Motor Alignment question

201Liberator

Recruit
Ok first of all i must say this is a very useful forum and very knowledgable people who reply. So here goes, I have a 201 Liberator with a 5.7 King Cobra outdrive that i recently bought with a cracked block. The new engine is in so i decided it needed a new gimbal bearing, the question i have is whats a good starting point for leveling the engine for alignment. Should i have the boat completely level and set my level on the air cleaner and get the motor level, because its whiping my butt ! Since i didnt remove the motor i have no idea if they screwed the front motormount nuts up or down but it doesnt line up even close with the alignment tool. So any help or comment would be appreciated. Thanks Aaron

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Alignment question

I doubt having the boat or motor level is going to help.
Can you eyeball the rough alignment by sighting through the gimbal bearing? If not, I can only suggest trial and error to get it close; start with the mounts all the way down and turn both front mounts up two turns at a time, trying the alignment tool after each two turns.

I don't have a lot of experience with alignment so someone better qualified may have different advice. Good luck!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: Motor Alignment question

Should post this question in the omc repair part of the forum..
I say look though the bearing to the coupler.. Get it kinda close that way and use the alignment tool to get it perfected...