1968 Slickcraft SS170

eea123

Recruit
My wife is the new owner of a 1968 Slickcraft SS170. This is our first boat and to be honest, I was not very excited about it. She saw it advertised in our local lake paper's classified ads. She and my son came home with the following pictures.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182643

The previous owner placed it in the water and we test drove it. I must admit, it has nice lines when in the water and there seems to be some real enthusiasm over the early Slickcraft brand.

I've spent two solid afternoon's starting to clean it up. Never ending. I started on the scum line on the hull. The local marina supply house recommended StarBright boat bottom cleaner. Wow, acid strong stuff. I'm probably 1/3 to 1/2 done with a single 32oz bottle. They said I?d probably need two bottles, but I thought I try one out first.

I?ve always heard not to buy a car without washing & waxing it first. Same goes for boats. I?m sure to have many questions in the near future. The family is pushing to get on the water yet this season.

Two projects for certain are (1) the replacement of the vinyl flooring. The seam is split and is pulling away the sides. Looks like a similar color carpet may be the best route. The other is the fueling system. (2) Looks like someone swapped in a new plastic tank and didn?t opt?d for the filling system. The plastic tank has a 2? NPT cap. The old flush mount fill cap is still there with a hose to no where. It is a few feet too short and somehow I?d need to convert the threaded fitting molded into the tank to a band clamp 1-1/2? fuel line. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.