What year / model is this Grew boat?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
HI,

I picked up this partialy restored Grew boat a few weeks ago and the previous owner didn't know the year and model. It's 17ft and probably from around 1980 but I'm not sure.

The boat itself rides great! I had it out in the straight of georgia of the weekend and this boat takes the waves like a tank.

Pictures attached, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

No serial number on the exterior of the transom? Any photos of the interior?

Mark

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Nope, no serial numbers anywhere on the boat. I think when the restoration work was done he may have replaced the transom as it looks like new glass work.

Here are some pics of the interior and stern.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

After an exaustive search on the net I think I've found the model of this boat.

I measured my boat from bow to stern (16ft2inch) and the beam is 6.5ft. Now the previous owner told me it was a 17ft so that had been throwing me off.

The only model of grew from that era that matches these measurements is the 1980 Grew 164. This boat was an I/O like all there others from 79 to 81. At least that's what my impression was.

So this means that somewhere along the line this boat was converted from an I/O to an outboard drive. Looking closely at the transom and splash area in the back it seems plausible... either it was done really well and I just can't tell or it came from the factory like that.

Anybody out there have a picture of a 1980 Grew 164? or can you tell by the pics I've posted that this one is or is not a 164?

Thanks for your help!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

The 1980's models ending in 4 are nothing like your boat. They have vee shaped windshields and were not based on Slickcraft designs.
Your boat is a Grew SS170. Same as a Slickcraft SS170, but built in Penetang by Grew.
Would need a closer pic of the foredeck cleat, or the dash, but I would estimate 1971-1974.
Good hull.
Mahogany stringers.
There's hundreds of those boats still in use in the Muskokas and Kawarthas.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Hey thanks so much for your reply. I found one pic of a 69 slickcraft SS170 and it looks pretty close.

Here are some better pictures of my boat. Maybe you will be able to tell from these.

Thanks again!

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG