1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Perhaps you have already thoughtof it, but as I recall you have the high HP 4.3l in the Islander. What about pulling that and putting it in the 26', and buying the much cheaper 165 or 140 for the 21'? I know the 21' is almost done, but could be a cheaper option

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the 4.3 out of the islander,...

And then put a big tiller on the islander,...........

No more pesky consoles to build!!!!

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so since we were kicking around how to power this boat with the last few posts up there ^^^^^ here are my thoughts:

5.7 V8 - I do believe this would be the ideal match for this boat. Good weight to HP and still ok fuel mileage. This is what I'd really like to have in this boat.

454 - More HP than I really need, extra weight, thirsty. But, would be pretty sweet in this light alum boat! If one came along at a good price, I'd grab it.

4.3 - If I can find one of the higher HP versions, 205, 225, that would be just fine. Should push this boat plenty and awesome mileage while trolling all day. If I could score an MPI, oh, that would be cool too! (prolly not likely though)

I6 - The I6 would do ok I suppose but prolly a little light on the HP. The simple matter of the bolt up to what I got would be nice. This engine would likely come cheap too. But, in the end, I know I would want more ya know.

Twin I6 or Twin 3.0/140 - Twins would be really cool! But, as much as I love the IO, double of everything seems like a giant pain, so, prolly not.

OB on the bracket - This option would be cool and the extra cockpit space would be totally awesome! But $$$. I am not a rich man. The bracket, plus the big HP OB would be 2 or 3 times as much as gutting a nasty glasser for a transplant. Plus, I think I just love the IO.

So, that's where I'm at on the driveline. The thing I really like is I have time on my side. I am in no rush with this project and am happy to wait till just the right one comes along.

Diesel

chriscraft254

Commander

5.7 would be my choice. You will like the power/fuel economy combo. Will be perfect for that hull and size.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Fast work Jason, I agree with Chris, 5.7 awesome engine, hard to kill.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, thats x2 for the 5.7 Jason. Don't know if you ever owned one of the 454s, I have. The power and durability are awesome. However, best own an oil well cause they love their gasoline.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, ok, whatever, "Mr. I just gutted the whole interior in a weekend when I really am not working on it"......

Ha! Yah, I have some motivation though. See, some of the pieces I just pulled out will actually be used in the Islander, stay tuned...

Thats a huge interior! Nice progress :)

Yah, it's big! As I was standing in there and thinking, I figured that this boat could pretty easily be a dual helm boat...
72339fcc-6284-4e29-98a2-217e63c335da.jpg

That would be pretty nice for cold/wet/rainy/snowy fishing ya know.

Would be nice sometimes but not necessarily the best use for me though.

Your boat stinks! Well, it used too. I see a karaoke barge. :D

Kiddos were totally grosed out, but they though the dead mice were cool. Their minds were working on how to scare the stuffing out of their mother with that livewell:laugh:

I can see the head of steam fizzling out when the paint removal chore strikes hard with that acre of painted tin. I'm feeling that right now as a matter of fact. Oh lord and the 300 Lbs of foam. :eek:

You've got that right WM. Those two jobs right there ^^^^ will take me forever and a day. Monster amount of time, rats.:blue:

Perhaps you have already thoughtof it, but as I recall you have the high HP 4.3l in the Islander. What about pulling that and putting it in the 26', and buying the much cheaper 165 or 140 for the 21'? I know the 21' is almost done, but could be a cheaper option

Pull the 4.3 out of the islander,...

Nope, that 4.3 is the 2BBL 175 HP version. Plenty for the Islander and I certainly have no desire to pull it otta there!

That would be cool, but, the fill up at the pump would be silly painful!

5.7 would be my choice. You will like the power/fuel economy combo. Will be perfect for that hull and size.

Fast work Jason, I agree with Chris, 5.7 awesome engine, hard to kill.

