1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Super awesome job ! I just went through your whole thread again, forgot how much I liked some of the things you did. Pictures at the end are excellent, nice to see the finished product in action.:rockon: Where were you camping in post #598 ? looks familiar

Thanks knezzer! That pic was at my permanent campsite in Dutch Creek, British Columbia. We are not on a lake but I have my pick of 5 different lakes from 15 - 50 minutes away.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Super awesome job ! I just went through your whole thread again, forgot how much I liked some of the things you did. Pictures at the end are excellent, nice to see the finished product in action.:rockon: Where were you camping in post #598 ? looks familiar

Thanks knezzer. Camping picture is at my permanent site in Dutch Creek, BC. The campground isn't on a like but there are 5 lakes from 15-50 minutes away. I love the campground because it is rustic and not like a trailer park like so many permanent campgrounds are.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
So are you Candutch because of the campground or because of your last name? My wife has some dutch family up in Edmonton.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
So are you Candutch because of the campground or because of your last name? My wife has some dutch family up in Edmonton.

Because of my heritage, I'm first generation Canadian. Almost all of my family is in Holland. Also makes for a real fitting Campground name.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Because of my heritage, I'm first generation Canadian. Almost all of my family is in Holland. Also makes for a real fitting Campground name.

Genealogy is cool, well at least me. Did they pass on language to you too?

Second generation American here, my family came from Germany but my grandmother was from Netherlands.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is really cool. I’m 4th generation. My wife is 3rd with a Grandma in Edmonton who speaks only in Dutch when she is ornery. She actually speaks Frisian Dutch. They didn’t pass along the language to us unfortunately.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
The first language I spoke was Dutch. Grew up speaking a mix of Dutch and English at home but seeing as I moved out right after high school and across the country I have lost a lot of it. I can get by but I'm embarrassed at how bad it is now.
MD28 I​​​​​​I have a real hard time understanding Frieslanders, that accent is aweful lol. They are like the newfies of Holland.

barrybright

Recruit
I am hoping to do something very similar on the rear deck of my 72 Holiday 18' (to be converted to open bow with a front deck). I did something very similar on a past build of a 17" flat bottom in extending the rear deck but felt that the rivets at the joints alone were borderline insufficient in holding the framing together. I was, however, using 2x smaller 1/8" aluminum rivets at each joint.

My question is..

How do you think the framing will fare with the rivets that you've used? I have some 1/4" pop rivets which I will likely use on this new project. Anyone think using some brazing rods in addition to rivets or having the joints TIG welded is warranted or just overkill?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I am hoping to do something very similar on the rear deck of my 72 Holiday 18' (to be converted to open bow with a front deck). I did something very similar on a past build of a 17" flat bottom in extending the rear deck but felt that the rivets at the joints alone were borderline insufficient in holding the framing together. I was, however, using 2x smaller 1/8" aluminum rivets at each joint.

My question is..

How do you think the framing will fare with the rivets that you've used? I have some 1/4" pop rivets which I will likely use on this new project. Anyone think using some brazing rods in addition to rivets or having the joints TIG welded is warranted or just overkill?

barrybright I see no issues with how the 3/16th rivets will hold up. There are a lot of them in there and remember that everything is tying into each other. The decking and splashwell add to that structure of the framing. I also used steel mandrel rivets for the deck which I sealed with 5200 on both sides.

I checked all of my plans for the rear deck with my engineer buddy and he gave everything a thumbs up. After half a season on the water there are no obvious week points. I hope that answers you questions.

barrybright

Recruit
Thanks Candutch! I'll have to look into getting some steel rivets to use rather than the aluminum ones that I already have. I'll also look into using some 5200 as you have done. On a past project I used some 1/8th inch aluminum rivets which didn't hold up after two seasons of use. I was very impressed with your whole restore and want to do something very similar.

Good work and thanks for all the inspiration and helpful information!

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Helloo My I ask what glue was used to attach the nautolex to the metal console panels?

thank you

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure how I got myself into this, actually I do know. It started when I was looking for a larger inflatable on Kijiji when I came across this gorgeous shiny aluminum SS 160 with a link to iboats. Yes, the "Naked Lady". I was amazed at how an almost 30 year old boat could look brand new. Then I started looking at other restorations and I was truly inspired. I found myself searching for an old Starcraft aluminum boat to restore. The first one I tried to look at was a 76 holiday 18' with an i/o OMC, it wasn't running and needed some other work to be sea worthy. I really wanted a SS for the open bow and wanted an O/B but figured if I got it cheap enough there was alot of info on converting it. While corresponding back and forth with the owner and unable to set up a time that worked for both of us a SS 180 was listed only 2 hours away. I talked with the owner and found out it needed a new transom and some other TLC but the motor ran last fall and the leg was rebuilt at the local boat shop last fall as well. I jumped on it and we made a deal without seeing it for $1750, barring any major damage.

Here she is.

The floor is shot, 2 layers of ply on back, the only thing keeping the motor from pulling the transom off is the ski pole and cargo straps but, the t&t work, got a fish finder, spare new prop, ski ropes and life jackets.

I would love to get this restored this summer but I have other projects started that have to get done before hunting season. My goal is to get the boat gutted (which is actually done already) bottom stripped and polished and back on the trailer before winter when the fun stuff begins.

Man im sick with envy...great grab and price!

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Man it's been a long time since I've been on, time sure gets away from ya.
Too many projects on the go. I totally renod my laundry room and added a hot tub and expanded my outdoor living area that I started last year. Now all three levels of the deck have an arbor over them and by the fall will be covered with polycarbonate panels.
But for now it's trailer season, I'm out at the trailer for my first 2 weeks of the year and finally got the boat out with the admiral yesterday. Everything ran great and it's all set to take my nieces and sister out tubing today. They are up visiting from Houston so it's nice that we could time getting together out at the lake.
I will say I am disappointed not to get anything done on my winter to do list on the boat. It was such a long cold winter that I couldn't bring myself to go out in the unheated garage to do anything. Hoping to get some of the boxes checked off when I am alone out here at the trailer.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
You asked Rob so here you go :D​​​​​​. This is the only way I can post them on my phone. First pic is at Columbia Lake and the second is from tubing with my nieces at Premier Lake.

Attachments

• photo295356.jpg
    photo295356.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo295358.jpg
    photo295358.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 14