Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
My machine screws had stainless keps lock nuts to tie the gunnels and bow support together. They have the washer with the teeth that grab the softer aluminum. I made sure to keep those little angle pieces to reattach the new stuff back together as well.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
My machine screws had stainless keps lock nuts to tie the gunnels and bow support together. They have the washer with the teeth that grab the softer aluminum. I made sure to keep those little angle pieces to reattach the new stuff back together as well.

Yep absolutely. I kept them also. Mine just didn't have any nuts holding rub rail trim on. Any reason why I couldn't just rivet all of this back together and forgo the SS screws and nuts? Going tonight to get PVC trim board to make bow support piece and then cut and seal 3/4 plywood for cap support. Made shopping list hitting up the big box DIY store after work.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Absolutely. I threw in a few of the machine screws too, just as added insurance in the event the rivets loosened up.

Attachments

• photo286091.jpg
    photo286091.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286092.jpg
    photo286092.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286093.jpg
    photo286093.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The solid riveted on bracket underneath the rubrail is too narrow for large flange blind rivet heads so I just ground them down to fit in the channel as did MN in his pic. If you look at it, the rubrail does really nothing more than hold that vinyl insert and cover up the rows of blinds for the gunnels, The heavy U bracket under it that's riveted to the hull does all the heavy lifting so to speak, even the gunnels are riveted to that bracket. I think the reach needed is close to around 1" though and that's why I used the LF blinds.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Ok good to know guys. What I was thinking tho was about the angle brackets to the support structures too. Rivets gone wild in the bow. I might put back the SS screws in the rub rail after cleaning up and supplement with rivets with the couple that I had to drill out. I think I have a good plan now. Thanks for the advice. Hope to update with some pics tonight.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Ok got trim board installed and wood support cut and sparred just need another coat of spar and remaining rivets to arrive. Should be here tomorrow. Fit like a glove easy to work with even for me :laugh:.

20180309_222504.jpg

20180309_232606.jpg

20180309_232659.jpg

Watermann

That should do better for support than the boards and allow for TM mounting. :thumb:

You know, just to make you think, I made my 3/4" bow deck support ply full sized to the sides and added solid riveted on brackets on the sides of the hull for edge support. :joyous:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann I still have some 3/4" big enough :D🤔

thanks guys for checking out my work. Also 2 more observations. Cheap electric paint sprayer I changed nozzle size and while coverage is more narrow , the over spray is greatly minimized. This is extremely helpful when spraying insides.

Also, if you care to replace the spiral nails that come out of you transom cap, I found them at Lowes in the flooring section when looking for a notched trowel.

Salvaged ski locker arrived today. I was on the fence about it but decided it would be a good idea so I'll cut that out and get ready for install after Kiwi on deck.

Stuck at work right now but when I get home I'm going to button up the bow area and be on course to finish up my gray interior pieces and topsides by Monday. Once they're painted I'll do the floor last so I'm not banging fresh paint.

From what I read Kiwi should have a week to cure :subdued: haha. Doesn't mean I cant work on something. My transcm caps are also in the mail and should be here this week. I will finalize windshield after Kiwi cures and then it will be rigging and electrical and then SPLASH!!!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
A few updates. Topsides and insides painted. Glassing floor seams in a little while. Prepping for Kiwi.

20180312_004728.jpg

20180312_115107.jpg

20180312_115119.jpg

Watermann

Nice to see the blue go on that shade really stands out nicely.

Hey did you paint the inside over that old glue? :confused:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Nice to see the blue go on that shade really stands out nicely.

Hey did you paint the inside over that old glue? :confused:

Yeah I sanded it probably coulda been more aggressive with sanding and switched plans around a few times. I'm not crazy about it but it will do for now. Might line it with vinyl later. Overall after tape came off I'm relatively pleased. I gotta keep this thing moving if I want to fish again soon.

20180312_205505.jpg

Watermann

Boy that stuff sure does look like it has some grip alright, wow! I really like that type of deck coating and the light color looks clean and cool, well clean for now :lol:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Boy that stuff sure does look like it has some grip alright, wow! I really like that type of deck coating and the light color looks clean and cool, well clean for now :lol:

Haha it won't take long I'm sure. First fish blood, spilled snack, mud from bank. Shopping wash down pumps :lol: this is life....

Watermann

I'm not much on deluging my boat with dirty river water so all the crud hangs up in the bilge. I swab my deck using a mop wash mitt and a bucket of soap and water. Takes less time to do than washing your car. After so many man hours building a boat from scratch basically I really enjoy cleaning and taking care of it now.

IMG_4960.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Good point Rob. That's probably what I'll end up doing hand scrubbing with CLEAN water. As soon as you said it i thought about the scumline that forms when I boat the river.... don't want that on my deck.