1980 22ft SS V5 rework

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As far as I can tell, for 1980 the big V5 SS was supposedly discontinued. However, based on HIN my hull is definitely from early 1980. Purchased and run as-was a couple of years ago. Had been partially gone over previously (the "easy part" of the dack had been replaced, probably at the time the boat was repowered with a 5.7 mercruiser and alpha 1 gen 2 (1996, also the vintage of the kicker).

The transom was bowing and definitely in need of replacement, so started that over the summer. Wanted to finally get a thread going here as this has been a great resource and who doesn't love big V5 photos? A few photos from when I first picked her up plus one from last spring. photo335112.jpgphoto335113.jpgphoto335114.jpgphoto335115.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
With a bulging transom, it's good to pass on a few weeks of prime boating to fix her now. The middle pic of you sitting there - Were you thinking about fixing or fishing? Maybe both. :smile:

She must scoot with the 5.7.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Sheesh...if my v8 pickup floated, didn't weigh almost 3 tons and had a prop! :lol:

Man that rig is an absolute beast!!! :madgrin:

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With a bulging transom, it's good to pass on a few weeks of prime boating to fix her now. The middle pic of you sitting there - Were you thinking about fixing or fishing? Maybe both. :smile:

She must scoot with the 5.7.
That's my father actually. I'm in the first pic but not really visible.

Used it last summer for some nice fishing.
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	267.3 KB ID:	10900058

Got the wiring stripped out and the rotten old flooring and foam (which was mostly dry, with a couple of exceptions from 1 leak and under the gas tank which was complete mulch.

Seeing the mulch that my fuel tank was sitting on was the scariest thing I've seen yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	10900059
Old transom is out
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	10900060
And the new one is in
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	10900062

Hope to be back in the water soon and keep updating here.

Attachments

• photo335126.jpg
    photo335126.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo335131.jpg
    photo335131.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the V5 club, the few the proud.. oh wait that's already taken :lol:

That was the original transom wood, amazing that the white wash they put on lasts as long as it does.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:welcome: to the V5 club, the few the proud.. oh wait that's already taken :lol:

That was the original transom wood, amazing that the white wash they put on lasts as long as it does.
It was mostly in sort of OK condition overall, but clearly needed to come out. Previous refit(s) had repowered to the 5.7 and addressed low-hanging fruit, but not in a comprehensive way. The deck was replaced from doghouse forward to the consoles, but the original decking was left in place (and thoroughly rotten on the starboard side) on either side of the doghouse, and from the consoles forward.

The wooden portion of the port console in particular was complete mulch, and the deck was VERY soft in the bow, with a band-aid overlay wood frame preventing break-through.
photo335289.jpgphoto335292.jpgphoto335293.jpg

There were also 1-2 extra (disconnected) switches for every 1 in use. This thing had been rewired in parallel again and again. Whenever a circuit went sketchy, it was just abandoned and rewired (with larger gauge wire and moving from the "old" fuse panel to the "new one".

It felt good to tear it all out, and the replacement is looking like it will be serious overkill (but not give any issues for a long, long time.)

Attachments

• photo335290.jpg
    photo335290.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo335291.jpg
    photo335291.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo335298.jpg
    photo335298.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 4

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
No nasty-grams left in my '75 tin... RUDY!!! :lol:

https-_cdn.evbuc_.com_images_49374081_244531792783_1_original.jpg

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm gonna repress/gloss over the process of dislodging frozen waterlogged foam in an uninsulated garage with maybe 10 ft high rafters (plus door rails, openers, etc protruding downward), in a boat that's on a trailer with the deck 4 ft up. the rafters can barely get you, but the garage-door track can REALLY get you.

AND needing to use that same garage to store pretty much everything coming out and going back in is a recipe for mess. So I moved outdoors when weather "allowed" in the spring, and immediately faced torrential downpours every project day (and somehow no working days...) also the only place with realistic engine-crane room.
photo335734.jpg

Instead I'll share a couple of the lovely oddities left by prior boat owners, skip over most of the hull drudgery, and get on with posting updates as stuff comes back together.

Swiss-cheese bow
photo335735.jpg

Non-regulation fuel system repairs.
photo335736.jpgphoto335737.jpg

The arrow says "this is the wrong way to do it"

Watermann

Oh man some people should not own a drill, especially if they own a boat! :eek:

On the fuel filler, like we talked about on FB, if you want to go back to the port filler, PM Budski about his boy welding one up for you from diamond plate.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh man some people should not own a drill, especially if they own a boat! :eek:

On the fuel filler, like we talked about on FB, if you want to go back to the port filler, PM Budski about his boy welding one up for you from diamond plate.

I'm just going to a deck filler since the hole's already there (they moved the filler, but left the vent below so it would overflow at every fill up...), and just filling the side hole.

SOME of the holes are sorta understandable - a lot of them were mounting for a searchlight that was bow-mounted (as the boat has some Coast Guard history).

At the other end of the spectrum, the 2 rows of snaps 3 inches apart? That just feels like someone screwed up their custom canvas and "solved" things by just drilling a bunch of holes and installing another row of snaps. (This is backed up by the boat coming with an "old" canvas" which fits one set of snaps, and a "new" canvas that fits the other row. Both canvases use the same snaps once you're aft of the bow cap).

And of course I had to continue the tradition (after filling in the existing holes, drilling new ones for trolling motor mount and a new nav light that's not obstructed by the TM (although it's a tight clearance and I probably should verify sightlines once I have power back up. I really should have gotten a couple of inches taller light.

Watermann

I used LED hull Nav lights so the TM wouldn't be an issue.

y4mV2476GXfzgDyJMmSsrMfK_knesZeCXXOtLT9KwAGLs02nOjDm5id4HigLhdxYeBIAkuakfT7Wv_T2dy0KWDPSpFPZAJATHt-7b3Qxhn-B-YcUzeBZG3JuFMXQXVxLSg4EoebWT0p2z-Ur74wMHwXZRho5DCBTC1zSPGo0Ik6BmgQmbQRM7U6Q2K-pvoD7GIrXg_3osAd28FbUiLUS12GXQ

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at those, but wanted to be extra safe/legal with USCG certified nav lights, especially since I run in coast-guard parrolled waters some.

Watermann

The only thing that would make the strips out of compliance would be if you didn't place them in the correct position and they weren't visible due to obstruction. There's the ABYC Standard for lights just like seat pedestals and USCG distance is like 2nm I believe, most LED are above that standard..

I used this to set mine correctly.

nav-light-mounting-guide.jpg

Watermann

There's a law on the books to use USCG certified lights
https://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33-2.0.1.8.44.13.html

I didn't want to chance it.

I considered certified recessed sidelights byt just went with a bow plug-in type.

Yeah you'd be fine by that - [h=5]§ 183.801 Applicability.[/h] This subpart applies to recreational vessel manufacturers, distributors, and dealers installing such equipment in new recreational vessels constructed after November 1, 2002.

Watermann

That's some tidy work there and I like all those labeled switches. :thumb:

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's some tidy work there and I like all those labeled switches. :thumb:

Backlit too. Hopefully get them all wired up over the next few days.

Got my 3x group31 trolling motor batteries + 4-bank charger situated belowdecks in the bow. Just need to sand the center hatch to fit and nautolex over it.
photo336579.jpgphoto336580.jpg