New Raven owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry71100

Recruit
Hello everyone......anyone. This corner of the forum looks empty. I recently aquired a 1990 Raven 195CC with a 3.0 Mercruiser. Does anybody have any info or advise on this boat? Hope to hear from some other Raven owners.

Larry

Attachments

• boat 013a.jpg
    boat 013a.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3

Stroker Ace

Recruit
Re: New Raven owner.

I can tell you that they where made in Martinsville, VA and the company is no longer in business. I believe they closed down around 1991. They are some very well made boats and you should not have any problems. I had a buddy of mine that worked there and has told me some of the high tolerances they had in the building process.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm AMAZED!! I've been trolling around iBoats for almost a year looking for info on Ravens!

I acquired a 195cc myself last July and am in the process of doing a complete restore on her, which I will chronicle on a website just as some other iBoaters have done.

Yours and mine look IDENTICAL, with the exception of the blue and white. I've also got a 2.3L Volvo AQ131-D with a 275 outdrive.

Here's mine in mid-restore:

DSC00848.jpg

nmaggie

Recruit

Mine is a 1991, and looks identical to rucradio's boat. I also have the 3.0 Mercruiser engine (only about 250 hours), and she has treated me well, as she has always gotten me home from wherever we wander. I keep her docked in Oneida Lake, NY all summer, and wander the Erie Canal system with her, up to the St Lawrence Seaway. I'd like to take her on a journey through the Great Lakes when I retire in a year or so.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NMaggie you should post some pics.. We Raven owners have to stick together! lol

blaska23

Recruit

I too have a raven. But i have a 89 open bow with the 3.7 liter 165 horse 4 cyl. I like my boat too just have a little trouble with carb. Other than that its been a great boat.

Attachments

• l_5a82a97eb0f14f11be297e7b1942e744.jpg
    l_5a82a97eb0f14f11be297e7b1942e744.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be honest, after doing a restore (deck/transom/stringers) and reading up on other manufacturers on iBoats, I believe Raven boats to be pretty well built. I just wish there was more of an "official" history of these things available online.

Larry71100

Recruit

I can say the one I had was pretty solid for being almost 20 years old. I traded it for a smaller 1993 Rinker Captiva 170 open bow with a 90 HP Force outboard about a month ago. I really liked the way the Raven felt on the water but found the smaller open bow fits better with my family.

Boating004-1.jpg

Boating005-1.jpg

090623_154408.jpg

88countach

Recruit

I have an 88 Raven Countach 2150 Cuddy. It has a Mercruiser Magnum 270hp V8. This is my second season with it and it is a fun fast boat. I have seen a Raven 195cc out on the river a couple times. There are not a lot of Ravens out there.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

Hello everyone......anyone. This corner of the forum looks empty. I recently aquired a 1990 Raven 195CC with a 3.0 Mercruiser. Does anybody have any info or advise on this boat? Hope to hear from some other Raven owners.

I have an '88 195cc, blue stripes. My outdrive just blew up on me and I'm in the process of putting in a new outdrive on her. Only had her on Oneida Lake in NY for about 2 hours before needing a tow back by a local Fire Dept. Not sure what happened, but it's my own stupid fault for not taking the boat in to get looked over for any potential issues. I am thinking that the lube chambers in the outdrive were dry and I didn't check the level before taking it out.

Anyway, of all the ones I have seen online, I have only seen 1 Raven with a original cover (or at least a newly made cover). I actually have the original cover that is ripped to shreds but figure I could take it to a custom cover shop and they can use it as a pattern. The tarp that I currently tie/bungee to it simply is a tremendous pain to put on!

REEL JUNKY

Recruit

i also have a 195cc with a 3.0 merc. runs great but needs interior resto, the deck is spongy in some spots.

jmilchling

Recruit
New Raven Owner

New Raven Owner

Hello!

I just bought a 2250 raven cuddy 1990 blue/white in great overall condition off of the original owner..Its great to see people that have these boats, there isnt much info on them. I found out that mine was bought from Benny's Boats in VA Beach. Im in NJ now.

