Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watermann,

Its a little cold outside today to get any work done but I know the side panels are there and I'm almost positive they have been replaced. I can take a closer look at them but honestly this boat appears to be in pretty good shape. I think someone started a reno and gave up. The owner I bought it from only had it 3 months and it was parked in his pole barn the entire time. He sold it for money to fix a car. The topsides and splashwell consoles all were repainted. They plywood is only held in with gravity and I move it freely as I need to. I know it doesn't guarantee anything but I'll be sure to check them over before I go run a muck.

The rigging and wiring may take me all month at this rate. I'm going to do it right with a nice fuse block, wiring, heat shrink and something like this...

Weather next week is supposed to be good so I'll see what time I can get. As 1st priority I need to clean out the SeaRay and find a new home, even if it is at a salvage yard. Last week I did rip out a few pole holders, Perko switch, fire extinguisher and oar. Next is Gas Tank and hoses and kicker bracket. Nothing is coming easy on this old SeaRay.
    18' 1980 Starcraft Supersport SS 140hp v4 Johnson
    1980 SS Restore Thread - splashed

Comment

Alright guys kinda good progress on my projects today. Removed the 27 Gal Moeller and lines from the Sea Ray. Also removed the kicker bracket. It must have been held on there by magic. I had to get out the Sawzall lol the one bolt would not budge. I just cut through it. Here is a pic of my gas tank out. I was feeling pretty accomplished because it was a blitz job. Guy called today and wanted to take the Sea Ray. I said ok, lemme get to it.

So, Sea Ray is gone now. All I have is the few parts I salvaged from it.

Thinking about building a basic carpeted bench in the back to cover fuel cell until I can rip up the floors for the total restore.

Comment

That's a pretty tall tank, don't think it will fit under any deck unless you make another raised casting deck to cover it.
        1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
        1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

Yep right on watermann I like the way you think

Comment

Did some more work today. I might do a little more tonight in a little while. Not too cold out today. 11 degrees warmer than yesterday. I got the old controls ripped out. Tore into the bilge. The bilge pump is dead. have to replace that before any kind of outing. probably get one with auto switch so its all integrated. gonna remove the panels in the back that are under the splashwell. They just take up space. I know I have read other guys did it. I did it in the 16ss. It just makes sense while I'm back there rigging cables and messing with the bilge. took a few pics earlier but all you see is lots of wires and control laying on the ground.

Might attempt at rigging up the motor wiring and control cables. I want to get them routed and attached. If I can accomplish that tonight I'll be pleased. I will tidy up then later. I see a ground on the one trim relay that needs replaced, connector is snapped off. Idk if this is why they wired a separate switch or not? That's gonna be a little mess but we like challenges right?

Comment

So my list from post # 15:

SC needs a lot of small stuff here is a list of what I know I'm going to need:

Battery DONE
              Fuel Line - DONE
              Short Fuel hose to connect OEM 12 Gal Tank from filler neck < DONE - THANKS SEA RAT FOR THE 27 GAL MOELLER AND SENDING UNIT
              Control Cable - rusted and frayed right before the motor connection < DONE - GOT DIFFERENT ENGINE WITH CONTROLS
              Steering cable - probably. hooked up steering and it is REALLY stiff - any quick cures on this to save a guy $100? < NEEDS HOOKED UP. EVINRUDE TILT TUBE WAS THE PROBLEM. CABLE IS FREE AND SMOOTH JUST NEEDS CONNECTED
              Bilge hose - frail and broken < REPLACED TODAY BUT NOW NEED NEW BILGE PUMP

New List -2/14/17

Install Yamaha Controls and wiring
              Install Fuel Cell and lines to boat and then to motor <16ss had portable tanks, looking forward to not lugging tanks
              Fire up motor on my boat
              Figure out trim switches
              Connect Steering
              Wire / test basic elements - gauges - can use current hardware under dash - will be replaced already picked the parts
              replace bilge pump
              Last edited by nrf414; February 14th, 2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: added new list

Comment

Got old Controls out and untangled the mess of the wires that were given to me with the Yamaha. Got them all sorted and ready to plug in. Auto bilge came in today with fuse block. Came without fuses haha. 40 dollar part and they can't include 2 dollars worth of fuses. Too cold right now to do much. Might play with it a little later. Should be able to hook up wires and fire up the yammy on a test tank. Here's a pic of the controls sorted out.