Yah, that'll be what I'm after. Just the right combination of old nasty cheap boat with good lookin, great runnin V8 all at bottom feeder pricing. I just need to keep the eyes peeled for such an animal.

Don't know if you ever owned one of the 454s, I have. The power and durability are awesome. However, best own an oil well cause they love their gasoline.

I had one in my last Burb, it was an awesome puller but man the fuel bill did hurt!

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

On the dual helm, I had a forward helm on a 18' Lone Star cuddy before and found it far from ideal. When I got even a little speed up, the bow would go up a bit making it very difficult to see anything less the 100' in front of me. It would have been ok for trolling but anything else I found it to be a pain. Just my 2 cents

72mtwain

Seaman

Too far and maybe too much??

1996 crownline 202br
10/14/2013 @ 05:49 PM
Contributed by: stitch
Views:: 26
Boat is clean and in god shape, I replaced some decking in it due to water damage. The interior is in overall good shape, there are a few small cracks in some of the vinyl, but the boat looks nice. The bench seat in the back will need redone, all the parts are there, but it ill need some work. It has a 5.7 mercruiser motor with a stainless prop. It also come with a brand new stock prop (NOT REBUILT). It ran good when it was parked a few years ago, it turns over and starts fine now, but may need the carbs cleaned due to being in storage. It has a ladder on the back and ski ropes are included. It has a dual axle trailer with brand new tires. It has a CD player and a depth alarm. Boat has 288 hours on it. It's not perfect, which is why its being sold cheap. It's green and white. It'll make someone a very nice boat for the price. I am a little flexible on the price, I need it gone quick. I'll take $4500 or best offer, boat books around 10K

Call or text 641 521 3509

If you called about it a while back, I apologize, I got a new phone number and lost everyones numbers, and work got real busy at the same time so I put off selling it.

InMotion

Commander

Man... you've got enough room for the whole family to crash for the night! That really is a bigggggg amount of useable space!!! Nice gut job.... should be interesting to see what's below the floor!!! :)

J.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why should anyone believe that this is the boat that Jasoutside wants to rebuild and keep for for more then a few months after it's painted? Is this the dream machine or is it a stepping stone like all the rest? I wonder if a 40 foot glasser is in the future? just sayin!!!
You are on the edge of using the emotions of the Starmada!!
:confused-new:

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Why should anyone believe that this is the boat that Jasoutside wants to rebuild and keep for for more then a few months after it's painted? Is this the dream machine or is it a stepping stone like all the rest?

Trust me man, this is it. This one will stay in the family, someday, if one or both of the boys care to own it, it'll be theirs:joyous:

I wonder if a 40 foot glasser is in the future? just sayin!!!

:confused-new:

See, now yur just using foul language here on the open forum!!!:facepalm:

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it were me, I would keep the back end as open as possible. The more room back there the better! This is going to be a fishing boat the other one more of a fun boat. I wouldn't put jump seats or anything back there. I get sick of even the dog house and mine is lower and not as wide. I have the 5.0 in my Thompson and it is a little under powered to my liking but it is a way heavier boat than what you have. It has been a great motor for me and trolls like a dream.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, totally agree MD. I really hated those seat boxes I just pulled out of there. Man, they took up so much cockpit space. When I build em back they will be a lot different. I might even skip the seat boxes all together in favor of pedestal helm seats and a pair of those swing out/hinge seats if ya know what I'm talking about.

So yah, I'll be doing what I can to keep this cockpit clear of most everything.

Yah, there are a fair number of 5.0 donor boats out there but I figure if I'm going to put the weight of the V8 in this boat I should no doubt run with the 5.7 eh.

InMotion

Commander

and a pair of those swing out/hinge seats if ya know what I'm talking about.

Are you talking about a fixed back rest that is attached to the sides of the boat and a flip down bench part --- so that you can flip it up when fishing and flip down for cruising?

That'd be cool! :)

J.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ya can always go hillbilly and pop rivet a couple lawn chairs to the stern...Fold up fishing..pull down cruising

:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.