• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

Condensed version of this topic:
    http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...al-restoration
    {Located under the COMPLETED PROJECTS forum**

Only cure for the addiction is another corroded, rotted out, painted over, engine in a basket tub of rivets. Every man's driveway should contain at least one of these monsters.

Stand at attention, heels click together and I salute the brotherhood that is The Starmada!

I fear not the many hours of hard labor she offers in exchange for her loyalty. I will gladly throw myself into the belly of the beast!

Last edited by jbcurt00; August 14th, 2018, 10:26 AM.
    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Re: Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

You may need to see a counsellor for your addiction. Trouble is, you won't find one here. I just read your Sea Nymph restoration - love what you did with the paint job, and I look forward to following you through with this one. What do you have for a motor in this?
    Peter
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    1968 Starcraft Holiday, 2012 Yamaha F90
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain 25'

The Yellow Submarine
    14' Lone Star Transom Replacement
    1955 Johnson QD-16 10hp restoration

Comment

"engine in a basket"

What motor is in the basket? A little detailing, duct tape and JB Weld - as good as new.

She looks like a good project, Watermann. Welcome to the Starmada DryDock.
      BOAT SPECS • FORUM HELP • STARCRAFT FORUM • SHOP iboats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Nice rig Watermann, after you give it the once over, like the SN, it'll serve you well.

You now have small (SN 16') & Med (SC Chief 18' )

Large & XL can't be far behind

Good luck, and w/ a cuddy & the possibility of privacy, the Admiral should be on board w/ this addition. Heck, work it just right & maybe she'll agree: This rig was HER idea
        Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Great looking Chief, and it doesn't have green growth in the bottom and misc yard junk piled in it from the last ten years.
          Glen
          2012 SOTY Winner
          Complete Restore 1976 Hoilday 18 "ĪN THE RED" Condensed version https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-tin-out-re-do
          Thread https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...mercruiser-120
          1986 Starcraft SS201 (Complete) "SOLD
          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543074
          My 79 18 SS rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/showthread....hlight=dozerii "SOLD"

Comment

Welcome and congratulations!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with her!
            aka BlueFin16
            1975 StarCraft SuperSport and 70Hp Evinrude Restoration Thread

Comment

The engine in a basket. Actually I got a bin with 2 x 2.5 L Chev (Mercruiser 120). I should have 2 sets of everything but I haven't inventoried the heap yet.

Also in the deal were 3 outdrives.

Last edited by Watermann; July 9th, 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Beauty ! Nice find.

Looks like a wide open pallete to work with and I/O to boot.

Trailer looks good, 2 engines, 3 outdrives, Starcraft logo up....I'd say you are in the business my man.

Looking forward to this one.

Congrats H20
                1985 Celebrity 21'
                1973 Chris Craft 30'
                1979 S/N FM 161

S/N resto underway https://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...to-587503.html

Remember:
                "Rust never sleeps !" --- Neil Young
                "There is never just one thing wrong with a boat" --- Travis McGee

Comment

Originally posted by Watermann View Post
                  The engine in a basket.
                  ahhh you meant literally in a basket! I was thinking you invented some clever, new slang for an I/O.
                  aka BlueFin16
                  1975 StarCraft SuperSport and 70Hp Evinrude Restoration Thread

Comment

Went out to start digging around in the boat but that all came to a screeching halt... I seem to have imported at least 10,000 yellow jackets. Their nests are in every nook and cranny the Chief has.

Nice to see there were 2 x 12 gallon aluminum fuel tanks that weren't pilfered by the hordes of metal thieves in my area. I sure hope the bees didn't infest the tanks too.

I got just the ticket x 3... fogger bombs...

Made a tent and set the bombs off underneath. Dang things smell horrible, like cheap aftershave.

I had the strange urge to go... muahahaha .... as I stood by hearing the hissing sound under the tarp...
                    Last edited by Watermann; July 9th, 2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I'm getting an image for a boat name. BTW - PETA is on the other line.

There are hives everywhere you look. You're loaded.
                      BOAT SPECS • FORUM HELP • STARCRAFT FORUM • SHOP iboats
                      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                      That is what the forums are for.
                      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Hey PETA can rescue the ones that are still moving their feet while on their backs, maybe some mouth to mouth. It was a good thing it was cool this morning and the bees hadn't started to fly around yet, gave me a chance to combat the swarms. Next problem is how to rid my trailers tubes of them.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look guys, I appreciate it. I have a feeling I'm going to be needing some big help on this one, especially from those in the know on Mercruisers since I haven't a clue really. Time to start studying up I guess and crack open the manual.

Comment

Awesome rig, Watermann! I'm psyched to watch you work on this one. Too bad about the wasps...they're everywhere, huh? Do you know what year the Chief is? It looks like my '74 but has the older (I think) logo plate. Good luck with the Merc.
                          1974 Starcraft Chieftain 18' outboard https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...tan-18-rebuild

Comment

Thanks Sig, yeah lots of bees, 1000's of them but I got the upper hand I think. The Chief is a 70 and after reading about mercruisers all afternoon my head is spinning and making think I may have bitten off a huge chunk. The restoration is going to take me some time on this one I have a feeling.
                            Last edited by Watermann; July 9th, 2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X