I really gotta move some project scrap to refund new parts of the Starcraft project. It's tax season so I imagine I should be able to liquidate a tilt and trim from the evinrude pretty easily. And it would make life easier if the workshop was a little cleaner.

Need switch panel or I can reuse 3 way for lights and bilge like my old 16 had on it for a little while. Biggest moral of the story is not enough hours in the day or money in the bank haha.

Comment

Yeah 2 bucks, just wait until you go to the store and buy an assorted kit of of those fuses.

Comment

Fuses are a racket. 8 bucks online for assorted box of em. Oh well cheaper than a boat fire lol

Got the yammy running last night, ran the wires and control cables. I gotta get new bolts for the remote to mount it properly. I gotta get a new starter nut too. Dropped down in the pan and it ran up in a tight spot the magnet couldn't even get it. Sorry no pics guys.

Soon gonna have the Starcraft on the other trailer aND start heading down the homeward stretch to first splash. Feels like forever. Barely over a month and I have already repowered. Trick is getting time I have 4 two legged responsibilities and 2 four-legged responsibilities that come first.

Comment

Originally posted by nrf414 View Post
                      Here's a pic of the controls sorted out.

Did someone promise pics? You know the mob loves pics.!

Comment

Sorry guys I was slacking on my pic posting lol
                        Here they are before I installed them. I'll get pics tonight of all the terminations and steering hooked up. Gotta mount controls at the helm still. Im not sure if I saved all the hardware from other mount or not. If so I'll mount up tonight and lost a pic.
                        Last edited by nrf414; February 18th, 2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Alright guys doesn't look like much but i put in the work tonight. Mounted control, fixed ignition switch, key was operating choke and choke was starting engine. Oh my. And after that I troubleshoot the rear trim switch. Had bad ground on the relay. I rewired and cha ching. All good. Next I'll figure out the switch in the controls.

Comment

Got that one knocked off the list. Hey we know what kind of work goes into even the smallest of tasks on these boats, controls are a pretty important part. Does your controls have a kill switch installed on it?

Comment

I made a post but my phone is acting strange. Mobile Chrome and iboats not getting along so here's what I was trying to say:

New List -3.0

-Install Fuel Cell and lines to boat and then to motor <16ss had portable tanks, looking forward to not lugging tanks

-Figure out trim switch @ remote control

-Wire / test basic elements - gauges - can use current hardware under dash - will be replaced already picked the parts
                              - played with these last night. I'm about to strip all wires and start fresh to avoid hassle of troubleshooting. I got 12v to my terminal block but then lost it. too many wires. I'll take pics later to show you guys the struggle is real

-replace bilge pump < got part, need to install

-put Starcraft on SeaRay trailer < doing this tonight after work
                              Last edited by nrf414; February 19th, 2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermann View Post
                                Got that one knocked off the list. Hey we know what kind of work goes into even the smallest of tasks on these boats, controls are a pretty important part. Does your controls have a kill switch installed on it?

Thanks Watermann. I bought the service manual because its my first Yamaha and after seeing the "Frankenstein" wiring inside the cowl I knew I would be wasting a lot of time without it. I always like to have one just cause also.

Yeah it's my first set of controls that is new enough to have one . I'm going to test it as well to make sure it works before I go out. I'm gonna swap it over to the SeaRay trailer tonight and may fire it up while its in the water but I don't anticipate actually driving it other than onto the other trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X