Are Tahoe boats a good option?

topcop105

Cadet
I am a SeaRay owner from way back. I am completely sold on their quality and performance but they are so high priced. Wondering if the Tahoe boat is a viable option? Also wondering how they hold up; if anyone has had one a couple years I would love to hear about how it has been.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Are Tahoe boats a good option?

Hi Top Cop,

Welcome to iBoats.

I've had my Tahoe Q7i with 5.0 Merc MPI, 260 hp since August 2007. So far, I am pleased with this boat but, I should've opted for the larger power plant (rated for 320 hp). It's a heavy boat and being a former bass boat owner, I like top end performance...But, had to sacrifice that for the family.

I've read all kinds of horror stories about the structural integrity of Tahoe's hull and dealer/manufacturer's support services. But honestly, I have not experienced any of them. The dealer where I purchased my boat has been very responsive to all my inquiries thus far. I think the majority of problems the other Tahoe boat owners have had is because of lack of maintenance and abuse.

If you're considering on buying one, make sure you look up the dealer's past experiences from other boat owners and see if there's been any complaints filed against them on the BBB website.

Good luck!

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think they are like any other product...they have there teething problems when they first come out. You will read a thread about one person having hull issues right now. Although I take these issues with a grain of salt, because no one really knows what happened prior to this problem. IF you are looking for a boat to get into boating, I think you will be pleased. I know I am.

Bow Hunter

Cadet

NO!

I purchased a 2008 196 WTOB in August of 2007. The boat has been in the shop a total of 7 times. In my opinion, Tracker builds poor quality boats and backs it with poor customer service.

In the first 2 months I owned the boat it was in the shop for 4 weeks getting fiberglass repairs. I am currently waiting on a call from Tracker to bring the boat in for more fiberglass work. These cracks are in a different spot.

I would look somewhere else.

Just my opinion.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Man...Bow Hunter, sorry to hear about your problems and frustrations. Do you have a friend or family member that practices law? Perhaps they can help expedite the process faster. Similar situation happened to me with a used car and got immediate results. Dealers don't want to waste money on attorney fee's and are willing to get rid of a claim as fast as possible.

Good luck!

cbavier

Lieutenant

I suggest you read the post completely to answer your question
"Are Tahoe boats a good option?

Follow the links that are posted in this thread. "Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat" This should answer your question.
If you get lost start over. READ THEM ALL if you really want to know. Some
links will take you to other Web Sites. It would probably be best to add the Thread to your favorites or Bookmark the page if your using Mozilla cause your sure to get lost. Over 7500 Boats owners are tracking this thread.

the thread is "Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat"

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once again that's one boat....Do you know the history of that boat...NO. You know what one guy has said, you dont' know how the boat has been used or abused. If Tahoe had a huge problem, this forum would be blowing up with problems, because I can promise you they sell a lot of boats due to the price. On forum like this you only hear the complaints....You never hear anyone come on here and say....Man my boat has been great for yrs, never a problem. Because that is not a realistic thing, especially with boats and what they are put through. I agree the Customer Service lacks a little....ok a lot. But as far as the boat goes it's not a bad boat......Granted it's not a 50k cobalt, but it's a solid starter boat the most people can get into resonably and have yrs of enjoyment..

cbavier

Lieutenant

Once again that's one boat....Do you know the history of that boat...NO. You know what one guy has said, you dont' know how the boat has been used or abused. If Tahoe had a huge problem, this forum would be blowing up with problems, because I can promise you they sell a lot of boats due to the price. On forum like this you only hear the complaints....You never hear anyone come on here and say....Man my boat has been great for yrs, never a problem. Because that is not a realistic thing, especially with boats and what they are put through. I agree the Customer Service lacks a little....ok a lot. But as far as the boat goes it's not a bad boat......Granted it's not a 50k cobalt, but it's a solid starter boat the most people can get into resonably and have yrs of enjoyment..

