new plate. Anyone deal with this problem yet? I was hoping to be able to mount the W55 motor guide trolling motor on the plate. Ps. My Q6 is an 06.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Old style vs new style Q6 Trolling motor plate

I am dealing with this right now. The new style and old style are the same length and the hole positions are the same. I took my old style to Bass Pro and put it on a 2009 model and it fit just fine. The original trolling motors for the 06 Q6 was a hand operated 55lb thrust bow mount and you can still get them anywhere Motorguide is sold. I have purchased the W55 and have my plate being modified this weekend. It should be done tomorrow. I will post pictures to show you what I had done. I basically just had the aluminum post marked when it was on the boat and then have it cut and welded at that length. The new style plates are just like that, no spring tensioning in the front. Just insert the plate at a 90 degree and turn and screw in the knob.
The mounting plate for the W55 will stick out about 4 1/2 inches in front of the plate to accomodate the wireless model not swinging out but just dropping in to place. A post in another thread showed a new style plate with the wireless mounting plate bolted and was secure enough with no problems. Tracker probably sent you the mounting plate based on the year of your boat. I have also seen the wireless plate mounted by building an adapter plate to raise the mounting position to clear the spring mount on the front of the old style. I wanted to modify mine to be more like the new style. I will post when it's finished.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mccownk! Please let me know an approximate price they charge you for the modify, so I can decide wether to return or modify. I`ll be looking forward to the pix! I`m sure there will be others who have to deal with this exact same problem.;)

jakeb

Cadet

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, got the mount back and it works great. Instead of bolting the new wireless mounting plate to the modified old style plate, I hade it welded to eliminate any bolt clearance issues and having to countersink or cut the underside of the trolling motor itself. Here are pictures of the completed job and it is solid as a rock when mounted on the boat. I also included a picture of the motor wiring that will need to be done to complete the job. The plug I purchased at Bass Pro for around $15 is the one you will need to fit the recepticle on the Tahoe. For pricing on the mount modification, just show them these pictures and let them give you a price. This was an easy job, just mark the front of the old style mount when it is mounted on the boat and take it down to the local machine shop or welding shop. All the pieces are aluminum. Good luck!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Modified mount.jpg
    Modified mount.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Front modified mount.jpg
    Front modified mount.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Back modified mount.jpg
    Back modified mount.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Bottom modified mount.jpg
    Bottom modified mount.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Motor plug wiring.jpg
    Motor plug wiring.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some additional pictures.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Motor clearance.jpg
    Motor clearance.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Motor stowed.jpg
    Motor stowed.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Motor stowed 2.jpg
    Motor stowed 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mccownk, looks good and thanx for posting so quickly! Just a couple of questions. Once you take the trolling motor off, is it easy to take off and on the mount? Looks like you have the plate and trolling mount come off and on as one.How does the forward side release? Is the forward mount pin held down by the welded on trolling mount?

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, the forward pin was welded in place and then the wireless mount was welded on top. If you look at the picture "Front modified mount" it shows me holding the mount at a 90 degree to the boat. This is how you insert the front mount because of the pin on the underside. You then turn the mount 90 degrees and fasten it down with the rear knob. The trolling motor is then mouinted to the plate. You can remove the motor or remove the entire assembly.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mccownk, thanks for all your help. I know a guy who does aluminum welding, so I`ll do my plate just like you did. That will save me from having to send my 06 plate back for a 07 plate. Can`t wait to go get my W55. Thanx!!:D:D