New member looking at a SS180

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigNuge

Seaman
Howdy folks. New guy here, name is Jim. I didn’t find an “introduce yourself” section, so I thought I’d open a thread for comment on a boat I’m looking at.

I am not new to boating, I owned a ‘94 Stingray 586zp (19’) some years back. There hasn’t been a summer since selling that boat that I haven’t missed it. That said, I have come across a Starcraft SS180 for sale near me that just might become mine this weekend. I have done a bunch of reading on the SS, all in an attempt to educate myself on what to look for. I see that the floors getting soft just forward of the splash shield is common. I also know the fuel tanks notoriously developed leaks (as is the case on this one, it’s being run on an external tank at this time).

anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all!

thanks for reading!

Last edited:

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome! Got any pics of the SS?

I asked a similar question a couple months ago, thread linked below. Based on the advice in that thread and other research, here's a list of common issues or things to check:

Rotten floor
Rotten transom
Loose/missing/leaking rivets
Pitting/corrosion
Engine compression
Upholstery/canvas condition
Waterlogged foam under floor
Hull cracks near ends of ribs

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...craft-ss-16-vs-18-common-issues-where-to-find

BigNuge

Seaman
Welcome! Got any pics of the SS?

I asked a similar question a couple months ago, thread linked below. Based on the advice in that thread and other research, here's a list of common issues or things to check:

Rotten floor
Rotten transom
Loose/missing/leaking rivets
Pitting/corrosion
Engine compression
Upholstery/canvas condition
Waterlogged foam under floor
Hull cracks near ends of ribs

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...-where-to-find

Hello!

I have a couple that the seller sent me....let me try and attach them.

Attachments

• photo305055.jpg
    photo305055.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305056.jpg
    photo305056.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo305057.jpg
    photo305057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The trailer looks 2 sizes too small for that boat in the picture. I'll bet it is a chore to tow. I also see wires hanging everywhere under the port & starboard consoles. I'd look that one over real close because it doesn't look like it has been taken care of very well. I suspect it is somewhat of a project boat.

BigNuge

Seaman
Hi guys! Yeah, I picked up on that trailer size. I am using that as leverage for the deal. I also saw all the wires, and that toggle switch just hanging there forward of the controls.

I already have a very nice galvy roller trailer that is perfectly sized for this boat.

I figure that if it runs decent, and the floors aren’t caving in, I’m good with it. I always knew I’d be getting into some level of “project boat”, and I’m looking forward to it!

If it needs total rehab, at least I’ll be picking it up now. It gives me the whole winter to get it rehabbed and ready for the water!

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
It doesn't look too bad to me other than the trailer issue, but it sounds like you've already got that figured out. Just make sure that the hull isn't damaged from all that weight hanging unsupported off the back of the trailer, it's probably causing a lot of stress in the area furthest rearward where it is being supported. I agree that the wires hanging down could be interpreted as a sign that the boat wasn't taken care of as well as it could've been, but I think that's pretty common on an older boat. If you have time for a project boat just make sure the price matches the condition. Good luck and let us know how it goes this weekend.

BigNuge

Seaman
Thanks for the reply’s guys!

So, a little development with this boat. I had asked for a quick video of the motor being started and running (didn’t want to drive 1 1/2 hours only to find out it doesn’t run). Lo and behold, he says that he was getting it fired up for the video and the starter sprocket broke. He reaffirmed that the motor has been a very reliable rig.

So here’s my question to all of you. What is a fair price on this boat given what I’ve told/shown on this thread?

I knew this would be a project boat, already have a perfect trailer for it (proper size and in great shape). I have a nice heated shop, and I’m ready to jump into this project. Buuuut, I’m not looking to pay too much for this thing seeing as now I cannot hear it run. Honestly, I believe the guy regarding the motor. I’ve sold many things that ran great up until I go to sell it, only for something to break....it happens. Having said that, I still want to be on the winning side of this deal.

So....what do you think? My gut is saying $500-$600

Thoughts??

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd say if you can get it for that it would be a home run, the hull alone is worth more than that from what I've seen in my area. Go with whatever price you feel comfortable with assuming that you'll have to replace the motor.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'd think if you can get the rig for $500-$600 you might be good. As long as the transom is solid and there's no gaping holes in the hull you will always have at least the boat that you can refurbish. You can probably get some cash out of the existing trailer.
When/if you go to look at/buy the boat take the engine cover off and try to turn over the engine by hand just to verify it's not seized. If it is seized be prepared to make the drive back empty handed.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would say $500, this time of year, unknown condition of the engine, sprockets don't just break, either something is out of alignment or the engine is froze. Before I drove to see it, I would want some pictures of the power head without the cover on t and pictures of the parts that broke. Powerheads are not hard to rebuild, but it takes money, time and the right tools.

You have the upper hand right now because of the season and like I said, not running, it may very well be something simple to fix, but I always approach on the side of caution.

BigNuge

Seaman
So I got another response from the seller, with pictures. It turns out the starter sprocket is bad. It looks like the starter has been having issues, you can see it’s been hit several times in the past (probably to get the starter gear to engage).

I’m comfortable with the repair, so I’m going to make the trip up.

I’ll update everybody on Sunday!

BigNuge

Seaman
Oh, I meant to post a few pics of the power head.

Attachments

• photo305089.jpg
    photo305089.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305090.jpg
    photo305090.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305091.jpg
    photo305091.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305092.jpg
    photo305092.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305093.jpg
    photo305093.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 0

TyeeMan

Yeah the power head looks pretty good. Don't bother fixing the starter when it first acted up, just beat the you know what out of it to make it work. Sheesh.

Depending on how you look at it, the good thing about that motor is it never had the VRO fuel/oil pump that were known to go bad. Hopefully the owner knows how to mix gas and oil.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well the starter is bad, just need to pick up a new one, not a big deal, make sure and turn it over by hand, NOT hooked up to the battery and take the key out of the ignition before you do that, the power head looks good and clean, double check the transom and floor, if soft anywhere then negotiate, they are not really that difficult to replace if needed, but always look for those points you can negotiate on.

Good luck, it looks like a decent one that has a lot of life to live.

BigNuge

Seaman
Yeah the power head looks pretty good. Don't bother fixing the starter when it first acted up, just beat the you know what out of it to make it work. Sheesh.

Depending on how you look at it, the good thing about that motor is it never had the VRO fuel/oil pump that were known to go bad. Hopefully the owner knows how to mix gas and oil.

OK, that answers one of my questions. I was wondering if this was oil injected or pre-mixed.

That's a big can of mixed fuel!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
OK, that answers one of my questions. I was wondering if this was oil injected or pre-mixed.

That's a big can of mixed fuel!

Pre-mix and that is what you want to do, the injection systems were prone to failure and then engines went south.

TyeeMan

The motor is an 88 h.p. and on the back of the engine hood you'll see SPL which stood for special, pretty sure anyway. Back in the day OMC offered the 88 SPL (there might have been a couple other SPL hp offerings too) as a little cheaper, non-oil injected motor. Cheaper cost not cheaper made.

BigNuge

Seaman
Thanks for the info! I was always leery of oil injected 2 strokes. Though, I’ve owned snowmobiles with it and never had an issue.

I’m hoping the 88HP moves the boat well. I don’t yet know what max power rating is for the boat, but I think 88HP would be a nice mid-point for the power this boat needs.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know the max hp rating on the earlier super sports was 140, but the 88hp should move that light boat around fine. It depends on your needs but I can tell you that my 90hp 4-stroke gets my 21' Holiday up to about 35mph with me and my wife in it. The 18' SS is at least 500lb lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.