I only suggested he read the posts and links to the other Web Sites where all the Info, Credits and customer Complaints where posted. Sorry if I offended you. But the facts are the facts. Tahoe and BPS have a definite problem both with Tahoe with QUALITY AND both with CUSTOMER SERVICE. Once again Tahoe has over 7500 Boaters watching how they take care of their customers. There can't be much history the Boat is only a year old at the most.

cbavier

Lieutenant

lrdchaos I only suggested he read the posts and links to the other Web Sites where all the Info, Credits and customer Complaints were posted. Sorry if I offended you. But the facts are the facts. Tahoe and BPS have a definite problem both. Tahoe with QUALITY AND both with CUSTOMER SERVICE. Once again Tahoe has over 7500 Boaters watching how they take care of their customers. lrdchaos apparently you have a Tahoe and are pleased with it. That's great. I hope you continue to have good success with your boat and enjoy it for many years.

Once again the THREAD is "Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat"

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think some people have been a little quick to bash Tahoe, Tracker, BPS, and anyting else affiliated with Tahoe boats. I have read all the threads...multiple times. It's quite a bad situation for that owner and I don't envy him in any way. I also know that if I were in Tahoe/Tracker's position and someone was asking me for $30K in refunds or a new boat. I would most certainly take the time to determine exactly what happened before I agreed to anything. Is this a real problem? Yes. Is it possible that this is a manufacturing defect? Yes. Does that instantly taint the entire brand? No. Every manufacturer out there, has produced at least one lemon. I seriously doubt, Sea Ray, or Regal, or any other manufacturer would quickly pony up some cash as soon as someone produced a banged up boat.

I have done hours and hours of research on boats over the past month. Everything from studying engine tests, 3rd party reviews, owner reviews, maintenence reports, rand eading this forum. I am placing an order for a 2008 Tahoe Q7i this week. Is there a possibility that there will be some problems with the boat? Of course...but if I only purchased products that were flawless and never had a registered complaint, I would own exactly nothing.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Bully for you BA. Like I've said, I am very happy with my Q7i. I haven't had any real serious issues with the boat since buying it in August 2007. It serves all my purposes well and I like the layout. This is my first sports boat with an i/o and I'm beginning to enjoy it. I'm nearly fifty years old and just starting to wakeboard and ski. Reliving my second childhood...YIPPEEEEE!

Rich

1934MOM

Cadet

FOR BAMALUM97: It's Sounds Like You Have Done Your Research,(WONDERFUL) Whats Your Opinion On The Mercury 150el Efi That Tahoe Offers On The 195o/b. Will Be Used In The Saltwater As Well As In Lake Water.
Thanks!!! Looking Foward To Your Reply!!

catfish101

Recruit

Hi guys, am new to the forum and looks like a lot of good info here. I too bought my first boat last year and it is a 2007 Q7 5.0 MPI Alpha 1 with a 1.81 gear ratio. I bought the boat because of price and as far of how it runs its great, but as for the boat it has had alot of small problems. For starters the speed omiter did not work and there was no access panel to the fuses or the dash, so used it once took it back they had it 4 weeks, and keep in mind I bought it at begining of boating season. So finally got it back took it to the lake and every thing seem to work. Got home and washed the boat inside and out and the floor drain didnt drain. So I called them they said to bring it in and they would look at it, and I ask how long would it take and they said 2 weeks or more. I decieded to wait because it would still be under warenty. Then I was looking at the out side of the boat and noticed a blimish about the size of a soft ball so took it in they said the would fix it and the drain problem, 5 weeks later I finally got it back and when asked about the drain they had not had a chance to look at it and if I wanted to leave it they would look at it first chance we had a few words and I took it home. So they pretty much had it more than I did. And after the 4th time of using it the in dash debt finder would show 60 ft. no matter if it was 2ft or 200ft. Took it back they had it 2 more weeks and called me and said they would have to order a new debt finder and it would be another 2 weeks so I waited till it was time to winterize the boat. They said 2 weeks to winterize and put new sonar in. I called after 2 weeks it wasnt ready they said they were really busy to give them another week. So after 6 weeks it was ready. So when I took it out the first time the sonar still doesnt work and the drain problem they couldnt fix either, said I would just have to live with it. Sorry for the long vent but I guess you get what you pay for. And the tires on the trailor got some big cracks and had to be replaced which they did with the same tires.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey catfish, sorry to hear you had those problems. But from reading your post, all of the issue was with your dealer, not Tahoe. I have had some minor problems with my boat, but I have told the dealer whenever I take it in to them, I want it back next weekend. And if they can't get it back next weekend, I don't leave it.

