88’ SS180 by BigNuge

BigNuge

Seaman
Hey everybody! So, I finally got the boat home. Seeing as I officially own it, I figured I would start a thread in the proper section.

She’s a 1988 SS180 w/Johnson 88 pushing her along.

Floors are solid, interior is in nice shape, carpet is decent.

Some picutres of it after pulling it in for drying out and cleanup.

Attachments

• photo305189.jpg
    photo305189.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305190.jpg
    photo305190.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305191.jpg
    photo305191.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305192.jpg
    photo305192.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 3

BigNuge

Seaman
On the to-do list this winter...

1: Steering (cable seems to be frozen).
2: Clean up electrical (past owners hacked things up a bit, but very fixable).
3: Starter (Starter is bad on OB, I did spin the motor by hand before I bought it).
4: OB tune up/water pump/gear oil.
5: New prop (existing is in tough shape). Thinking of going 4 blade aluminum...not sure yet.
6: New bilge pump (piece of mind, I'm told existing still works).

I will try and keep this thread updated with news and progress.

Thanks for following along!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Always good to have a new-to-you toy. Congrats. Thanks for the pics.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats! Looks like a nice boat. What kind of bilge pump are you going with? I need to install one myself. After you get all the broken stuff fixed do you have any other plans for it?

BigNuge

Seaman
Congrats! Looks like a nice boat. What kind of bilge pump are you going with? I need to install one myself. After you get all the broken stuff fixed do you have any other plans for it?

Probably going with the Rule automatic pump. I will be adding the SPDT switch so I can disable it completely when its not in the water.

After the broken stuff is fixed....run it for a while. We will see what I break over the first summer, then make a plan form there!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada!

I really like the hull upgrades of the late 80's SC boats, not near as much in the way of repairs needed and they look great.

I would suggest the new Sea Star NFB rotary helms and for the bilge pump the all in one types are not the best choice, rather the remote float switch is bullet proof as it won't be as likely to get jammed up with flotsam. This is how I set mine up and with 8" spin out deck plate above in the splashwell.

y4mCkfO-ufnAZ1STATCFzWfmfvt-RqYT8gai40svBcnJjoqeECLy20SZxNFaeat868aMjLPnhdChPtIgchp7m2LWEoil-HnxwkKYBcSw_E3WmU_1s9vtFYzyIUrpc0RrKlaBhj9OD0pSCuO6MZTxAu88XQFfGMegtmq-J4EGhj-XUdEariEjNAom-Rtd8_WZ6p53GRi7lf7d429m-dZ1uIiDg

BigNuge

Seaman
Welcome to the Starmada!

I really like the hull upgrades of the late 80's SC boats, not near as much in the way of repairs needed and they look great.

I would suggest the new Sea Star NFB rotary helms and for the bilge pump the all in one types are not the best choice, rather the remote float switch is bullet proof as it won't be as likely to get jammed up with flotsam. This is how I set mine up and with 8" spin out deck plate above in the splashwell.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/5fybng.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4mCkfO-ufnAZ1STATCFzWfmfvt-RqYT8gai40svBcnJjoqeECLy20SZxNFaeat868aMjLPnhdChPtIgchp7m2LWEoil-HnxwkKYBcSw_E3WmU_1s9vtFYzyIUrpc0RrKlaBhj9OD0pSCuO6MZTxAu88XQFfGMegtmq-J4EGhj-XUdEariEjNAom-Rtd8_WZ6p53GRi7lf7d429m-dZ1uIiDg?width=1024&height=577&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the very system for the steering! As far as the bilge, I was sort of on the opposite side of that opinion. I would think that the mechanical float could more readily be fouled with garbage in the bilge. In any event, I'm open to discussing all the options!

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
That looks like a nice setup Watermann. What's that white part to the left of the pump in the pic?

Watermann

That looks like a nice setup Watermann. What's that white part to the left of the pump in the pic?

Livewell aerator pump.

Nuge,

I've read many threads about the built in floats jamming up and not functioning from crud getting in and building up. It's more like a toilet bowl float on a shaft. The separate float switch will float up no matter as it's not caged and the hinges are more robust.

BigNuge

Seaman
Watermann, I was looking at the Rule pump that has no float. It basically “checks” for water every 2 1/2 minutes by slowly turning the pump and measuring shaft load. If it senses shaft load it runs at full speed until the water is gone. No moving parts except the pump itself. Lots of good reviews on it, I was thinking of giving it a try. I would have it on a SPTD switch at the helm so I can disable it complete if needed, as well as run it manually if needed. This will be a trailered rig, so overnights on the water will be infrequent and rare. Mostly a day boat, with a few island camping trips/overnights mixed in.