It has the 3.7lx w/ alpha one and runs great and is really good on gas...:)

so far Ive had it off the beach twice since august and am planning on getting out dec. 26 for striper trip.

I will try and post some pics...would appreciate it if everyone else could to, love to see pics of the raven out on the water

-Joe

Harroll

Recruit

My son talked me into selling him my Aqua Sport and in the deal he gave me his Raven Admiral 195cc that he bought at an auction awhile back. I had never heard of the Raven before and So I looked up the haul ID on the coast guard list and found out about the company and where they are located.I have had the boat for about a month and working in the cold weather have replaced the manifold, rebuilt the carb, got radio and fish finder working, built a new motor box, repaired the running light, etc .etc. etc.. The bunks in the cuddy cabin need recovering, that comes later. The haul seems to be in good condition. All this boat needs is some TLC and more work. The hatch is leaking so that is on the list also. In between the repair work I completed the Va. safe Boating course. I didn't have to that until 2016 but at my age, 75, I thought it may be a good idea. I plane to do a lot more boating and hope to have a good safe one to do it in. Good luck every body. Hal, Va. Beach, Va.

Harroll

Recruit

Like you Larry I am still trying to fine out some things about the Raven boat also. My boat has the merc cruiser 140 engine that runs great, I don't have any idea how much the raven gas tank holds so maybe some one can give me that info. Today I was using the high speed buffer to compound the haul and I made the mistake of getting to close to the fish finder cable , you guess it, now I need a new transducer and cable, 71 dollars. Lesson learned, stay away form any thing that will rap around the buffer wheel. Good luck every body.

obxhawk

Cadet

It's great to find this forum for Raven owners. A friend of mine gave me his 1989 2100CC because he has become ill and no longer able to use it. It has the Mercruiser 3.0 and Alpha1 drive. Engine cranks on 1st try every time. I have started cleaning some of the oxidation from the hull and will soon start replacing the deck. My friend says it has been a great boat for him. He frequently took it out 10 miles or more off the coast of Virginia Beach. I have not had it in the water yet but hope to have it ready by April.

Harroll

Recruit

I have been working on the 1990 Raven now for two and a half months and have got a lot done. The bunks in the cabin have been recovered, all the cleats replaced, installed new hand rails, new manifold, rebuilt carburetor, new steering, new running lights, new engine cover, new rear seats, replaced rotten wood and am in the process recovering side panels. The 3.0 engine runs good and the out drive has been inspected and found good. I changed the gear lubrication in the lower unit. I changed the oil and all filters . Next I need to fix the leaking hatch cover. Standing on the deck of this boat is not a good idea out in the Chesapeake bay to anchor so I need to come up with a way to do that. , so hi ho hi ho back to work to work I go.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Much like Harroll, I spend most of last season restoring my Raven. New transom, stringers, and floor. As mine was a good price on Craigslist, I really had no idea at the time I bought it (Aug. 2008) of how rare Raven boats really are.

I've come a long way with the help of iBoats in the past 2 years. Although I still don't know much about Raven Boatworks, I feel these are well constructed boats. The previous owners abused the hell out of her for many years and she still remained trouble-free for 20+ years until I got into her.

Structurally both hull and deck glass were thicker than 1/4" which, IMHO, is pretty thick. The design of the hull cuts thru waves excellent as well. The craft is stable even in rough water.

Being that I have the 4 cyl. Volvo, I get excellent fuel economy. The cuddy is roomy enough to sleep 2 very comfortably. All in all a great boat. I just wish there was a better web resource for us Raven owners.

Stihl23

Recruit

I have a 1989 Raven bow rider with a 4.3 liter V-6 and Alpha One. I bought it from the original purchaser last spring and it had been in storage seven years. It looks showroom new and runs like new. It is a time capsule. The owner used it a few times and then stored it when his daughter married and moved out.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about pics Stihl? Does anyone have any factory brochures, etc that they could share?

Stihl23

Recruit

I have photos but have not figured out how to post them yet. Send me an email and I will email them to you.

I have the factory owners manual and paperwork but no brochures.

Status
Not open for further replies.