The dealer I work with is a local place and is very good. As I stated in a previous post, I bought a Tahoe from them because that's what they sell. I didn't buy from them because they sell Tahoes. Customer service is outstanding and they are always able to get my boat in and out with in a week.

If I were having the problems you are, I would look at finding another place to have my boat serviced. One that would value me as a customer instead of just another guy with a boat.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RET USN CPO, Your statement about the local dealer says it all,as Ive been their and done that.And 1934MOM, I have a 2004 150efi on my 2001 Q3 F/S and love it(had a 115 opit max:(),now my boat is smaller & lighter.Now it is the max hp for my setup and it pushes it 55 to 59 (gps)running a trophy plus four blade ss vented prop.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to chime in, too....and, say that my Tahoe dealer is extremely set on providing the best customer satisfaction they can possibly offer. They send me service reminders, discount coupons and even remembered my birthday by sending me a card with a $10 gift certificate from their sporting goods department. Unheard of in today's world.

Never, have they asked me to leave the boat for repair. They tell me, "We'll call you when the parts come in and then you can schedule an appointment".

The most they've had my boat is a week for some dealer installed options. Also, when I bought my boat I looked at their service department and saw how many people were working in there. The more people you see, the faster service you get.

This dealer gets my 5 Star rating for sales and service.

Rich

etransfer

Seaman

I have a brand new Lincoln Mark LT - $56,000 truck and in three months
I've had the left window switch go out, tire pressure sensor issues and every time they change the oil all the electrical components mess up.

I've had it back to the dealer three times now for issues and they have been great and always fixed them the same day.

Would I get another Lincoln Mark LT - you bet your ***** I would !

I've had my 08 Tahoe Q6 back to the dealer on a couple issues myself. Would I buy another one - you bet your ***** I would !

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FOR BAMALUM97: It's Sounds Like You Have Done Your Research,(WONDERFUL) Whats Your Opinion On The Mercury 150el Efi That Tahoe Offers On The 195o/b. Will Be Used In The Saltwater As Well As In Lake Water.
Thanks!!! Looking Foward To Your Reply!!

Sorry for the delay in response...been spening all my spare time cruising the lake and swimming...

Anyway, I think you will be happy with the 150efi...just be sure to flush it well after using it in saltwater...

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just like everyone...I've had a handfull of small issues on my Tahoe...in my opinion, all of them are items that should have been caught during dealer prep and NOT Tahoe boat structural problems (i.e. loose screws, stereo wiring, etc...). In any case, the dealer has never had my boat for more than two days. In fact, my dealer has even sent a tech up to my local marina so I wouldn't have to bother with pulling my boat out of the slip and loading it on the trailer...

I have an email address that goes to the owner of my Tahoe dealer...anytime I have a problem or a question, I shoot him an email and gets right back to me about it...

REASEARCH YOUR DEALER JUST LIKE YOU RESEARCH YOUR BOAT!!!!!

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Just like everyone...I've had a handfull of small issues on my Tahoe...in my opinion, all of them are items that should have been caught during dealer prep and NOT Tahoe boat structural problems (i.e. loose screws, stereo wiring, etc...). In any case, the dealer has never had my boat for more than two days. In fact, my dealer has even sent a tech up to my local marina so I wouldn't have to bother with pulling my boat out of the slip and loading it on the trailer...

I have an email address that goes to the owner of my Tahoe dealer...anytime I have a problem or a question, I shoot him an email and gets right back to me about it...

REASEARCH YOUR DEALER JUST LIKE YOU RESEARCH YOUR BOAT!!!!!

Wow...service calls to you. Now that's a reputable dealer worth referring your friends and family to.

Oh, by the way, that's also good advice to research.