18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

boats in full use and catching stripers
floor is painted and holding up great.

ran out of money so I bought cheap non adjustable seat pedestals.
$15 for the pedestal+base, and $10 for the swivel. walmart, they're good for the price

seats
Amazon.com: Wise Deluxe High-Back Seat (Khaki/Cafe/Rock Salt): Sports & Outdoors

And finally, 3rd hole from the transom is the ideal motor position for this setup. Performance is much better and drier now.

The boat seems to turn a lot of heads, 18'plus tin boats are a specticle around here I guess.

2013-06-29_12-00-44_806_zps05983102.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looking good, CT. Hope the floor problems are behind you. :D

Now, about those stripers - I don't see any. :)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

without pics... it didn't happen :fish: :lol:

the teak steering wheel cap ties-in those comfy chairs! :thumb:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

New numbers!
Finally took a ride on a zero wind day. 2 adults 5000rpm / 32mph top speed:):):)

no bass photos yet...

classiccat

nice! They're some pretty good numbers! How's the hole shot? It looks like you have room to drop the prop pitch a bit.

regarding the fish, we'll accept photos of a filleted carcass however the Offshore should be in the background as proof. :spy: :lol:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't owned many other boats but the hole shot feels excellent to me

I may have already said this, but my old boat sat so low in the water the prop had to really dig itself out of a hole.
This one just zooms right along so nice.

I'd like to try another prop some day, but im out of boat funds at the moment and i really want to buy a nice gps combo unit

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I owe you guys some fish photos, I hope to get some fattys this month... I need at least one 40 pounder on board! This is me with a 37" striper earlier in the summer.

IMG951170_zps5f33ea43.jpg

IMG_6444_zps15f0e160.jpg

2013-08-02_21-05-23_922_zps82ef77d3.jpg

2013-07-04_16-49-00_640_zps35a1f5de.jpg

You may recall some checking on the floor. I had re-epoxied using 1 layer of cloth as suggested by bluefin, its still like new.

I also gave my old boat an offer it couldn't refuse, I'll post some photos of that soon

barato2

Commander

that sig line there looks ominous fer the ole glasser

PS nice bluefish!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

haha, the glasser sig has been updated, poor thing

classiccat

It's cool to see you getting such great use out of the rig already! +1 on the blue & that striper isn't too shabby either...15lbs is where the really start pullin' good!

The lab looks right at home on the bow deck! I have a feeling that's where my chug (<<< avatar) will be seated.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
I'm still alive!

I cant belive im going on the 3rd season with this boat already! boats still good. I will update with some pics soon. I have two lowrance gen 2 touch units with side imaging and some other upgrades to show. hoping to build a livewell this year

long live metal! ...boats

classiccat

Nice to see you back ct!! Striper are atarting to run up the Hudson in my kneck of the woods....now if I only had a boat....or a buddy with a boat :cool: :lol:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys! Im still floating around! Good to see everyones still active.

Proof the offshore v still operates like its 1969! Its year 4 for me, rustolium boat primer and paint is starting to chip a little, doesnt bother me yet.

-Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20160623_162153_01~01.jpg
    IMG_20160623_162153_01~01.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 1

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah Nick! That's a hog! Great to see you and the offshore doing what you do!

TPEvmxN.jpg

I feel like every day of boat fishing is a paid bonus in these cheap yet great old starcrafts. I'm still rocking my old 70hp too.

Andy

Last edited:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Whats up Andy! I popped in to your thread recently the cheiftan looks great all metal, i may have to go that route some day as my paint chipping continues, we'll see.

Nice tundra too, funny i had been thinking about getting a tundra lately, opened up your page and saw u just got one...maybe we will continue our bizaro world parallels! I do miss my jeep, i have a ford escape right now, it gives me no excitment :)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Nick, I really like the Tundra. The 1st gens are somewhere between a Taco and a 1/2 ton in size, cost less than a same vintage Taco, and can tow 5K without a WD hitch (7K with one). The 4.7 will go forever if you change the t-belt every 100K.

Look for one with a replaced frame if you want to buy one...it's essentially a new truck for under $10K. They're an underappreciated value.

Edit: no regrets taking the paint off my boat. I don't have much boat pride but a scratched backyard paint job wasn't doing it for me.

Last edited:

BMerr509

Petty Officer 2nd Class
CTSWF- I'm about to begin my Offshore restoration, same exact boat as yours believe it or not, 1969... my interior is in much better shape than yours was, due to the previous owner, but my exterior looks rough. I followed this thread and read every post to try to absorb as much as I could from it. Due to business travel, I can only do the paint job this year (unless I do some interior work this winter). I'm going to repower her in the spring as there is a 1980s mercury 65 hp 2-stroke on it now. Looking at a nice four stroke but they are expensive. anything you can help me with on the paint job would be awesome, I'm about to buy all my paint etc today. what primer did you use? I'm going to go with Duralux paint, black with a red stripe. How did you get it off your trailer? I have a tractor with a bucket that could get the job done but I wanted to see if you had any tricks.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input on the forum- and so you all know, many, many people read these without registering and your knowledge helps every one of those people.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
BMerr welcome to the iboatd forum, it would be great to see another Offshore rebuilt, you should start your own thread on it.