I still might go your way though....I haven’t done anything with it yet.

Watermann

Yeah you always want a bypass on switch if for no other reason than to test the pump prior to each outing. To be honest the least used item on my boats is the bilge pump.

BigNuge

Seaman
Yeah you always want a bypass on switch if for no other reason than to test the pump prior to each outing. To be honest the least used item on my boats is the bilge pump.

That's a good thing though!!

Just clicked "purchase" on that NFB rotary setup. Next step, get the trailer finished up (parts still coming in), then get the boat onto the new trailer. I'm going to sell the one it came on, after I snag the brand new fold away tongue jack.

BigNuge

Seaman
Well, I got started tonight. The damn floor was STILL WET!! I had to lay cardboard down to keep from getting wet, but I was able to start cutting away all the rat nest mess that was added to the boat over the years.

One curious thing though. While pulling the battery and beginning the cleanup I got a good look at the transom. The good news is that it is solid as a rock, not a soft spot to be found. However, I did not see a knee brace! It looks like Startcraft used two brackets that secure to the stringers. No knee brace though.

Pictures....excuse the mess, there was a lot of crap in the bilge back there.

Attachments

• photo305289.jpg
    photo305289.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo305290.jpg
    photo305290.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo305291.jpg
    photo305291.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 2

BigNuge

Seaman
As far as the electrical goes, it looks like past owners simply added wiring instead of fixing issues. The "OEM" wiring was all still in place, it just seems to have been disconnected. I am going to do some digging, see if I can get some sort of as-built schematic for the boat. Hoping to pre-make a new harness and pull all new wiring.

Anybody with this vintage SS w/88 Johnson, could you let me know if the tach is supposed to light up/turn on as soon as the key is turned on? The tach does nothing at this point, but I am not sure if it just stays off until the motor fires.

The electrical carnage...

Attachments

• photo305292.jpg
    photo305292.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305293.jpg
    photo305293.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305294.jpg
    photo305294.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305295.jpg
    photo305295.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 0

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow that's a heck of a rat's nest you got there. What is all that wiring for? I see a speaker, does it have a sound system that needs all the wires? You may want to ask your motor question on the Johnson forum.

BigNuge

Seaman
Lol, it’s a hell of a mess, that’s for sure! No stereo, no VHF radio, inop sounder. I have already torn it al out. Boat is back to basics, only the OEM harness remains now. I’m planning on pulling a new harness altogether, but adding a proper fuse panel under the console, with a new switch bank on the dash. Probably going to relocate the fuel gauge to the left of the wheel, install a large switch bank on the right, as well as 2 battery gauges (house and crank).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Lol, it’s a hell of a mess, that’s for sure! No stereo, no VHF radio, inop sounder. I have already torn it al out. Boat is back to basics, only the OEM harness remains now. I’m planning on pulling a new harness altogether, but adding a proper fuse panel under the console, with a new switch bank on the dash. Probably going to relocate the fuel gauge to the left of the wheel, install a large switch bank on the right, as well as 2 battery gauges (house and crank).

With all the boats I have rebuilt over the years, I figured out, never put yourself through the frustration of trying to figure out what another had in their mind when doing wiring, just rip it out and start over!

:eek:

BigNuge

Seaman
With all the boats I have rebuilt over the years, I figured out, never put yourself through the frustration of trying to figure out what another had in their mind when doing wiring, just rip it out and start over!

:eek:

Agreed sir!!

I will be pulling all new wiring aside from the motor control, which is all still OEM.

Watermann

The wiring harness from the motor to the controls should be separate from the under dash mess. There could be a dash harness too with a plug from the controls that has 12v switched power, ground and tach at a min. The tach needle should jump and settle when powered on if connected.

On the knee braces, many of the successful V5 features were carried on in the later model boats as well.

y4mVGe9JS5MArvNmnutu1Nb3dsTKQe4iFVzsAC9c6arEzZkK0ZB3C80WCWTtTXaAzZrXuXPPDHsK_XEv1R9hgzaAk8fAIt1RyAVtzxLEwmhqRsR_1Q_uiGCX0IWP6KPSi6QY4Tisx03uK_wkcXn5GuO42C9fUf7RnDT4tsNFDQOXO20kuoX01Foh67D2kqH-qvpodqq4rg1FCkZOR0VQ3oRRg